SAU Community

Windows 7 - What Do You Guys Think Of It?

KR4-GTR

does windows 7 require a hardware upgrade as most machines did when vista was installed? when i purchased one of my laptops it came with vista, but was running so slowly i took it off and put Xp back on - considering a test of 7, but if its likely to chew up alot of RAM then ill probably steer away. i've only got 1gb ram (not sure why they bothered installing vista on this machine to begin with)

Well to be honest yes work 32bit only.. You need 2Gb at least for 64bit but would't bother unless you have at least 4GB. Windows 7 will work alot better then vista.. but ram is not the only thing you need to worry about...

So your best chance is to go to the following link and run Windows upgrade advisor to see what it says..

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is Faster then Vista by a long shot and Windows XP by enough to be inpressive...

May be worth getting another stick of ram anyhow better performance and like R31Nismoid said it is cheap... Let me know what type of laptop and i can tell you if you can or can't upgrade ram the type and price if you want..

WINDOWS UPGRADE CHECK

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a few hours now, everythings still running sweet.

Couldnt get my head around the new pinning of icons, so i removed them all, then readded the quick launch bar and removed the 'task bar combining' feature so it makes it look like xp / vista again. I took a few screen shots. :D

I might give the pinning another go a bit later on, but will leave it off for now!

Havent found any faults yet this time around! Windows media centre, media player - etc and all the other programs now open sweet. My thoughts are that the original issues were caused by the incorrect driver installs.

post-54322-1256542202_thumb.jpg post-54322-1256542221_thumb.jpg post-54322-1256542275_thumb.jpgpost-54322-1256542852_thumb.jpg

Edited by KR4-GTR

uh huh. ok that makes sense. the first laptop i mentioned previously is an aser aspire 3680. (its pretty crap - i use it mainly for a media center, burning cd's watching movies, itunes, games, tv) and the second i have is a HP mini, which i use strictly for uni stuff, so just office 2007, google chrome, and adobe professional, and windows live. they're the only things installed on it. however i don't think you can upgrade these mini lones can you?

How bizarre, I have both of those machines sitting on my desk atm, both will run W7 fine with 1Gb of RAM, however, I have upgraded both of them to 2Gb for $60 (all up, the 1gb module from the Mini plugs in to the 3860) and they run even better.

that is indeed bizzare, where did you buy your ram from and are they compatible for both laptops of will i need different kinds?

my main concern is compatibility of software, i don't want to go installing W7 only to find out half my programs wont run smoothly on it.

i didnt have any problems in this space, if something didnt work - i just ran it in compatibility mode for xp or vista! :D

While we're on topic - if anyone wants any laptop ram or hard drives - let me know.

I have -

- 4GB DDR2 (2x 2GB sticks) laptop ram

- 320 GB SATA hard drives.

All brand new, taken out of DOA laptops which had cracked screens - etc. The brands will vary - samsung, western digital - etc.

Pickup or post is okay. Quick sale, $100 each. Let me know how many you want :thumbsup:

Note - As most of you would know - as per normal - you must be running a 64 bit OS to get the benefits of the full 4GB ram, otherwise you will still get a percentage usable, just not all of it :thumbsup:

PM me if your interested. :D

Edited by KR4-GTR

I got the memory from DigiWorld in Melbourne, it cost $60 for a 2gb Kingston SODIMM6400 (part no. KVR800D2S5/2G) The 1Gb chip from the HP Mini (1001TU) plugged straight into the Acer and worked fine.

that is indeed bizzare, where did you buy your ram from and are they compatible for both laptops of will i need different kinds?

my main concern is compatibility of software, i don't want to go installing W7 only to find out half my programs wont run smoothly on it.

You can always set the compatibilty mode back to Vista or XP.

Worked for everything i use thus far

No problems what so ever with Win7, I'm running Win7 ultimate 64bit on my machine and Win7 ultimate 32bit on g/f's machine, no probs at all. Drivers picked up fine, I did have to upgrade video and mobo drivers to make it run smoother but other than that, no problems at all would highly recommend it! (This is coming from a vista early adopter as well)

Note - As most of you would know - as per normal - you must be running a 64 bit OS to get the benefits of the full 4GB ram, otherwise you will still get a percentage usable, just not all of it :(

Not so with Windows 7. There is now no 4GB Ram limit in 32bit OS. So you can run as much as you like. Have a machine at work utilising 24GB of RAM on 32bit 7 OS.

On the netbook front, I have it running on an 1.7GHz Atom processor with 1GB Ram and it is doing just fine. About to test on 512MB Ram with shitty single core and see how it goes. Just for giggles of course.

Gotta do something that looks like work in teh IT field :D

awesome, but does the mini have room for additional ram? or is it limited due to its size? i dont want to open up and check since im not sure whats what at this stage.

No, there's only one memory slot in it, so I took the 1Gb out and replaced it with the 2Gb, the 1Gb chip went into another PC that I have.