SAU Community

Windows 7 - What Do You Guys Think Of It?

KR4-GTR

I think windows 7 runs a lot better than vista did on my computer. It uses about 600mb less ram when im just browsing sau and listening to music etc. Vista used to just kill my ram. BUT the only thing I hate about windows 7 is the lack of power options (high performance, power saver and balance etc) when you have a laptop. Just grinds me gears.

Like when you cant find the droid your looking for.....yeh, what gives with that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think windows 7 runs a lot better than vista did on my computer. It uses about 600mb less ram when im just browsing sau and listening to music etc. Vista used to just kill my ram. BUT the only thing I hate about windows 7 is the lack of power options (high performance, power saver and balance etc) when you have a laptop. Just grinds me gears.

Like when you cant find the droid your looking for.....yeh, what gives with that.

the power options are even more simplified really - i dont see what you mean by lack of options.

if you need to customise, just click advanced and do it

Hey Mayuri, a lot of the reports i have seen have steered me towards looking at purchasing 32 bit rather than 64 bit because compatability issues are a problem with software etc. Have you had any problems at all?

64bit would be good, even though i am running the dual e8400 i still have 4gb ram so i thought the advantages of running 4gb at full capacity in 64 bit would be good, but not for the sake of being able to use any previous software.

So far, so good and I'm liking it very much :wub:

Just upgraded from XP 32 bit to 7 Professional 64 bit, couldn't believe how much easier and quicker it was to install than XP. The 64 bit version hasn't had an issues so far with installing all my programs and devices.

I only had a few small problems but pretty sure that was me not getting video drivers right and trying to get the second screen going... it kept making the second screen the primary one every time I plugged it in... was easy sorted.

Other then that, Ram hasn't really gone past 60% no matter what I'm doing... There are some wicked gadgets on my desktop helping me to keep an eye on everything :D

I'm probably more impressed at my new hardware then the OS though :D

Compared to Vista and XP windows 7 has probly had the smoothest launch to date. In my opinion ive also found that it runs a lot better then both vista and xp aswell, aside from a few drivers for devices not working but that will be fixed in the comming months just like any new OS.

Looks better then vista and pretty much runs faster then xp. Its got my vote.

7 decided to bin my video card drivers and boot up in 800x600 this morning :down:

Kind of shit when you're normally in 1920x1080 with a second screen I now have to setup all over again...

My cpu that normally idles at 1 or 2 percent is beaing raped by all the aero shit it's being made to do... It's fluxuating anywhere between 50 and 80% on all 4 cores!

Your car is made by ATI? That explains why it's shit :down:

Well I just looked for an update, and it was the same file I downloaded when I first built the computer, so I just re-installed it and now it works... Not too happy with Windows 7 taking the initiative there...

Setup was easy though, once the drivers were re-installed, everything went back to normall, even the placement of the icons on the desktop!

oh pipe down lol, im doing 3 things at once at the moment, made a lot of spelling mistakes today :down:

Wow - a corrupted driver issue has never done that for me, sounds like a random bug perhaps?

Anytime my display drivers have died - (i did toy with stuff 6 months ago that was causing issues) - i never got my desktop back the same way lol. It always went to shit!

Was annoying but at least i worked out my problem - Ati 9.4/9.5/9.6 drivers all had some underlying issue that they wouldn't admit.

Low and behold from 9.7 onwards my random crashing was gone. Pity they never admitted to it in the release/update notes

Yeah I thought it was most pecurliar that they went back to where they were... I've never seen that either.

I'm assuming the settings and preferances were still there on the computer, but were over-ridden by a windows 7 update or some crap... It's just nice that they icon placement is a preferance! :down:

Hey Mayuri, a lot of the reports i have seen have steered me towards looking at purchasing 32 bit rather than 64 bit because compatibility issues are a problem with software etc. Have you had any problems at all?

So far none at all. Which is why I said the 64bit compatibility surprised me, I was expecting it to be crap considering I run a bunch of old (& newish) Jap & Chinese games, but once installed even those ran with no problems at all on Win 7 64bit. I set up a dual boot with 32bit XP just for that purpose but currently that OS isn't being used at all, & plus I'm used to the 5 second boot up from win 7 I get from my SSD, the boot up time with XP on a standard HDD in compassion has now become unbearable... :)

About the only problems I had was that some of my Jap games (Fate Stay Night is one I remembered) needed me to run the setup file as admin & I had to set the region for non-union code programs to Jap before it installed.

Otherwise no problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...

It's still deleting my video drivers every now and then... I've probably reloaded them 5 times now? I keep the install file on my desktop...

fkn annoying... and I can't seem to find a fix for it.

so far soo good, seems to run as fast as XP, even better on some aplications and games. except for MW2........if i run full anti aliasing i get directX errors telling me its run out of video memory........which i never got with XP. and the vid card is more than capable. anyone else had similar problems?

nope, that sounds more like hardware/drivers then 7

I also just found out that it deleted my audio drivers too...

I dunno what's going on, computer management says they're there and working but there's no audio playing... really starting to piss me off...