• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-35676-1257602772_thumb.jpg

post-35676-1257602889_thumb.jpg

I still love F430s, my favourite Ferrari and i would own one in a heartbeat if i had the cash. I'd obviously take a LP640 anyday over the F430. However i dont think its fair to compare the two, LP640 being around $700,000AUD and a F430 being around $450,000AUD.....

You could have a second hand F430 and a fairly nice house for the cost of the lambo :rofl:

Edited by PM-R33

Bad news. My dream of driving the LP640 is over.

To summarise a long and complex story - the guy who runs the hire place tried to screw me over insuring the car.

They recommended a 3rd party insurance agency who "they use all the time and could sign me up for on the day".

Im reasonably skeptical when it comes to these matters so I did some research myself and found that the 3rd party company only insures cars with a value of US$100,000 or less. I spent a long time on the phone to insurance agencies, online and trying to get information out of the rental shop about what to do. In the end there is no way for me to insure this car.

The whole episode has scarred me - all the time I spent trying to make this work, plus the massive disappointment. I will still rent an exotic for the day, but now nothing will compare to the excitement I had built up for the LP640.

At this stage I am waiting on the AU$1550 rental cost to be refunded, after that I will book a car from another company who offers real insurance.

I sure hope they refund me ASAP so I can get over it and think about another option.

So much passion for Lambos!

Hire car company has said they processed the refund, its not in my account yet but im comfortable with making another booking.

New shortlist (no other company on the west coast has another LP640 so its not an option anymore)

F340

Gallardo Spyder

997 Turbo Coupe

F360

Audi R8

Should be able to get most of these cars, not 100% sure about cost yet but most will probably be affordable and insurable.

Any other cars that come to mind?

You do know that the R8 has the same engine and drivetrain as the Gallardo, so really they aren't that different. Bit of an over statement saying it is a stretched TT.

Personally i would choose the F430 from that list hands down.

If it is the V8 R8 then nah that's just a RS4 with less doors :happy:

All things including price being equal I would get the gallardo spyder...besides bar the ferraris the others are 4wd so if you floor it and you're not prepared there's a higher chance you'll be able to catch and control it.

If you want some dorifto then try the F430.

Gallardo Spyder.

Once again, Raging Bull vs My Little Pony vs trumped up VW Beetle vs stretched TT.

No contest.

lol!! More like Raging Audi R8 V10!!

You do know that the R8 has the same engine and drivetrain as the Gallardo, so really they aren't that different. Bit of an over statement saying it is a stretched TT.

Personally i would choose the F430 from that list hands down.

Engine is not the same - R8 V8 has the same engine as an Audi S6. R8 V10 is similar to Gallardo. From everything I have read, even though they share components they are a massively different experience to drive so technically they may be similar but in driving that means nothing.

Im having trouble finding an F430.. As usual the rental places are giving different stories on price etc depending on who I speak to. Its starting to get to me pretty bad, im half tempted to not book anything ahead of time and deal with these guys face to face when I get there.

Looks like the two realistic choices are now:

Quotes from shop 1 - two different guys $US

R8 quote from person 1:

1375/24hours

2500 excess - secured on credit card

50 miles included, $2/extra mile

Audi R8 - person 2

Minimum 2 day hire @ $1200/day

$20,000 excess, $10k secured on credit card

$1/extra mile

R8 quote from person two:

Two day minimum hire @ $1200 per day

50 miles included, $1/extra mile

Person 1 told me there is a $7500 excess on the Italian supercars and $2500 on Germans.

Shop 2

Gallardo Spyder:

12,500 excess

$2500 bond

$1700/24hrs Inc. 100miles.

$1.50/extra mile pre purchased or else $1.75/mile

$20,000 excess is ridiculous so im tending towards the Gallardo from shop 2 or else try and get the $2500 excess $1375 deal for the R8 from shop 1.

What do you reckon?

Go the Lambo for sure. Cheap insurance - the one perk of getting older.

The insurance from most places costs the same regardless of age, you just need to be at least 21/25 depending on the type of car - in the US anyhow.

Im seriously tending towards the Gallardo with the $15k excess. Its probably not the best idea but assuming nothing goes wrong it would be crazy!

still say the lambo. again because of the sound. just ignore the fact that the steering wheel is off to the side a little bit.

wouldn't bother with the 997 turbo as they are slow. well they are fast, but not that fast because they are heavy. round a track the natro, rwd little brother (gt3) will be quicker.

don't mind the r8, but unless it was the v10 version i wouldn't bother. and if it was the v10 version i'd be too worried about it catching fire.

I cant believe im doing this... but I just made a non refundable booking.

Booked an orange Gallardo Spyder. 08 model with e-gear.

The deal I negotiated was $US2275 including insurance for two drivers, 24hours and 640kms

$2500 deposit and 12,500 excess.

Travel insurance covers 4k of rental excess so hopefully if there is any small damage it would be covered.

Have I gone mad? I think so!

Ha ha ha... Believe it or not I've driven both those cars. The ferarri I drove in Monaco--- was cool, the sound in the tunnel was sweet, but eh. The lambo was fkn cool (boss' car, I had to drop him off and drive it back to the yacht in Miami) and fast man, awd was brilliant.

Good choice bud, have fun in vegas.

PS. The most fun exotic car I've ever driven was a modified tesla (electric)... instant torque/power and silent! You could fry the tyres waaaay to easily

You made a good choice! 640km is 24 hours do you plan on using up the full quota? :banana:

12,500 excess seams pretty reasonable.

Have fun!

Assuming all goes well, I sure do plan on using all those kms! In fact they car only came with 100miles, I paid extra for the next 300 :)

I figure this is a pretty rare opportunity so I may as well make the most of it!

Ha ha ha... Believe it or not I've driven both those cars. The ferarri I drove in Monaco--- was cool, the sound in the tunnel was sweet, but eh. The lambo was fkn cool (boss' car, I had to drop him off and drive it back to the yacht in Miami) and fast man, awd was brilliant.

Good choice bud, have fun in vegas.

PS. The most fun exotic car I've ever driven was a modified tesla (electric)... instant torque/power and silent! You could fry the tyres waaaay to easily

Thanks for the reassurance!

Ive been in LA since yesterday, currently enjoying a 4 door Toyota Corolla before I upgrade to the Lambo next week :P

• 2 weeks later...