SAU Community

Your Opinion.

ok so im due to go overseas soon and wont be driving my car for atmost a month.

should i get someone to turn the car or the engine on once in a while during the time i am gone? or dont need to?

whats the main theory behind this anyway? :thumbsup:

Cheers guys.

Hey Ogz,

The main reason why people get other people to run the car once a week while their gone is to keep the battery charged up. While you are not using your car, your alarm system, clocks etc are still running. Most people will just get someone to turn on their car, leave it in idle for about 5-10 minutes once a week.

That being said, I've left my car untouched for two weeks, coming back from Holiday and the car started without any issues. But that also depends on the condition of your battery.

The other thing I've heard people do is just unplug their battery before leaving, this will stop the car from draining it while you're gone.

Your battery might die in a month if you don't have the car started weekly, or you could just disconnect it.

Also, I think your fuel might start deteriorating, anyone feel free to correct me on that :thumbsup:

Ogz beat me to it, haha

Edited by GoldV35

i think you should just unplug your battery as well while you are gone.

+1

I've done a couple of 1-2 month stints away and this seems to have been the best bet. I also removed the battery and put it elsewhere just to add to the challenge of potential theivery. It won't stop anyone, but it will make it harder.

ok this may sound stupid...but if you have the battery out and the car locked....when u next open the door with the key ...with no battery the window doesn't drop...will that potentially wreck the window or the a-pillar?

good point, but i think if only done it once won't be a problem. or you should wind the window down A bit.

That's a good point. You can make sure your door is open when you disconnect the battery, that way the window has already come down the specific amount. When you close the door to lock up, it won't go back up as the battery is already disconnected. Hopefully your window won't be open too much to allow dust etc to get in.

thanks guys! appreciate it. my battery is about 2 and half months old... so it should be okay. and yes i will see if it blows up a black smoke once turned on after a month - showing some detoriation =p

good point, but i think if only done it once won't be a problem. or you should wind the window down A bit.

Yes good point indeed. Havent had to think about it with the 35 yet, my experience was all with my old R33. Ah the simplicity (comparatively!)

I had like 6-8 weeks before, no issues... and that is on my old R33 which at that time had a 10 yr old battery original from japan.

if you're worried, yeah just disconnect the battery. I would close all window, pop bonnet, close all doors, lock it, and disconnect the battery, and leave the boot lid down so you can lift it back up without having to worry about the window glass gets clipped over the top by opening the door without power.

it's better than leaving the window open for spiders, etc to crawl into your car while you're away 4 weeks. you'd be amazed how fast they can colonise your interior in a day or 2, let alone 4 weeks.

If the car will be parked in a garage near a power point, plan C is to buy a trickle charger and leave it plugged in to mains.

Your car will still be secured with an active immobiliser, you won't lose your clock and radio presets, and you don't have to worry about breaking glass.

With some of them, the leads are long enough for you to be able to run the wires out the grille so you can leave the bonnet latched as well.

I've left my Z33 unattended for 3 weeks with the battery disconnected, and the car started up first go when I plugged it back in.

Edited by scathing

yeh i think i might just leave it, it should be okay since the battery is not that old. car will have a car cover while kept in the garage. thanks for the pointers, if ill be gone for more than 4 weeks i will disconnect it next time.

so in conclusion, the main point is the battery so nothing got to do with the engine side of things? (im still keeping your word Gold! hehe)

anyway thanks again.

rs73 is on the money

i just came back from 1 month overseas

and i d/c the battery, left the hood closed, but not fully closed.

when i came back from os i just lifted the hood and i plugged the battery in.

no issue with the window clipping.

You see the 350z Battery and V35 from Japan battery size are totally different. The AU 350z have larger battery and the V35 have smaller battery which is typical japanese on all their cars.

Therefore the 350z hold the battery longer than the V35 can.