SAU Community

Fuel Pump Problem?

Draen

My car won't start at the moment and trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

The starter motor is cranking but the engine just won't start

Lately I have been having some problems which might help to diagnose this problem:

One time I had low fuel and the car wasn't running right. It had flat spots when I was revving it in the higher revs. Also at one stage it did stall as I was driving along.

I refueled the car and it seemed fine after that. Then yesterday as the fuel tank was close to empty the same problem occured (Car flatspotting at low and high revs this time and then it stalled as I was driving).

Today I can't even start the car. It sounds like a fuel problem to me.

I have recently changed the spark plugs and did a compression test (close to 150psi across all cylinders). What are your thoughts?

Hey r33cruiser

I got NRMA to come check it out - and they fixed it. Supposedly the plug for the crank sensor wasn't on properly.

Does that explain the flatspotting and engine stall though? Anyone care to comment? Going to go for a drive soon to check it out.

Do you still have the stock pump as far as you know? it could be explained by a 20 year old fuel pump, sometimes it's the wiring, though usually it takes a new pump to expose the wirings in-ability to supply more than 11 amps (I think thats what the stock pump draws max)