SAU Community

6 Months: The R35 And 13 Track Days

LSX-438

Well I've had the R35 for 6 months now. I've done eight rounds of the NSW Sprint Championship and about five practice days. The car has run faultlessly over those 13 track days thus far. The final NSW Supersprint round was wound up a couple of weeks back, somehow I ended up with the State Title outright, thanks to this exceptional road car.

For anyone interested, here is the score card for the 2009 NSW Sprint series:

Round 1 - Did not run, waiting for GTR to be delivered!

Round 2 - Oran Park GP - 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.17.34) 2nd for Outright points

Round 3 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1:05:35) 2nd for Outright points

Round 4 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1:46.75) 10th for Outright points

Round 5 -

- 1st in Type and Class, 2nd for Outright points

Round 6 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.16.90) 3rd for Outright points

Round 7 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.44.80) 3rd for Outright points

Round 8 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.16.76) 4th for Outright points

Round 9 -

- 1st in Type and Class, FTD (46.37) 1st for Outright Points

Leading into round 9, I was a single point behind the outright leader Jason Hart. In order to win, with just one round remaining, I needed a two point outright win over Jason for the last round, to avoid a tie with Jason and subsequent countback (where he would have won). Given i had already won my type and class for the year, i took the advantage to run slicks, a tune and reduced weight (removed front and rear pax seats). Thus effectively switching classes - running in type SV with slicks - thus falling into Type 4 - hopefully maximising my chances for outright points in a last ditch grab to secure the outright Championship. It was a bit of a long shot that paid off....

Result: I was lucky enough to finish fastest on the day! with Stuart Inwood running second, and Jason Hart third, thus yielding a single point margin ahead of Jason to win the NSW Championship outright. I couldnt believe it.

Special thanks o the following who supported me throughout the season:

Willall Racing

Martin put together a good package on his Tranmission fluid and mid-pipe earlier in the year to get me started. Then followed up at the final round (where i could run ECU mods) with his RPM based WGDC control tune to provide the edge on power (yet delivered in a linear fashion) perfect for my circuit racing application. Results speak for themselves, thanks Martin.

Russo Performance and Big Banger Lautray

For help with those fiddly jobs requiring a hoist (mid-pipe and transmission fluid swap) Russo provided readines to help support a sap like me hack up a new R35 - greatly appreciated guys! And Erik, massive thanks for all your support throughout the year man, awesome, i value your mateship and support. Jeez, who else would help pull apart the R35 hubs at midnight leading up to a track day?

Donnellans Tyres Box Hill, Otomoto Wheels and Joel!

Donnellans for the Enkies and good supply of RE55's (sometimes an issue getting supply of those).. good prices, always delivered on time. Donnellans are the biggest Bridgestone dealer in the country. Tyres are the No.1 modification in my book. Thanks to Otomoto for getting those Rota rims in too, they paid off, despite the nay sayers. And special thanks to Joel for getting me those p-cup slicks as well, cheers mate. They played a key role, and will next year i think. Now, get me a couple dozen more! (please?)

Wholesale Suspension Penrith

Matt and Luke devised a clever option to modify front suspension bushes to yield a further -1* of negative camber on the R35. They also looked after my setup all season, thanks guys! Sorry i didnt put a credit in the last video, it slipped my mind (will edit asap, promise!). A steak dinner is coming your way Matt.

VSport Sydney

Supply of Rotors, Pads, wheel studs/nuts, brake and diff fluids etc. John Healey at VSport has often gone BEYOND the call to get parts and fluids to me at the last minute. Critical support yet again, thanks John.

What next?

Dunno! More track days i suppose. Currently digesting the 2010 season rules which were released this last weekend.

Moral of the story: good example showing just how solid and robust the R35 actually is, capable of dealing with many repeated track assults, faultlessly and almost effortlessly.

Great car!

Edited by LSX-438

Round 1 - Did not run, waiting for GTR to be delivered!

Round 2 - Oran Park GP - 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.17.34) 2nd for Outright points

Round 3 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1:05:35) 2nd for Outright points

Round 4 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1:46.75) 10th for Outright points

Round 5 -

- 1st in Type and Class, 2nd for Outright points

Round 6 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.16.90) 3rd for Outright points

Round 7 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.44.80) 3rd for Outright points

Round 8 -

- 1st in Type and Class, new lap record (1.16.76) 4th for Outright points

Round 9 -

- 1st in Type and Class, FTD (46.37) 1st for Outright Points

Top effort, love it...

PS> I read the thread while the video was playing, so all I could hear was the car while reading...

Guessing they are restricting you next season?

Must feel good to achieve such results in a new car. Any targa plans?

In general the AWD Turbo rules have been revised for 2010 yes. I suppose to tighten up the competition a bit, which is fair enough i suppose. I didnt realise the R35 would have enough speed to run towards the pointy end. Great road/track car, despite it's elephant proportions and hefty 1700+ kegs.

Probably time to send through a transmission oil sample LSX-438, or even perform an 'over summer' changeout of the fluid. After all you would be up to about 100 litres of the factory GR6 brew by now :P

Good point, i wonder how many times i would have had to switch our the stocker gr6 fluid. Although i am very careful to keep the temps down (manageable with only 3 or 4 hot laps for SS format) and i always spend extra time cooling the car afterwards too. I am not sure i want to know what floaty bits are in the tranny fluid. Time for a fluid refresh though.

• 3 months later...

Duncan

I am in the process of buying some Enkei wheels with some Dunlop Direzza 295/35/18's.Did you use any spacers when you used your wheels? Did everything fit ok?

Regards

Mark.

Duncan

I am in the process of buying some Enkei wheels with some Dunlop Direzza 295/35/18's.Did you use any spacers when you used your wheels? Did everything fit ok?

Regards

Mark.

The enkei gtc01 18x10 with a 22mm offset fits fine. It will stick out in the front and in on the back. You could put a 15mm spacer on the back to even it out a bit. It doesnt look the best but it works. Heaps of caliper clearance on these rims (the best of ANY 18" you will find).