SAU Community

R34 Bulbs

Hi guys,

Going to replace my xenon bulbs with new ones and I've read that I can use either d2c's or d2r's. Is this correct, whats the difference if that is the case???

I live in the NT and its almost impossible to get defected so I was thinking about getting 8000K bulbs but my mate said they just don't produce enough light so I was going to get 6000k instead as I've already got a pair of the stock 4300s which I'll use for rego. What do you think 6000's or 8000's???

i'm using d2c globes. simple plug in and play. no idea what's the differences are.

they all produce the same amount of light, just different colours are produced with different k's. the higher the k's the more blue/purple colour is produced but also the less the amount of cut is able to cut through rain/fog.

im running 8000k in my headlights, they produce very good lighting driving in good weather at night. but when i use them through rain and fog, standard ones are heaps better. the standard ones dont reflect off the rain/fog and just simple cuts through it. for example, drove through Melbourne fog one night with the standard and it was like normal, still able to see everything in front of me. drove with the 8000k, no chance.

For my friend's R34 GT-T, I bought him a D2C kit and it fit fine.

While on the topic.. for those who already have standard xenon bulbs, if we wanted to upgrade, would the standard ballast be up for the job so I just need to purchase the bulbs separately? Or would a replacement kit (bulbs and ballast) be recommended?

I feel that the brightness of my stock xenons are pretty weak (but kelvin rating is fine with me) compared with the aftermarket kit I had in my previous car.

Edited by UnCo

For my friend's R34 GT-T, I bought him a D2C kit and it fit fine.

While on the topic.. for those who already have standard xenon bulbs, if we wanted to upgrade, would the standard ballast be up for the job so I just need to purchase the bulbs separately? Or would a replacement kit (bulbs and ballast) be recommended?

I feel that the brightness of my stock xenons are pretty weak (but kelvin rating is fine with me) compared with the aftermarket kit I had in my previous car.

Just make sure they are the same wattage. (From memory 36W)

I find my stock xenons are not that bright either, especially on wet nights or if there is alot of street lights. but if i go somewhere pitch black like in the country xenons are much better then the standard halogens.

The lights should be available from the Nissan dealer, if not you can source the lights from any BMW or Mercedes dealer.

Ah thanks I didn't even think about that!

In my previous car I had a 55W aftermarket kit. That would explain it!

I guess the only real way to improve them would be to upgrade the ballasts along with it then.

I hope it's not too hard to remove the stock ballasts.

the higher kelvin temperature you go the less light is outputted 4300k is the brightest light

all oem hid lights are 35w

d2c/s lights are used for projector lights housings

post-66333-1257889682.jpg

d2r lights are used in reflector housing housings ( r34 type )

post-66333-1257889851_thumb.jpg

:note the d2c metal blocking guard

Edited by cthawes

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here upgraded their OEM xenon lights to a 55w kit rather than just changing the bulbs?

Do you need to remove the headlights to reach the stock ballasts? I haven't really had a good look at it yet.. but if the headlights need to be taken out to reach the ballasts then it'll be more annoying to do :action-smiley-069:

Has anyone here upgraded their OEM xenon lights to a 55w kit rather than just changing the bulbs?

Do you need to remove the headlights to reach the stock ballasts? I haven't really had a good look at it yet.. but if the headlights need to be taken out to reach the ballasts then it'll be more annoying to do :action-smiley-069:

You do not need to remove the head lights - on a stock system. The ballasts are just under the headlight assembly.

If you want to upgrade to the 55w kit I think it is best to upgrade the ballasts too as it will require higher current flow.

But before upgrading to 55w xenons you will have to consider a few things. Most 3rd party ballasts out there are inferior quality to the genuine nissan ones, any decent ones cost quite alot - philips branded ballasts. The polycarbonate lense on the r33/r34 will yellow from the inside substantially - I think something to do with radiation from the xenon light - basically it "cooks" the lense.