SAU Community

r34 GT-t sub options

Abo Bob

Ok lets just get one thing straight... I NEED a sub in my car. I refuse to put 6x9's in and ever since my home stereo went from 1600 watt PA speakers to Monitor Audio Silver series my ears have become fussy.

I intend to figure out the inside of my car myself (with the help of a shop and people feel free to suggest a quality installer not too far from the eastern suburbs of Sydney cos I'm not from here originally) but sub wise I'm short of information.

My initial thought is to mount a really nice 10" right in the hole behind the armrest and fold it down when stereo is on. If room allows I'd like it to be in a ported (to the front) enclosure but I don't think it's worth while porting it if I can't fit a big enough baffle in to keep the driver far enough away from the port. (Could a tube style port work here?)

Perhaps I should just mount the 10" on a board that seals the interior from the boot?

It has also been suggested to me that I could put a 12" (or maybe 2) back in the corner of the boot instead but it doesn't feel right to me.

Sorry for the long post but my audio knowledge is rusty (and originally learnt from the PA side of things) and I'd like to go to an installer with as much info in my head as possible.

PS Should there be a light in my boot, cos if there is it aint working?

If u just mount it like that, u'll need a free to air sub, most subs work best in a box made with the correct volume to that sub, either ported or sealed.

sealed would be the tightest bass, which i assume is what u want judging by the way u talk about ur home audio setup. Ported would be more bassy and not as accurate.

General rule for sizes is 10inch for 5inch splits, 6inch splits = 12inch subs, and 15's are for 8inch splits .

I think FHRX installs in sydney...not sure though, im not from syd (:

msg him..he can show u pics he's done im sure.

In most Skyline's where the owner just wants a little bottom end we usually install a 10" in a small sealed enclosure under the parcel shelf.

I certainly do install in Sydney and I'm more than happy to advise you on your R34 system.

Simply email me on [email protected] or visit our website. :D

marty did my R33 and i am very happy with the result, the R34 has a little more space in the boot (i believe) so a few more options for you.

the 10" sub is tucked away in a small box, neat install with tight bass.

give him a call

Anyone have any experience of big amps/subs causing HICAS to go all weird? A couple of people have reported such problems on the UK boards. I'm just wondering 'cause I have an amp/sub waiting to go into my R34, but I've been put off until I can be sure my car aint going to be shaking its ass to da music! :D

:headbang:

Dave

I've just put in a soundstream picasso, 1 farad cap and a phoneix gold crossover in the aclove where the hicas computer resides (If the hicas computer is the one on the left hand side of the boot then the amp is sitting directly under it, I had to bend the computer bracket so that the computer sits about an inch higher than standard). Also got a temporary 1&1/2 cubic ft box with a 12 inch soundstream exact floating in the boot which will changed to a 1 cubic ft box and anchored into the right hand corner possibly next week. I have had this for just over a week now and haven't had any problems with the hicas.

Thanks guys. I have spoken to Fhrx and am going a small box but high powered 10" in that hole on the shelf in the boot. The amp will also be able to run two of the internal speakers and they will have sound deadening put behind them. I'm going for a new deck but will leave the rest of the interior till the next time I want to waste some money in this direction.

This is a bloody addiction. I only just bought the car and I'm lining up this stereo upgrade, new zorst and bilsteins to go in over the next month.

Am I crazy?

no (: keep going!

luckily i'll have all my audio already done from this car so when i buy my new car in 2 months time i dont have to worry about it, i can concentrate on some mods for the car. Currently have a honda accord...so theres not much i can do except audio ! but when i get my s14...my car audio bug will go away i think.

I'm more worried about sound waves bouncing off each other in the boot before they get to the cabin making the sound muddier. One of the first things I learnt about sound (and like I said my knowledge is not car audio) is not to put speakers in corners.

You can tell what I mean if you go home and move your speakers into the corners of your room with some volume. Walk around the room and move your head up and down and you'll notice that there are far more spots with strange things going on like dead spots and woofy vibrating bass areas (bad explanation I know). Basically in some areas you are getting phase cancellation and in others the waves are actually amplifying each other but because the waves for each frequency are different lengths different frequencies will be affected in different parts of the room.

I don't know if the corner of a boot is that much of an issue because the only sound reflecting material in there is the boot lid itself but I guess I would need to hear a setup like that or at least have it described to me in detail to understand. Maybe the lower frequencies will be stronger in that setup because the waves have further to travel before they get to your ears??? Then again I suppose that's what an eq is for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I have just purchased an R34 and am looking to install a full sound system too. i was wondering if anyone had any photos of their boot install/setup. i wanna get some ideas of where to have things placed etc... any help would be great!

and 666DAN: what "battery compartment area in the boot" ? i was looking in my boot last nite [for a very long time], and cannot think of where u r talking about... ?

Ha ha. In the R33's there is a battery compartment on that shelf behind the back seat but it's not there in the R34, that's why 666DAN was able to put a sub there.

I've been a bit slack with mine but it is coming along. My box has been built but I haven't covered it yet or done any of my wiring.

And Wolverine, if you're reading this, I sppreciated your offer, I just bumped into someone with one and heard it then. Cheers mate.

have the sub or subs facing towards the ass end of the boot, the bass reflects off the boot and back in the cabin better and stronger. most people face them forwards but its better facing them backwards, much more effictive (well in a coupe anyway).

ive got 2 x 12" aplines facing outwards in my boot, kicks ass. amps are under the parcel shelf, causes no problems with hicas

i wanted to get my subs in the parcel shelf or facing forwards but was warned highly against it, much more effective facing the other way

get some good 6" door splits with something behind them as backing, will sound good

amp all the speakers too if you can, amping the fronts and subs only isnt as effective as amping them all