SAU Community

Superlap 2010 Ramblings

Bozman1

That late RX7 that Glenney was driving rocked my world too. 1:40's it was doing. I don't think he could use full throttle either as it was breaking down? So I want that RX7 too. Please.

Sir.

The GT Auto Garage FD? I think it's been for sale for a while. Would love to buy it..

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loved comparing these 2 laps! Such different cars and lines.

I think the drifting is fantastic but should be in 30 min sessions with constant action. No need to have a battles. Just entertain. They do it well. Especially Beau in the AE86.

If anyone has pics of my car please post em up. Thanks.

i have a few pics of your car russ... im slowly going through them all.. there are a couple of good shots of you.

The GT Auto Garage FD? I think it's been for sale for a while. Would love to buy it..

Yeah thats it I think? The white one that Steve was driving. I heard the figure of 50k thrown around, a buit rich to my mind, but still a good car :(

ahhh well the national and some of the state sports sedans guys would use it, and so would the Formula SAE, and so would holden and ford. And together that would book it out for about 1 month and then it would go broke :(

Right now I understand the only tunnel here is the half size one at Monash.

I think you will find it not half size? I am mostly going on what an SAE guy was telling me and what i subsequently read on their site

http://www.monash.edu.au/research/infrastr...80&vidp=221

Marlin, I disagree about the smoke and mirrors testing too. :ermm: Sure, its not perfect. But there are plenty of guys around the world building very competitive hill climb cars etc and all they generally have available to them is simple testing and some good empirical data. Publications like Racecar Engineering etc have done plenty of articles on DIY Aero testing over the years....I bet the F1 guy has forgotten more then any of us are likely to ever know but perhaps is he also likely to dismissive of anything that isnt open wheelers or from iber educamacation on twirly things and big budgets where they all wear the same shirts, hair cuts and pocker protectors :rant:

I would agree regarding that you would need to really know what you are doing to take aero any further then what some of the cars already have, and at what cost and risk of going backwards. But always the victim of reading too much and never doing, I would believe there are gains from simply checking the placement/heights of wings, the size of end plates etc. Just throwing some dye over the surfaces and going for a spin can give you a good idea of what the aero is doing.

LOL, yeh i know...its all backyward amatuer hour stuff. :( But at the cost of tunnel time I would suspect you would need to do plenty of amatuer hour testing in order to be focussed in the tunnel.

Yeah thats it I think? The white one that Steve was driving. I heard the figure of 50k thrown around, a buit rich to my mind, but still a good car :(

Yeah, i remember seeing him receive the 'Fastest Rotary' award. The RX7s from the weekend have certainly got me considering one for a circuit car!

Argh, bloody Superlap. Got silly ideas going through my head. I can see myself being broke soon!

I think you will find it NOT half size? I am mostly going on what an SAE guy was telling me and what i read on their site

http://www.monash.edu.au/research/infrastr...80&vidp=221

Marlin, I disagree about the smoke and mirrors testing too. Sure, its not perfect. But there are plenty of guys around the world building very competitive hill climb cars etc and all they generally have available to them is simple testing and some good empirical data. Publications like Racecar Engineering etc have done plenty of articles on DIY Aero testing over the years....I bet the F1 guy has forgotten more then any of us are likely to ever know but perhaps is he also likely to dismissive of anything that isnt open wheelers?

I would agree regarding that you would need to really know what you are doing to take aero any further then what some of the cars already have, and at what cost and risk of going backwards. But always the victim of reading too much and never doing, I would believe there are gains from simply checking the placement/heights of wings, the size of end plates etc. Just throwing some dye over the surfaces and going for a spin can give you a good idea of what the aero is doing.

LOL, yeh i know...its all backyward amatuer hour stuff. :ermm: But at the cost of tunnel time I would suspect you would need to do plenty of amatuer hour testing in order to be focussed in the tunnel.

How DARE you disagree with me!?!?! :( lol

Understand what you're saying mate, and maybe I should clarify a bit.

We have done aero testing to a degree, lipstick cameras, kevlar tape, that kind of thing.

And yes, much reading of publications such as the one you mention and magnification of race car photographs has gone into what the 34 has. Therefore, what we have now is a pretty good effort considering the technology readily available to us, and the budget. We have one or two other things we've wanted to do but just ran out of time (think long rear diffuser and side skirt modifications) , and the undertray I think is a very good design.

What is harder to do than the easy to see topside stuff is the underbody fine tuning.

If you were here you would have seen how standard the Cyber Evo appeared topside, but from what Tarzan told us, all the fancy stuff is underneath, NOT easily done on a sedan type car. Heck, looking undrneath it gave me nothing, I couldn't see past the F1 ground effect style side skirt carbon sheeting that was blocking the view of the fancy stuff going on!

Funniest 700 early morning voicemail messages I've ever received. LOL

0nly 700 i thought it would of been easily a 1000 voicemail messages lol

Had a great weekend the PanSpeed RX7 was a stand out for me.

BTW was just talking to a friend who know the Cyber Evo owner well - apparently this was it's last event and it is being retired.

At least it went out on a high note....it won the world series.

i was listening to the owner and indy from IS talking and the owner was suggesting that it has been a few years since they built the car and they want to get the EVO 10 working better but it is quiet hard to get it as quick as the current car. He suggested the car would finish up now but then he did say at the end - maybe wait and see or words to that effect.

And to my point above about the 180sx it was running around 250rwkw so not too shappy at all.

Matt

Well don't ask the SAU Members that were sitting on the turn 2 hill to assist with anything aero, we had enough trouble just setting up the tent..... :cheers:

post-1296-1274697254_thumb.jpg

post-1296-1274697280_thumb.jpg

forget the expenice rx7, what about the 180sx doing a 1:40. No pro driver either just a mug like the majority of us.

was that the blue one with a bit of aero in open?

edit: above post answered my question

Very impressive!

Yep Jess :cheers:

that is one tuff 180! do want!

I reckon...My Tarmac GTR was chasing him down the straight and couldnt pass in time so had to duck in behind for turn 1...I was like WTF???

Sorry I wasnt up in the tower for long when you came in...Hope you liked the view???