SAU Community

Refund Policy At A Dealer

I am in the process of buying a V35

unfortunately there has been a lot of hiccups and has been haggle for about a month since I paid deposit. the car been sitting at dealer for over a month now.

I have placed 2 deposits. first one is a holding deposit which on the receipt saids "fully refundable" if i change my mind.

second deposit which i gave to dealer is to allow registration for the car.

dealer has promised delivery date VERBALLY but it is not delivered due to more and more problems found in the car.

some problems include -

-airbag light came on ,

-bumper clips were missing because it was taken off the car during inspection when it was importing.

-bumper not align properly after clips refitted (maybe it was tightened up too much)

-cd does not eject,some thing block the cd entrance or somthin. it was fixed few weeks ago and thenit stops working again. (anyone know the cause and is it common?)

got MTA checked and said no accident history. however respray is found on bumper

I am afraid even if the cd player is fixed it might stop working again or it might create problem if I want to install "IPOD integration" like other members did in the forum. the car is now registered too.

if I decide not to proceed to buy, is there law that I can get all deposit refunded since verbally promised delivery did not happen. did not it was such a hassle to buy an import car!! :(

Edited by tonich

Hi mate, all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Alarm bells are ringing, get your 'fully refundable' deposit back and try and get the second deposit back, either way, cut it loose and look for a better car.

Also from now on, don't give any other dealer a 'second' deposit, thats just a bullshit way of doing business. They do that so you feel pressured into proceeding with the purchase even though issues arise.

And before you give the next dealer a first deposit, have the car checked more thoroughly, never ever rely on a dealers word.

'if I decide not to proceed to buy, is there law that I can get all deposit refunded since verbally promised delivery did not happen.'

You can still get the first deposit back for sure as is stated on the receipt, it is your right to change your mind, do not let them bully you into it.

If they decide to be smartarses, tell them you'll get the Office of Fair Trading involved, that usually shuts them up.

Re: your last sentence - This has nothing to do with being an import car or not, the same thing can happen on locally delivered toyotas as well if all those problems existed on the car and dealer can't fixed it. Any 2nd hand cars regardless japanese, euro, aussie holden/ford, import, aust delivered have potential to inherit all the problems you mentioned above depending on your luck, it is not a correct assumption to assume that buying import is such a hassle.

The main issue here is: Do you have in writing that the sale is SUBJECT to dealer being able to fix that problem prior to delivery of vehicle?

This is usually very common where condition of sale is usually 'subject to finance approval' - however when the car has problems often people

overlooked to have it in writing that problems such and such will be fixed by dealer, and if it's relying only on dealer's words then you've got

no legal ground. If you have it in writing, then you are eligible to get a refund since it was not your fault (not because you changed mind), but because the dealer are unable to deliver the car with problems fixed as promised in writing.

Just ask them nicely and see what they say. Verbal contract should be good enough not that it should have to that sort of stuff.

Who is the dealer?.... do they happen to advertise lots of cars on carsales as a private seller?

The main issue here is: Do you have in writing that the sale is SUBJECT to dealer being able to fix that problem prior to delivery of vehicle?

If you have it in writing, then you are eligible to get a refund since it was not your fault (not because you changed mind), but because the dealer are unable to deliver the car with problems fixed as promised in writing.

most of the things needed to be fixed is in writing. but it just take forever to fix. I guess next time should include " issues must be fixed and car must be delivered by xx/xx/xxxx" in writing.

I look forward for a delivery every weekend but I was disappointed every time. I am paying good money and I do not expect hassle like this.

it is not the dealer at haberfield. will not buy from them . not saying all their cars have problem abut just dont want to risk it.

Edited by tonich

it is 04 premium with stock 18" rims.

'tonich'', I'm guessing its a coupe right! What was the asking price? or how much did you end up paying for it, thats if the deal goes ahead, just interested in what Dealers are getting! Good Luck G.T.