SAU Community

Rb26 Light Rebuild

full_stick

I've just had 28060-5's installed in my R34 GTR. The engine has done close to 100,000km so I recently changed the timing belt and did all the other maintenance mods such as spark plugs, ancillary belts, water pump etc.

Anyway I want to put in some cams to bring the -5's on song a little earlier in the rev range and as the motor is stock I thought I'd ask what internals can I change while I'm doing it so I don't blow the engine. I don't want to spend too much as I'd like to stroke it one day but just can't afford to at the moment. Just a light rebuild or can I just change a few small things to make the engine a little stronger so there's less chance of it going boom with the -5's...

cheers...

A well maintained 26 wont just fail if everything is kept reasonably sane. A standard '89 shitter 26 with 140,000kms has done 590rwhp here in Perth, and is still going strong.

Keep the boost at 20psi or below, and ignition timing conservative.

Usually if a 26 fails, it will be due to the oil pump failing, or a bearing failure due to poor servicing. You might be unlucky enough to bust a piston ring, but don't rebuild it until you really need to.

^ Agreed. Stock heads are pretty good - it is entirely dependant on the initial condition. 100k kms doesn't mean a lot in overall terms, just get it inspected really.

If things are A-OK you could easily get 50,000km's from it. I know a few cars have done 35,000km's+ over a few years with 330-350rwkw 18-20psi... so no drama's there really.

Also another thing is turbo's failing - but you've eliminated that one as well so all is well.

Keep the power to around 300-330rwkw (16-18psi) and it should last quite a while without much drama until such a time as you are ready to build and chase the power the -5s are actually capable of

300-330rwkw is a walk in the park for them, easily 50rwkw shy of what they can do on a good motor.

IMO its very much debatable if cams offer any benefit in that regard.

All the Racepace 380-400rwkw -5 cars are using STOCK cams due to the fact they give better response where it counts - on the track/street, which is something you cannot really measure on a dyno at all.

Something to think about as if it were me, i wouldn't be doing cams based on the above. (i used stock cams for my 370rwkw RB25 as well, great response)

R31 Nismoid, you talkabout the use of stock cams giving better response where it counts - street and track but I've analysed the dyno results of two very similar setups to mine, both cars using -5's, one with cams and one without, and the vehicle with aftermarket cams seems to have much better power delivery all the way through the rev range.

Now I know you mentioned that this response can't be measured on the dyno. I'm just wondering whether you can elaborate a little as these dyno results were really my basis for this discussion. I thought it logical to change cams provided that I'm going to get better power consistently through the rev range.

Loaded up motors on a dyno are one thing.

The other is on/off part/low throttle, transient response between gear changes, mid throttle and similar.

None of which is at all easy to measure on a dyno if at all.

The cars were faster around the circuit, can't really argue that.

I've used stock cams in two setups now. Honestly i cannot say i have any less response than those with larger cams.

By Racepace's own testing the larger cam cars "feel" like they are faster, but reality it is not the case. A number of cars HAD larger cams and reinstalled the stockers.

Seems most people north of the Victorian border have a different view on the matter, so there are always points for and against, however that is what R&D is all about.

Finding what works for your setup.