SAU Community

Sorry Guys, Went With A Gt2

MGS996TT

haha... i saw that one coming from a mile away.. and its a fair call. no comment here as they are in the own little sub forum, so is the r35, however its on the main page, right at the top.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha... i saw that one coming from a mile away.. and its a fair call. no comment here as they are in the own little sub forum, so is the r35, however its on the main page, right at the top.

hahaha! :(

given that there are 5 models in the 80's and 90s... each with atleast 3 trim levels... getting an r35 pic when you type in skyline is, like you say, 1 in 15 chance... but type in r35 skyline and there should be no images found, as its not called a skyline, but alas... there are many many images with the full r35 skyline in the image title..

the fact that it is on this very forum shows that its considered a skyline.

Sorry to be seen to be pedantic but if you type in the phrase box "r35 skyline" you get about 12,000 images. So yes there are "many" images with "r35 skyline" in the title. If you type in 2009 GTR you get a million hits That means just 1% of images are incorrectly labelled "R35 skyline" out of all R35 GTR images available on the net...... So really in the marketing world that would be deemed a massive fail if you wanted everyone to call the new GTR an R35 skyline....

And the reason its on this forum is because the subgroup was started when it was still a concept car and the name had yet to be released. Most people thought of it as the new skyline then. Now the majority don't. And in the biggest market, the US, they say sky.....what???

Edited by fungoolie

Sorry to be seen to be pedantic but if you type in the phrase box "r35 skyline" you get about 12,000 images. So yes there are "many" images with "r35 skyline" in the title. If you type in 2009 GTR you get a million hits That means just 1% of images are incorrectly labelled "R35 skyline" out of all R35 GTR images available on the net...... So really in the marketing world that would be deemed a massive fail if you wanted everyone to call the new GTR an R35 skyline....

alot of the images that come up are also photoshops or gran turismo screen shots.

Cmon, enough random posting, I want to see MGS dyno graph.

A Mail Order tune from another continent, plus exhaust/cat upgrades on Australia 98 RON fuel are worthy of a dyno for the sheer sake of logic alone, unless you dont want to get it on boost. Its $100 well spent on peace of mind MGS :)

After all Porsche will be able to see the PCM has been flashed via a technique known as BDM, so in the case of a failure, you have no warranty, so check it out. Often canned tunes equate our fuel to Mid West 93 R+M/2 which is not really an equivalent :(

Edited by Martin Donnon

it does have a completely different prefix. it's a CBAR35 as opposed to BNR32 BCNR33 BNR34...

Sort of like how HCR32 and ECR33 aren't really Skylines? :)

Sort of like how HCR32 and ECR33 aren't really Skylines? :)

umm I was just responding the the assertion that the R35 GTR has the same prefix as the previous Skyline GTR models. fact is it doesn't. HCR32 and ECR33 are skylines because that's their name. They are called skylines. The R35 is not called a skyline. I wouldn't have thought it a difficult concept to grasp....

+1 million for having the best toys ever... and i think my garage is good... hahah got the crf250, the r32 skyline and the daily ute.

I need to finish my uni course so i can have this shit.

You should go on Australian Idol! haha

its not called a skyline simply because nissan purposely left it out to try and spice things up by trying to justify charging more than the other GTR models before it, think of it if it was called a skyline gtr it makes it sound alittle cheaper than the plain Nissan GTR, however they did leave the electric stove rear lights, the GTR name that is associated with the earlier skylines and its turbo'd small engine producing astronomical power, not to mention on the discovery channel documentory on the R35 gtr the boss of renalt/nissan says he wants to bring back the 2nd chapter of the Nissan Skyline GTR series after its break since the BCNR34 finished, and he also said " it has to have the iconic round tail lights like the old ones" refering to the previous models of skylines.....

Stageas are basically skyline wagons FYI, nearly all the same parts fit from engine, drive train, electricals, chassis with mino diffs

A Mail Order tune from another continent, plus exhaust/cat upgrades on Australia 98 RON fuel are worthy of a dyno for the sheer sake of logic alone, unless you dont want to get it on boost. Its $100 well spent on peace of mind MGS :P

After all Porsche will be able to see the PCM has been flashed via a technique known as BDM, so in the case of a failure, you have no warranty, so check it out. Often canned tunes equate our fuel to Mid West 93 R+M/2 which is not really an equivalent :down:

This is very true, that is why i didnt go with a mail order tune for my C63. From my understanding once the ecu is flashed, there is a counter on it, and it goes to 1, otherwise it is at 0. This is how Merc finds out about ecu flashes. Correct me if i am wrong though.

h.

umm I was just responding the the assertion that the R35 GTR has the same prefix as the previous Skyline GTR models. fact is it doesn't. HCR32 and ECR33 are skylines because that's their name. They are called skylines. The R35 is not called a skyline. I wouldn't have thought it a difficult concept to grasp....

Haha you seem to be the one having trouble grasping concepts. We're talking about whether it's a Skyline or not, not whether it's a GTR or not. R is common in the Skyline prefixes, and given the 35 follows on from 32, 33, 34....to 35...with an R before it...it's a friggen Skyline. Deal with it :P

A Mail Order tune from another continent, plus exhaust/cat upgrades on Australia 98 RON fuel are worthy of a dyno for the sheer sake of logic alone, unless you dont want to get it on boost. Its $100 well spent on peace of mind MGS :P

After all Porsche will be able to see the PCM has been flashed via a technique known as BDM, so in the case of a failure, you have no warranty, so check it out. Often canned tunes equate our fuel to Mid West 93 R+M/2 which is not really an equivalent :P

Thanks MD. Your post confirms my perception of you. :down:

Guys, this is my last post & viewing of this forum. I am sure I will come across some of you once I add a R35 to my garage. In the meantime I wish you great & safe motoring. Take Care, Mark

Thanks MD. Your post confirms my perception of you. :P

My post is based in 20 years EFI tuning experience and logic, no more.

The fact that the first overseas generic PCM flash you purchased would not even start the car and invoked serious error conditions is reason enough alone to spend $100 and check the calibration of the second attempt on the dyno. If you find that offensive then I indeed apololgise. As a rule we insist that our customers have any tuning file we remotely supply for a GTR checked on the dyno. Its all part of standard procedure and proper duty of care for a responsible modification plan.

Look forward to seeing your GTR on here :down:

Edited by Martin Donnon

its not called a skyline simply because nissan purposely left it out to try and spice things up by trying to justify charging more than the other GTR models before it, think of it if it was called a skyline gtr it makes it sound alittle cheaper than the plain Nissan GTR, however they did leave the electric stove rear lights, the GTR name that is associated with the earlier skylines and its turbo'd small engine producing astronomical power, not to mention on the discovery channel documentory on the R35 gtr the boss of renalt/nissan says he wants to bring back the 2nd chapter of the Nissan Skyline GTR series after its break since the BCNR34 finished, and he also said " it has to have the iconic round tail lights like the old ones" refering to the previous models of skylines.....

Stageas are basically skyline wagons FYI, nearly all the same parts fit from engine, drive train, electricals, chassis with mino diffs

I think you are being a bit cynical Kojotk, to be fair the R35 GT-R is so far removed from the current skyline/infiniti range that it well and truly deserves it's own model designation. Previous GT-R's WERE indeed Skylines and the GT-R was the top dog. ...and with all due respect to previous GT-R's, the R35 well and truly moves the game forward in terms of Stylng, fit, finish and interior presentation.

The GT-R name is iconic and I don't see anything wrong with Nissan taking this and taking it to a new level.

Pricing in Australia is a bit on the expensive side compared to overseas, but it's still a bargain and it's still a 911 Turbo competitor that's priced below a Cayman S. Supercar performance and engineering...for sports car money.....says it all really..

i think the pricing is right... r34 gtr's were $120000 when new, 12 years ago!... so for this to be a far better finish and much better out of the box and the current price of other things i think that the price is right.

sorry to hear that mark wont be posting anymore..

now mods... can we change to the name of this thread to NZM.031 vs every R35 owner :) haha.

Jack Sky... your garage is the ducks nuts in my book buddy.. 1 better then mine as ive sold my kx250... but only to get a cr250.... 2 stroke FTW!

whether its actually called a skyline is beside the point, its implied, nissan may not of called it a skyline.. but they have done a crap job in telling people that it is not a skyline, people will assume its a skyline because

a) its an r35

b) its a GTR

c) its got stove top tail lights

d) its incredibly fast.

its like the name godzilla... nissan never used it in their marketing campaign... motor magazine dubbed it that and its stuck all over the world... people know them as a godzilla skyline.

if someone came up to one of you r35 owners and said "whoa! is that an r35 skyline?" would you say "yes it is" or would you say "no sir, its not a skyline, its an R35 GTR"

Nissan didnt dub it a skyline because unlike previous GTRs it wasnt derived from the standard skyline platform.

Nothing shares the platform of the R35.

But I agree, its a skyline at heart really... they just didnt make the GTS-t version :)

+1 NZM

Also, Mark, if you are still viewing the forum...harden up a bit mate...for most part you've had positive response in this thread to your posts, particularly from the R35 owners. It's an internet forum...it's always going to be full of irrelevant shit and criticism that steers away from the original topic. I think the thread did pretty well to last this long given it started off as a tongue poke to R35 owners / a window into your toy garage.