SAU Community

My R33 Project.

Few new photos taken today. Lot of work to do to make it all blend perfectly. Then off for a respray. Thinking a much darker silver. Still trying to work out whether to modify the front fenders to square them off a bit, then really bulk up the rears. That was the plan but I think just by mocking it up as it is now. I quite like it.

The real goal of the fenders is to get rid of the 8.5 wide rims and put 9's on the front and 9.5 on the rear.

stripped02.jpg

stripped01.jpg

mockrear.jpg

mockfrntrt.jpg

mockfrntlft.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front fenders are now secured and driveable. The drivers side needs to be adjusted out a tad as it JUST comes into contact with the door (still opens all the way though). Passenger side was a treat. Very happy with the quality of parts (VIVA garage) as I expected a lot more modification to make them fit.

The rears are still just duct taped on. But I want to get the fronts perfect first as they can always be removed whereas the rears will be do or die. I can always drive around with wide fronts and narrow rears whilst I build up some courage and the money for a respray. (considering its 1 of 4 cars I have :wacko: , would someone just buy my Statesman already. lol :wave: )

Lol. My father just came over and saw it out in the driveway. Besides the usual lecture on wasting money, he asked. "What are you going to do with the door to fill in the gap between the fender and the door?"

The look of shock when I said that I want the gap as it helps show the extra width.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I have decided to go a bit more out there and modify the lot to make it my "Personal" bodykit. A couple of hours into the foam moulding process and this is where I am so far.

The photo from the front and rear views gives a fairly good idea of the width im after. Many many more hours of work left in just getting this side right before tryin to match the drivers side.

The goal is to be ready for the Nurmurkah show and shine at the end of November/start December. Although the biggest challenge will be finances for paint and new rims. Even though I will be trying to sell 2 and a half sets of rims and tyres to help fund it.

foamedfenders01.jpg

foamfront01.jpg

foamfrontrearview.jpg

foamfront45.jpg

Final progress shot after the first weekend of deciding to go all out with the bodywork.

Happy with progress so far. Still a few design questions to ask myself but they will figure themselves out as I go.

At least the basic shape is starting to show

Cheers. Luke

foamfront02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I now remember how much I hate sanding. New random orbital has been ordered and hopefully will show up mid next week to make life a bit easier. The shape of the front fenders is almost where I want it to be. Just need to even up both sides and smoothen it right out. Then it'll be time to start fibreglassing.

Decided to do a very quick and rough photoshop to show roughly where I'm headed.

Love to hear some feedback.

chop2.jpg

Both front fenders are pretty much down to the shape im after. Early morning tommorow to throw down a couple of layers of F/G

Then hopefully it will start actually looking like it will become something.

If this all goes haywire I can still put the standard pieces back on and pretend nothing ever happened. But I'd like to think that with

enough work I will be able to pull this off. My biggest concern is I want the whole lot to blend together and that it wont end up looking

completely out of shape and tacky. Its a fine line between tough wide and wierd wide.

p.s. I should look into a Hazchem sign in the shed. lol

readytoglass.jpg

Edited by l_uk3y

2.5 layers of Fibreglass mat layed down. I have to say of all the fibreglassing i've done in the past (only a few items) This felt like its gone down quite well. I think because this has a much flatter surface then all the parts ive tried in the past made it much easier.

Thats the passenger side done. The drivers side can be next weekend.

fgprog02.jpg

fgprog01.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After some careful consideration I have decided to strip the additional fibreglass work I was doing. Whilst the individual parts came out well in the end I wasn't convinced at the way they all went together. So a bit of reconstructive surgery and im back with the wider parts as they were at the start. lol. way to waste a bit of coin and lots of time. But hey. The final result is all that matters.

In the meantime I've started working on a brake upgrade whilst its all in pieces. DBA4000 rotors on the front, still playing around with Pad selection, as well as repainted the calipers. The car is going straight to the panel shop as soon as the brakes are done to get the rear end finished. Then it'll be time to start saving again in time for the paintjob. Getting very toey. Haven't started up the RB25 since February.

goldcal01.jpg

rotor01.jpg

rotor02.jpg

Hey mate, curious as to what shape you were after when doing the FGing. Certainly got me interested!

Would love to know how the 4000s go too, looking at doing my own upgrade on brakes too. Thinking of an Evo 9 brembo conversion but a lot of work.

What I was aiming for was for the arches to flare out at the top then be fairly square on the sides. I.e nearly equally wide top to bottom. Instead of getting to its widest point right at the arch then narrowing back out as it gets further down. But the look in my head didn't match the end result. The idea definately was working though.

Rear dbas are now ordered as well as a few fluids in prep for a service.