SAU Community

R33 Gtr Or A R34 Gtt?

Councillor

Yeh i would spend the extra $$$ and get it checked out by a mechanic that has experience with Skylines, just to make sure it is all good. My car had a whole bunch of problems when i bought it which could have been identified by a mechanic but i was too excited at the prospect of owning a Skyline

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all.

Whoa so many replies! I feel so included lol. Seems like everyone is leaning towards the GTR and I must admit I was leaning slightly towards it (who doesnt want a giant japanese lizard in the driveway?).

I earn a fair bit of dosh so i dont mind payin a bit of fuel moneys, and 90% of my to and from work driving is highway.

To the cuz who said get a TK edition.. What is a TK edition?

Yeah I was looking at that nice silver one on Carsales myself, might give the chap a call..

In regards to the asthetics? I think the GTR eats anyother skyline on the road, come to think of it, any other rice/caveman v8 on the road. So much presence to the machine.

Any tips for things to look for/check when I go look at a GTR?

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

Regards

Karl

Tommy kaira is a company in japan that do all the bodykits and engine upgrades on various models of cars ie subarus, nissan, toyota etc

Deffo differant and rare as well that skyline looks sweet and no doubt will have loads of goodies on it from tommy kaira like mine....

I'd have to say go the R34 GT-T for a daily.

It will be a little cheaper to run (insurance, petrol, parts) and it will be newer. Depending on how much driving you do I'd rather put a high amount of kms on a GT-T rather then a GT-R. In terms of my "daily" driving I sometimes have to park my car at a train station, I'd much rather leave my GT-T there then a GT-R, not to mention shopping centres and the like.

Of course the GT-R is able to produce more hp easier and is a better base to work off of performance wise, but you probably have to ask yourself what you want out of a daily driver.

My 2 cents.

Thats only if you bought a lemon. If so, the same applies to the GTT too.

Since my ownership, I have spend less than 1.5k on servicing. Thats including the 1k aircon fitting I've got.

Doesnt matter which one you end up getting, just make sure you're getting one thats of high quality.

im sorry but you have no idea what your talking about, it's nothing to do with buying a lemon... there are things that break in gtr's because they are performance cars that get driven hard

valve guides crack and drop into bores - engine rebuild

oil pumps fail and crack - engine rebuild

oil problems at high rpm cause spun bearings - engine rebuild

transfer cases die - box out job

clutches die after a few launches - box out job

front diffs sh1t themselves - motor out job

those are only a few of the many common problems that come with GTR's and not one of them would be picked up during a inspection to see if the car is a lemon

any RB26 around 100,000kms or over is a timebomb waiting to happen

Edited by Cerbera

all i have to say is i was in the exact same position few months back tossin up between r34 gtt and r33 gtr and i made the wise choice and took the gtr.

you'll buy a gtt and believe me you'll want more... just take your time and look around there are ALOT of lemons.

im gonna disagree TOTALLY with cerberra and excentrix...

i own a gtr with a 144kms on the clock. i am the second owner since NEW. i have all the documentation on the car... i happily drive it hard on the weekends and it loves it!!! the only thing i've had to do is regular 5000km servicing, and rocker cover gaskets...

i would also like to point out that my father bought a U13 brand new in 1996 and i bought it off him in 2007 with 160kms on the clock.. still going strong and never had to spend a cent.

moral of the story, if you buy any Nissan, that has been looked after correctly, serviced frequently and driven within its limits then its a safe bet.

yes there are many lemons out there... but dont discount a car with higher k's if its been treated well.

i put this question for you. would you rather buy a "50,000km" GTR or a genuine 150,000km gtr with books and a very well documented life or servicing??

i know what i would happily buy. there are more factors to GTR's and all cars that need considering before labelling an example ticking time bomb

my 2c

Yeah mate, i can agree with that. But you dont know how hard the cars have been thrashed back in japan, or here in Australia. It just might have 150,000kms but who knows how long it is until something in the oil pump f**ks up.