SAU Community

Life After A Gtr.....

Ten Four

Which to get...  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, dont want a foreverbreakingdown rotary, and S15's are hairdresser's cars.

Don't want taxi either.

At this stage, I'm honestly leaning towards the BMW...... Just so nice, extras and solid!

(Zed is sold pending finance to someone else :) but seller said he'd notify me if it fell through)

Edited by Ten Four

S15 = fairy car :)

Boxster = mean kitted, but I'd never buy cause theyr so slow....

Zeds, I've never personally driven one but heard they go pretty well....(Targa for summer? :))

No one likes the Alfa eh? Its really sexy... Link 0-100 in 6.5, tops out at about 250, pretty much identical to every other car on the list.

I thought E39's were circa 2003 and still fetching $20k+? Anyway parts will be expensive and it will like to drink!

300ZX's are cool, especially targa tops. HOWEVER! They are heavy (those electric seats weigh a tonne!) and the engine bay is horribly cramped.

300zx-engine1.jpg

Nn thanks!

Alfa's are made as well as a VN Commodore, and thats certainly not a good thing!

LS400's are pimp! Get a top of the line one and you will enjoy leather, sunroof, dual zone climate control, electric/reclinable rear seats. And as for the 1UZ-FE, it is bulletproof and sounds great with a bit of zaust work. Chuck on a few turbos and you'll be making a lazy 600hp all day long! Only problem is they are getting old (and alot of examples aren't great) and kms are generally high. In saying that parts are plentiful. As an ex-Lexus owner myself I say go the LS!

Cheers for input.

The BMW is a 97 model. Has MORE stuff than the LS400 (and thats a tough job to achieve lol). Its got service history and should use about 14l/100km around town (which won't happen as I do mostly distance driving). Dad used to have a E39 535i and that averaged 13L around town.

The zed I realise is a bitch to work on, but its got good history, timing belt done (110 kms, and looks it too). Can't be more heavy than the whale R33 GTR eh?

Point taken on Alfa though....

Yeah, we used to have a 112k km LS400, full service history since new - delivered by lexus of perth. Dad sold it for 7k a year ago. How much money wise is it to whack on twin turbos onto them....?

Still, I'm really leaning toward the BMW...

Edited by Ten Four

Lol how is a S15 a hairdressers car but a BMW is not? My mate had a 300ZX TT and it wasn't that quick... Plus they are a poor mans Ferrari in terms of looks. Alfa Romeos are just the most hideous cars i have ever seen, excluding maybe Chrystlers.

The LS is really the only cool car there, apart from the 300 but as i said they are nothing special.

mitsubishi gto twin turbo. I have both a gtr and gto and the gto is smooth, very quick (low 13 sec car dead stock), awesome fuel economy (better than 10l/100km), very modern interior, great for cruising as it has low rpm on the freeway at 100kmh (2000rpm exactly) , has the most torque out of any import engine available (including the the lexus and nissan v8s) and gets heaps of looks and no cop attention because it doesnt look like a hoons car.

Buy a decent condition one and it will be a great choice, i have a 1991 model and have had it for almost 3 years without any issues at all and done over 45000km in it.

Oh and they have awesome modification potential for very little dollars as the yanks love em :)

thats my 2c worth from owning one, the only thing lackin is the space to carry stuff, but i dont think a 300zx would be any different, and working on the motor isnt that fun but if you treat it well it shouldnt need to be played around with.

throw some wheels on and lower it and it will look mint

Edited by unique1

go soarer with 1JZ.

Others are either gonna cost a bomb in the long run or are gay.

GTO are throw away material when the box goes.

The box wont go they are running them in 8 and 9 sec cars over in the US, they are getrags, similiar to the supra 6 speeds and wayy stronger than any gtr 5 speed box that for sure. I think wayyy too people beleive the crap published in hpi etc and they dont have a clue. Its the transfer case on the early models which are known for going with big launches and higher power but you can buy a billet replacement case for under $1500au brand new and they are running 8s on them too :)

SO much bullshit info with very little actual experience on these cars im afraid. Its as bad as trying to convince the yanks the gtr is a great car also.

The motor is also stronger than a rb26 as well :) the yanks reckon 600awhp is the reliable limit of the stock internal bottom end if its in good health, dont think many 26s will go near that. Thats running 10s in a 1720kg car too, so no dodgy power figures.

Martin, you honestly cant compare a S15 and a lowered 540i with angel's and clear lights all round... Anyway, S15 turbo manual is still 18s upwards, pass. Wouldn't buy one for 10k.

IMGP6222.JPGS15.jpg

I reckon the Alfa looks awesome and go orite for the price, just fwd.

Karl, not a fan of silver.... Still, TT Man Targa leather? :)

Soarer would stick with V8 - heard too many problems with the TTs and I love the sound they make.

I met a guy with a stock, late model GTO. Told me it'd been nothing but problems, consistently visiting the workshop in the 3 years he owned it. Tbh, I'm not keen on the rear, looks like a Ford Probe. Find it very hard to believe you'd even get close to 10L/100km with a twin turbo manual, weighing 1700kg.

3079390_2_full.jpgMitsubishi_3000GT_up_close_rear-L.jpg

Edited by Ten Four

The box wont go they are running them in 8 and 9 sec cars over in the US, they are getrags, similiar to the supra 6 speeds and wayy stronger than any gtr 5 speed box that for sure. I think wayyy too people beleive the crap published in hpi etc and they dont have a clue. Its the transfer case on the early models which are known for going with big launches and higher power but you can buy a billet replacement case for under $1500au brand new and they are running 8s on them too :)

SO much bullshit info with very little actual experience on these cars im afraid. Its as bad as trying to convince the yanks the gtr is a great car also.

The motor is also stronger than a rb26 as well :) the yanks reckon 600awhp is the reliable limit of the stock internal bottom end if its in good health, dont think many 26s will go near that. Thats running 10s in a 1720kg car too, so no dodgy power figures.

Doin a lot of quoting of the yanks, which for me is reducing the credibility of your claims. I have heard nothing but bad things about GTO's, and all of it first hand. Female friend of mine bought one for her second car, gearbox went in the first 6 months and she wasn't even pushing it. Her next door neighbour (who happens to be my mechanic) bought it off her thinking he could fix it. He rebuilt the gearbox and got it going again, next thing the clutch blew. Fair enough, replaced and upgraded the clutch, all good. 2 months later one of the turbo's blew and sent bits into the engine. The car was stock as a rock too. Car is still sitting in my mechanics workshop but he said he has no plans of fixing it any time soon.

James i agree the 540i is a good looking car, i like BMW's, but at this age? They are such a retirement car lol. I just think they look way too 'old man'. Those photo's were hardly a fair comparison:

nw6.jpg

nw3.jpg

Get rid of the spoiler and those rims and that is a nice car.

I wasn't saying get an S15 though. I was just asking how you thought they were hairdresser cars and BMW's are not :dry:

Edited by Hanaldo

Doin a lot of quoting of the yanks, which for me is reducing the credibility of your claims. I have heard nothing but bad things about GTO's, and all of it first hand. Female friend of mine bought one for her second car, gearbox went in the first 6 months and she wasn't even pushing it. Her next door neighbour (who happens to be my mechanic) bought it off her thinking he could fix it. He rebuilt the gearbox and got it going again, next thing the clutch blew. Fair enough, replaced and upgraded the clutch, all good. 2 months later one of the turbo's blew and sent bits into the engine. The car was stock as a rock too. Car is still sitting in my mechanics workshop but he said he has no plans of fixing it any time soon.

James i agree the 540i is a good looking car, i like BMW's, but at this age? They are such a retirement car lol. I just think they look way too 'old man'. Those photo's were hardly a fair comparison:

nw6.jpg

nw3.jpg

Get rid of the spoiler and those rims and that is a nice car.

I wasn't saying get an S15 though. I was just asking how you thought they were hairdresser cars and BMW's are not :)

Nice! Now I'll take that over any BMW anyday except M3, M5 or the 6s. I actually like GT wings on sleek cars to be honest.

I'd actually agree with greg. Buy a 1jz soarer, those things are easy as hell to maintain and decent cruiser cars with some power to boot.

You could also get a celsior if you wanted to get a luxury cruiser.

my 2 c.

300zx i would consider getting if you spent 15k on one that has had lots of modification.