SAU Community

R31 - Resto!

Mr. Untouchable

This is my best mates 1987 R31 Ti skyline. Was purcahsed for 500 smackeroos from a lady that used it for most of its life as a shopping trolley. Since its the Ti model, its fully optioned, electric everything cruise control etc.

it was going to be a great daily.

I drove the car home and after some slighlty spirited driving it developed some nasty nasty engine noises. And oil preasure went west.

so a much fresher rb30 was sourced, a VL manual g/box was sourced, along with a manual r31 tailshaft and the rest of the gear to get it running.

whilst the motor was out we thought, hey may aswell paint the engine bay incase we wanna tidy it up someday. After we got it running we thought that we may aswell tidy it up straight away as it had a fair amount of body damage from 22 years of car parks etc.

well it slowly got outa hand, me being a panel beater and brody being a spray painter and both being pretty fussy.

in the end we removed the body moulds and shaved the boot lock and arial holes. the rear bar copped some plastic welding to remove unwanted 80"s moulds and join lines. to run the series 3 bar with series 1 lights and pintara grill we had to chop 18mm out of the sides of the front bar. Along with removing so more 80"s crap

all the door moulds have locating holes so all the holes along the doors and front guards and dog legs had to be shaved. This took months and slowly went from tidy up to all out panel & paint.

anyways heres a few pics

post-47373-1259538975_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539034_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539171_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539453_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539491_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539551_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539622_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539672_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539729_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539795_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539861_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539900_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539932_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259539982_thumb.jpg

post-47373-1259540006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

its not 100% complete it now has some bigger profile tires on it along with better wheel spacing. The windows are gonna cop some 25% tint.

its got brand spanking monroe shocks and king springs. fresh pads and the calipers are now red.

there has been a lot of discussion about engine mods. some of the ideas were set it up to factory VLT spec, another idea was 25 head and loom etc.

If I end up with the car, I will fit a aggressive NA cam, valve springs and machined rocker shaft supports, fit a hp4 chip or something and a decent fuel pump. maybe deck the head for added compression and fit the thinest head gasket I can get.

and a nitrous kit is all to easy to set up so that would be on the cards, nothing major just a wet kit set up with a 50 shot or something.

next project is going to be a 32 gtst, with either 25 or 26. widebody, sorta going for the batmobile look.

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

yeah well funny that, we actually have some series 3 lights but when fitting them, it just didn't really impress, and we wented to keep the whole thing a bit different, and as every man and his dog convert to series 3 front we didnt really want to do it.

as for mods, we have a spare rb30, so taking the head off that and getting the works done. 5 angle valve job, porting, new lifters, heavy duty valve springs, machined rocker shaft supports, new camshaft, decked slightly for added comp. thinking maybe MLS headgasket, new timing belt, waterpump.

stage 4 chip, walbro 255lp/h intank pump. I'm going to fab up a 3" stainless intake pipe. Also a CAI setup and set up a Nitrous kit at the same time.

hoping to have it done for powercruise.

I wouldn't bother with any of that engine stuff. You might make 10kw over the stock 85kw or so at the treads, wheee!

Same money, less effort get a VL turbo manifold, hi flow T03, set of VL turbo or RB20DET redtop injectors, cheap intercooler, 3" exhaust and darkhalf chipped ecu (see 31 forums), and you'll make 150+rwkw on sfa boost.

I suppose being NA and making 95rwkw is different though.

I wouldn't bother with any of that engine stuff. You might make 10kw over the stock 85kw or so at the treads, wheee!

Same money, less effort get a VL turbo manifold, hi flow T03, set of VL turbo or RB20DET redtop injectors, cheap intercooler, 3" exhaust and darkhalf chipped ecu (see 31 forums), and you'll make 150+rwkw on sfa boost.

I suppose being NA and making 95rwkw is different though.

yep thats the easiest option, best value for money, No doubt. 1, we want to stay different, plus the sound of a lumpy as hell NA 30' is kinda cool. 2, the head work is going to be bascially FREE, as we are repairing/painting some bits as a sway job for the labour on the head work. VLT bits will not be free, keep in mind the car is a total budget bus.

we are going to be able to do the engine work, Nitrous included for Less than the cost of VLT gear bolted on. Trying to keep it different, more so than chase the few extra KW's as we both agree the 150 odd the VLT kit will produce is still kids power anyways.

Yeah I have no doubts about the rb30e+t floody but I've already spent too much on this car lol it was supposed to be a runaround till the 32 but oh well we all know the story. The head work just seems to be the easier/cheaper option ATM with all the labour free and while not the bigger power gainer it should still be a bit of fun to drive and get a few looks.

Nice work on the ol-ye 31. My old (12 years ago) gts-x coupe was black over silver.

Black cars rule!

Put a bigger fuel pump in the tank and run a 100/150hp shot of gas.... just make shure you have a good exhaust and set of headers, otherwise the ehaust temps will get to high for sustained use.

I love gas!

Nice work on the ol-ye 31. My old (12 years ago) gts-x coupe was black over silver.

Black cars rule!

Put a bigger fuel pump in the tank and run a 100/150hp shot of gas.... just make shure you have a good exhaust and set of headers, otherwise the ehaust temps will get to high for sustained use.

I love gas!

Headers, Check, exhaust, check, fuel pump, going in very soon!

gas it will get!!

• 4 weeks later...

love it!, the front end with the back dated s2 headlights n black pinty grill are nice and unique.....make it look very piggy.

Edited by willL

Yeah was originally going with the whole series 3 front end but I think it looks better as is on this car anyway which reminds me I've got a set of series three headlights if anyone knows anyone who'd want them.........