SAU Community

R34 Xenon Wiring

aphid

Hey guys,

I purchised a set of r34 xenon headlights with the inbuilt ballasts a while ago. Unfortunantly they didn't come with any bulbs / high beam loom. I bought some D2R HID replacement bulbs off ebay which fit perfectly, however when I wire it up they don't seem to work.

The only connector left on the headlight is a 2wire plug that runs straight to the ballast, which I figure to be the positive and negative low voltage input side, but when I connect it up it does nothing. Reversing the polarity does nothing. The only other wire on the headlights is an earth connecting the braiding/metal around the high voltage side to the chassis!

Is there something I'm doing wrong or I've just bought a set of headlights that happened to have two dud ballasts?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

It's pretty much plug 'n' play the plug that went to the original headlights plugs into the low voltage side of the ballast, so instead of triggering the tungsten bulb it just supplys the ballast.

It was a quick swap when I last did one.

That was what I thought it should be but the plugs don't even match up... the only thing I can think of is that the polarity is reversed on the bulbs I bought, or the ballasts are dead :blink:

Do your headlights terminate into one 4 wire plug? The headlights (non xenon) I pulled out had only 1 plug, however the Xenon ones I bought came without any of the high beam assembly that holds the bulb in place and any wiring, the only plug on it is the 2wire plug that leads into the ballast.. Am I maybe missing a sub harness that plugs into the high beam assembly with a 2wire plug, plugs into the ballast with a 2wire plug and terminates into a 4 wire socket that plugs into the engine loom??

Thanks again

There is no high beam harness. factory HID's dont go any where near high beams. During compliance they normally just unplug the ballasts and remove them and splice into the pos and neg wires and run a short length of new wire to the H1 plug that we use here.to convert back you should just have to find where they tucked away the old plug (normally stuff it under the headlight) and plug it back into the ballast and plug the HID globes into there sockets and it should work.

Have you checked your actually getting power to the look your trying to use?

• 7 months later...

Hi there Aphid, the problem you were suffering is the exact matter that gives me a headache. I am doing R324 Conversion with Xenon headlights and wired the Ballast up with 2 wires from the vehicle and still doesn't work. Have you sorted out your problem yet?

Do your headlights terminate into one 4 wire plug? The headlights (non xenon) I pulled out had only 1 plug, however the Xenon ones I bought came without any of the high beam assembly that holds the bulb in place and any wiring, the only plug on it is the 2wire plug that leads into the ballast.. Am I maybe missing a sub harness that plugs into the high beam assembly with a 2wire plug, plugs into the ballast with a 2wire plug and terminates into a 4 wire socket that plugs into the engine loom??

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

I purchised a set of r34 xenon headlights with the inbuilt ballasts a while ago. Unfortunantly they didn't come with any bulbs / high beam loom. I bought some D2R HID replacement bulbs off ebay which fit perfectly, however when I wire it up they don't seem to work.

The only connector left on the headlight is a 2wire plug that runs straight to the ballast, which I figure to be the positive and negative low voltage input side, but when I connect it up it does nothing. Reversing the polarity does nothing. The only other wire on the headlights is an earth connecting the braiding/metal around the high voltage side to the chassis!

Is there something I'm doing wrong or I've just bought a set of headlights that happened to have two dud ballasts?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

how does D2R go with the headlight? Usually, D2R connecting with the ballasts should use D2 adapter. I am wondering how did you connect D2R with the ballasts?

post-76693-1283918368_thumb.jpg