SAU Community

Hi guys,

I would like some expert opinion, if possible, to my problem.

I'm designing a new off road racer, trophy truck, full spaceframe, independent front, 3 or 4 link rear axle, 20-26 inches of suspension travel, somewhere in the region of 2 - 2500kg all up weight.

I researched using a Skyline some 8 years ago back in the UK, but the rework on the gearbox for my design made it a non starter, now I'm out here, older and hopefully wiser and am investigating drivetrain options.

The norm is 355 chevy and a TH400 auto box, but I'm not for following the crowd....... like to push the envelope somewhat. Yeah its painful sometimes but success brings so much satisfaction.

I have been scouring this forum and many other websites, looking for answers, but having no experience in the nissan arena I thought it would be best to geti into the open and put my problem forward.

So if anyone has opinions, ideas, technical and any thoughts on the matter, i would be most appreciative.

I've attached a naked photo and a fully dressed photo so you have an idea of where I'm at.

I thank you in advance......

Nige

Yakboy

Rise to the Challenge !!

post-68917-1260171443_thumb.jpg

post-68917-1260171526_thumb.jpg

why are they so heavy?

Hi battery, the yanks build them like tanks because desert racing, baja mexico especially is the roughest terrain where the punishment on the frame and components is extreme. Their average size is some 2.2m wide, track width and 3m wheelbase, add on body work so that gives you an idea of their massiveness !!!!!

I'm not building mine to that extent because I have to go around trees and follow narrower tracks that our smaller buggies have to fit around. Mine at the moment is 2m by 3m on the outside,of the bodywork. I design for power/weight ratio and go as light as possible but not compromising on cage safety or strength where its needed.

I forgot to say on my first post that I'm restricted to 6L engine capacity, so something like a 2.8 turbo multiplied by 1.7 (turbo factor ) gives me a total capacity of 4.7L thereabouts...... but i'm looking for reliability, availability of spares, ease of maintenance and relatively cheap......

just looking for poeples ideas and opinions for a good strong engine/gearbox combo that might be able to handle what I do......

Loads of racers in the buggie classes run SR20's and they are virtually bullet proof........

Anything can be made to fit !!!!!

cheers

nige

just looking for poeples ideas and opinions for a good strong engine/gearbox combo that might be able to handle what I do......

Loads of racers in the buggie classes run SR20's and they are virtually bullet proof........

Anything can be made to fit !!!!!

cheers

nige

There are loads of boat and buggie motorsport vehicles utilising VH41/45 VK56 V8's. What sort of hp torque were you looking for? what sort of climate will you be racing in? If you plan running forced induction in hot climates have a good look at methanol.

Have a look at this for some ideas:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/323706

J.

Vh or vk45de ..destroked to 3.5 litres + twin turbo's = :rofl:

Lightweight torque monster & different to the chevy option...you could use an adapter plate to mate pretty much any gearbox that will handle the punishment.

What kind of budget are you working with ?