SAU Community

Engine + Gearbox Selection

Yakboy

Hi Guys,

just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for the information already given...... its amazing !!!

The second part of this is obviousely gearbox selection, I've often wondered why we had two feet, and have come to the conclusion its to race auto !!!!

I've seen some info about electronic controlled auto, is this for real? can you shift without taking your hands off the steering wheel?????

again, any advice info etc etc will be so appreciated.

best regards

nige

OK been mushing the gray matter up top and crunching some numbers around....... well SolidWorks has anyway.

I seem to arrive at a weight figure closer to 1800kg plus a bit more for safety, so my first estimates were a little off the mark.... oooooppppsssss !!!!!

A bit releived to say the least, but on the bright side the overall weight will be better to drive and handle, and also pwr/wgt ratio will be more acceptable....

thanks again for all your advice.....

nige :P

im with bubba, RB2634 with big huffer GT40 or HKS T51

get the head from here or other site, and see spoolimports.com or ripsracing.com both big RB30 ppl obviously stroked out to rips RB33 or spool for RB34

gearbox for an auto get a holden VL auto and pimp it out or as someone said an R34 box and pimp it out

Dan

Yeah and heaps of people can build the Jatco boxes nice and strong.

Yak, the auto's in R34's (and in my Stagea, except it's 4WD) are tiptronic and have buttons on the steering wheel to shift.

The ATESSA (4WD) setup from an R32 GTR runs no preload to the front diff (which is in the sump) so it is as simple as pulling a fuse or putting a switch in to turn it off. It is essentially RWD unless it senses wheelspin.. there are a LOT of sensors that would need transplanting though (speed sensors on each wheel, G sensors from in the cabin etc), for someone such as yourself it would be doable but by no means an easy feat.

Hell.. if it was me I'd be going with an RB26/30, GT35R turbo, series 2 Stag auto 4wd box with 32GTR ATESSA setup!

Hi,

I'm a skyline driver and love them heaps. But u can not deny the power, torque, reliability, displacement of the 2jz tt out of a Toyota supra/chaser/soarer/mark ii. They can produce 500hp with stock internals.

Anyhow, as I said I'm a skyline man. But u r after a race car engine and that is my opinion.

Some series' of racing did use the VHs and VKs, but most other series' used VGs and VQs.

Nismo VQ30DETT puts out the same power as the VR38DETT >_<

Remember guys he isnt moving 1400kg of street car, he said atleast 1800 and could be more...he needs torque.

VQ30DET produces as much power and more torque than an RB26DETT...so get a bigger VQ block, DE-K heads, twin turbo's and a Z32 style twin throttle body setup...that would eat ANY RB powered vehicle.

Otherwise, V8 FTW. Go for a VK since theyre lighter than the VHs.