SAU Community

Exhaust Smoking..

black smoke is usually the car running rich, so hardly think it's blocked injectors

i'm no mechanic, but i'd start with the basic ...MAF, Timing, CAS

also check the spark plugs to identify any problems in any cylinders. a misfire in 1 cyl in a v6 is hardly noticable

could be a very slight seepage of engine oil to one spark plug causing weak sparking or unburnt fuel

Thanks for the reply guys. The car is gone, traded it a few months back. I do miss having a Skyline, but certainly miss my old R33 much more than I miss the V35. The R33 was one sweet machine and I regret ever letting that one go.

BTW, there are 4 O2 sensor in our car. 2 before the cat, and 2 after. So which one did you change? Have you check your spark plugs? By looking at the plugs, you can tell what's happening to the combustion chamber. The tip should be clean with some grey deposit around the electrode. Search the web for other tell tail sign of problem in the chamber.

• 12 years later...

Hi All. Im new Here. Just looking and do some digging’s on forums and I found this topic. Just want to ask if this problem has been sorted out. It’s looks like it have the same problems like my Elgrand E51 VQ35DE
Anybody have sort this problem out ?My VQ35 has same problems. Black smoke, no check engine lights, running rich high fuel consumption,looks like less power and starts and runs ok.
Thanks for anybody who can help me out. 

12 hours ago, Greg82 said:

I found the same problems there is no answer

Of course there's no answer. How can there be an answer on the internet for the specific problem that your car has. Your car will have one of the problems you find on the 'net. It will then be up to you to work out which one it actually is.

16 hours ago, Greg82 said:

Yes I did and always wen I found the same problems there is no answer just guessing and like here was the car sold. 

As above the low hanging fruit would most likely be afm, then maybe o2 sensors, sometimes if they 02s are just starting to go it might feel like the lost power kicks back sometimes  when accelerating, is it high ks? Get any better or worse as it warms up? 

VQ35 Elgrands mow gas at the best of times, also prone to chain issues so if ks are getting up pay to check how far the tensioner is out will give an idea if stretch is a becoming problem, I didn't read the whole thread so may have missed something from previous comments