SAU Community

Hi all,

I got an R33 there seems to be an problem with an clutch, everytime when i engage the clutch an strange noise comes from the transmission area any idea what it can be ?

Thanks appreciate your help

Thrust bearing...replace it...

Disappears when you release the clutch pedal, yes?

Yes it only happens when you engage the clutch once you release it it is gone how much does the thrust bearings normally cost to replace ?

about 30-40 bucks delivered from justjap (forum trader) i got the same problem with mine, rang up a few mobile mechs and a few workshops and they wanted to charge me anywhere from 80-110 just for the bearing, then labour to swap it over

about 30-40 bucks delivered from justjap (forum trader) i got the same problem with mine, rang up a few mobile mechs and a few workshops and they wanted to charge me anywhere from 80-110 just for the bearing, then labour to swap it over

I'm having similar problem.. but i'm lil confused if it's same problem as mine, engaging the clutch meanning foot off the pedal right?

how much was it for the labour? is it something that whole transmission has to come off?

I'm having similar problem.. but i'm lil confused if it's same problem as mine, engaging the clutch meanning foot off the pedal right?

how much was it for the labour? is it something that whole transmission has to come off?

pedal pushed in - noise starts, pedal out - noise stops

$300 i got quoted ($900 from another mob who ummm and ahhh'd and basically werent too keen to do it) so pays to shop around)- yes the transmission has to come off to swap it over

Unfortunately what has happened is your throwout/thrust bearing has become worn, Although not recommended you can still drive the car as per normal without too much of a worry. It is usually best to save up and buy a whole clutch kit, which includes a new throwout bearing, and do the whole lot at once, as it is not feasable to pay $300-500 in labour to remove a gearbox to replace a $25 part. (and have your clutch start to wear 6months later..)

If you need a hand in anything else, shoot me an pm, I sell clutches for a living and happy to answer any questions you may have!

Goodluck! And welcome to the world of Skylines!

Yes it only happens when you engage the clutch once you release it it is gone how much does the thrust bearings normally cost to replace ?

Labour is the expensive part...about $250-300 to pull the gearbox out.

I'd only bother if it has been getting louder. i've had a similar noise since 30,xxxkm (when I bought the car), I now have 103,xxxkm on it and the noise isn't any louder.

Generally speaking the problem is fine until it starts making unbearable noises but beware that a worn thrust bearing can start scorching the input shaft sleeve which is not a desirable outcome!

Engaging the clutch usually means pushing the pedal in. If you have noise when you take your foot off the pedal it is most likely a gearbox bearing issue.

:thumbsup: Same situation --in reverse , mine makes a noise when not engaged--R34GTT.

Gearbox bearings :D

:D Same situation --in reverse , mine makes a noise when not engaged--R34GTT.

Gearbox bearings :D

:) Nah, thrust bearing according to a couple of workshops I've dropped in to, pull not push clutch or is it push not pull ? whatever, it's the opposite off the earlier models.

Engaging the clutch usually means pushing the pedal in.

I completely disagree. I would say the opposite - when a clutch is engaged then it is squeezed against the flywheel. whatever fancy footwork you are doing is irrelevant, as you get electronically actuated clutches as well eg A/C compressor. A/C compressor clutch engaged = A/C running. disengaged = freewheeling.

Like the others have said unless it really is loud and getting worse then wait until you do a full clutch change I bought my car and it had the noise and 50000 kms on still hasnt got worse so ill be changing it soon with the clutch

I posted the same question a month or so ago. Same answer, but for some weird reason the sound has pretty much stopped. Only happens 1 out of 100 drives and only usually if the car is cold. When i posted originally it was doing it all the time, every drive. So i have no clue how i fixed it.

:cool: Nah, thrust bearing according to a couple of workshops I've dropped in to, pull not push clutch or is it push not pull ? whatever, it's the opposite off the earlier models.

If you are taking your foot off your clutch pedal and then it starts to make the noise...it's most likely going to be a gearbox bearing issue. Thrust bearing is only actively spinning when you push the clutch pedal with your foot.

I completely disagree. I would say the opposite - when a clutch is engaged then it is squeezed against the flywheel. whatever fancy footwork you are doing is irrelevant, as you get electronically actuated clutches as well eg A/C compressor. A/C compressor clutch engaged = A/C running. disengaged = freewheeling.

Given that the gearbox clutch is a mechanism for disconnecting two moving parts from one another, it is quite fair to say that a clutch is engaged when you push the pedal with your foot because it refers to operation of the component and change from its static position. It is also correct to say that you are engaging the clutch on the A/C compressor when it connects the two moving parts because it serves the opposite purpose to the gearbox clutch, being that the static position is two moving parts disconnected.

Better use of the term would be "engaging/disengaging the drivetrain" using the clutch.

If you are taking your foot off your clutch pedal and then it starts to make the noise...it's most likely going to be a gearbox bearing issue. Thrust bearing is only actively spinning when you push the clutch pedal with your foot.

The amount of pressure required to stop it making this noise would not alter any gearbox bearing noise as it's not sufficient to engage the clutch only the thrust bearing , these cars ar notorious for this nuisancesome rattle , I have even come across advertising blurb from one clutch manufacturer promoting a clutch which has been specificly engineered to address this problem (at quite a cost from memory) I have also come across this before, lastly in a WRX I had which has the same type pull clutch setup and it was the thrust bearing.

Having said all that I have always changed the clutch totaly in cars I have had previously which did this so maybe I've been missunderstanding and the noise has been emanating from the clutch asembly, in any event it's never been a gearbox bearing issue, for me at least.

:cool:

If you're just talking about the rollover sound that is common to our Skylines, particularly with aftermarket clutches, then it's nothing to worry about. This one also isn't a particularly loud noise, just a nuisance as you say :cool:

Are you certain you have a pull type clutch? I thought all bar were push bar some of the earlier GTR boxes.