SAU Community

Rb25det Stock Turbo Capability?

bdorland

Ive got an R33 with the stock turbo on the RB25DET

Now ive heard different stories so it seems the amount of boost the stock turbo is debatable.

I recently installed an R34 SMIC on my car and was wondering what PSI i could comfortably run the stock turbo at? Without risk of damaging it or any other parts.

Im wanting to crank it up to at least 10 PSI, but 11 or 12 would be better, is this possible? Has anyone else done this and what was the result? And how good is the stock turbo?

i have the r33 series 2 turbo on my r32 gtst and i run 15psi high boost and it hasnt faulted me but low boost is set to 10psi what usually gets drivin round on but i think with the African American engine u should stay 12 max!

holy shit i just said the african american engine hahahahahahaha trippin... was ment to say witth the bigger engine should stay 12 psi max

^^ lol WTF haha

Anyway I rann 14psi on mine.....and it eventually snapped the shaft so i would be keeping it at around 12psi too, it starts to make more het than power after then anyway as it is well and truly starting to run out of puff

I run 12 PSI on stock ECU & catback with no issues so far (6 months), 150rwkw on a mainline dyno.

But anything above stock be prepared you are taking a risk, stock 33 turbos can be picked up sub $400 if you do pop one though.

^^ it won't be optimal, you'll hit R&R at some point (car will shit itself because it thinks something's wrong when you wind up the boost).. definitely get an ECU of some sort to overcome this

I'm on a budget but have similar setup

running 10psi with no dramas on r33 with catback and r34 smic

next step is dump, fuel pump and safcii

12psi should be fine as long as your not doing circuit work,

eg constantly on boost. Occasional blat like on public roads

won't get ur egt's that high

interested in results rb25 owners have from vg30 steel

wheel turbos. Seem to go cheap and bit tougher

Sorry, i didn't mention, i have fully replaced the exhaust system, including the dump pipe. Had it custom made 3inches all the way back.

Im running it at 10 PSI and it seems to be working fine, but with this set up you guys reckon dont push it past 12? until i get an aftermarket ECU?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Thanks to @V35_Paul there is an oem stereo available on gumtree, but the fascia is slightly different. It has a flip up screen as opposed to my pop up screen. Am I able to disconnect the radio/cd player from the fascia to use it on mine?    
    • Had to google what a quart is lol.. so rough as guts a litre. That's a bit excessive, also what oil weight are you running? The whole steam cleaning idea isn't too far fetched either. Maybe as you suggested, turn off the WMI (assuming your Kebabtech pulls timing, boost, etc.) and run it for a bit and see if there are any noticeable changes in spark plug colouring.
    • Pretty simple question. I was about to put the transmission back in and thought I pretty much had it lined up when I noticed it seems like the pressure plate isn't flat. I was pretty careful when undoing the bolts both during initial disassembly for cleaning and when torquing them up for installation so this is pretty discouraging. I'm not sure if I accidentally bumped the pressure plate with the input shaft and bent it somehow or if it just showed up this way. Is it possible that there's just something obvious I'm not doing correctly? I'm pretty sure I was extremely careful to make sure the friction discs were seated correctly in the hub, everything lined up, flywheel torqued according to sequence, the little springs all sitting correctly in their seats, etc.  What's the play here? Do I jump straight to a new pressure plate?
    • OK. I can see that being the case. But if you live in the land of "only switching between 4.08, 4.11, 4.36" like most Skyliners, then you never encounter it. Now I perhaps understand why the crownwheel is thicker on some of the smaller numerical ratio diffs. The two stubs being the same (unequal) lengths and just swapped side to side between the different cases is a new one to me. I'm hating Nissan R200s more than ever now.
    • Reason I say this is I have seen broken ones, in drift, drag and even behind a stock Z. I do appreciate most of the time its the synchro's that go.   Trouble with quoting HP is it doesn't really say how strong the box is.  I've not seen many CD00X box's make it past a mid 9(150mph) I have seen about a stock R33 RB25 box's run a 9 too, they all go boom at some point though.   Another clue is they make gearsets for CD00X box's too, wouldn't be a market if they didn't break or have a limit people are going past.   I totally agree it is a strong box, just have to weigh up the true total cost of the conversion vs rebuilding with a good gearset.