SAU Community

Standard Catalytic Converter

Aruna

Hi Guys,

I need some help please; I have a '96 R33 GTST. I was stopped by the cops and they checked the vehicle inside out to find some defect. But since I have everything stock, they could not find anything. They have then reported to the EPA that the vehicle is too noisy. I got a letter from EPA to get the car checked for noise level. When they checked it, the noise level was within spec, but they failed it saying it has a non standard Cat converter. I then took it to an exhaust place and they replaced the cat converter with a Magnaflow 91006 and said that it should be fine for the test. I paid $ 350.00 for this. When I took the car back for testing they said it's still not the standard cat converter and I need to do an emissions test at RTA. I did this test but the NOX value is slightly higher than what they want. I have two options now, Get a standard cat converter fitted (I don't know where to get one). Get the car tuned to pass the emissions test, this is going to cost me $1000.00. Would appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Thanks

It'll help if you tell us where you are, so that more guys might sell or loan you one in your locality.

Checked 'F/S' thread?

Put yourself in the 'Wanted To Buy' thread?

Welcome to SAU too!

Will that fit the R33?

should unless u got a 2.5" or sumtin lol... im not sure if u can bolt it straight onto the 33 pipes either... so i guess u may have 2 cut n weld or bolt the cat onto the stock pipes

Aren't catalytic converters a consumable item, ie they wear out? If you find a 15 year old cat will it give the right value to pass emissions?

I'd do some research before buying someone's dodgy cat :)

Aren't catalytic converters a consumable item, ie they wear out? If you find a 15 year old cat will it give the right value to pass emissions?

I'd do some research before buying someone's dodgy cat :)

+1, I would use your new cat and get a tune, Unigroup Engineering comes to mind, just tell them it needs to pass emissions.

ive got a spare standard cat in my garage, as long as your exhaust is a direct swap jobbie it will bolt straight on. im in bankstown. pm me if you're interested.

Sorry mate, I cannot PM yet as my post count is less than 10. My mobile No is 0414933343 please txt me yr details and I will buy it off you.

Thanks

yay another hills R33.

Use the new cat and get the car tuned, i'd be surprised if any r33 gtst's would pass an emissions test stock standard without a tune anyway.

And thats crap about not having the standard cat, Cas is right, they are a consumable and you will never find a brand new Nissan replacement for an r33 (unless s15 silvias are the same?) EPA are idiots.

Good luck

i had a look at the cat he had in there just then, it was a magnaflow one that looked exactly same as the standard r33 one except it had a better looking (and better flowing i'd imagine) core.

either way, the standard cat i put in there should get him out of trouble.

i had a look at the cat he had in there just then, it was a magnaflow one that looked exactly same as the standard r33 one except it had a better looking (and better flowing i'd imagine) core.

either way, the standard cat i put in there should get him out of trouble.

Ur a good guy.

Polizia/EPA R gettin picky - too picky

Ur a good guy.

Polizia/EPA R gettin picky - too picky

Hi Guys,

Getting picky? They are idiots! I got the standard cat from Security installed. The guy in Granville who does the EPA check, rejected it again (cost me $60.00 each time). I asked him what he wants, and he goes I need the original cat from Nissan not anything else. I told him Nissan Australia has no stock of R33 Cats, he says it's not his problem; I need to find an original cat or pass the emissions test. I called around a few places that do compliance and found a place in homebush that has got an original cat. Will get that fitted and see what he says (another sixty bucks for him). I have to get it passed by the 24th. If I drive the car without passing after that, the fine is $11000.00. There is no R33 in NSW with the original Cat, because they have to change it for compliance. Warning guys don’t get caught with a Smokey or noisy car, or the idiots are going to get you.

^

Sounds to me he's just being an ass & wants to force you to pay the $1k for the "magic" tune.

When my mum went to NSW due to work, she brought her old POS 1/2 dead VN commodore with her & that thing passed the pits on 1st go & it had a non-function CAT.

Sorry to hear about this. :cheers: