SAU Community

Assistance With Series 2 R33.

KaiShin

Hey Everyone,

Ive been building my rb25det r33 series 2 over the last 12 months or so.

I have it to the stage where it is ready to be registered etc. And have had it running.

However, it looks like it is in safe mode and very possibly the AFM is not working.

Has anyone got any sure fire ways of testing the AFM to see if it is in fact broken or do I need to find someone with a working AFM and hook it up to test it out?

I have checked ohms across all three points on the AFM and none of them read '0' so I am assuming that somewhere inside it is failing at resisting :banana:.

Some info. The 02 sensor is a brand new bosch replacement. So this should be working 100% (unless my wiring fails, which Id like to think I wired it correctly). The AFM seems to be the culprit.

Any thoughts from anyone? Or anyone living near Petrie north Brisbane with a spare series 2 AFM we could throw on it to test.

Cheers,

Trent

Woohoo, not far to go now mate :P

Does it sound like it's rev limiting at 2.5-3k, or will it just not rev past there? Have you checked for intake leaks? You mention rewiring, did you have to rewire the AFM as well (or did you use a Ford O2 sensor and have to modify the wiring for that)? Are you sure the wiring is correct, the plug is OK, and the wiring hasn't pulled out of the plug slightly?

If you are able to get hold of someone who has Consult and a diags cable they'll be able to tell you what the sensors (including the AFM) are reading. I don't know enough about electronics to tell you what resistance the different terminals should be (though I'd think if they're all infinity you'll have a problem :) ) but 'normal' output voltages are between 0V (no airflow) to 5V (max airflow, ~220rwkw), so at idle I'd imagine it'd be reading around 0.2 - 0.3V?? You should be able to check that with the multimeter too if you suspect the AFM.

I live on the northside too and have an S2 R33, I'm happy to pop around with the car or even just the AFM, but I often work pretty long hours so getting to you might be an issue. If you don't have any luck getting it sorted and can't get someone nearby, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Mate,

Ive got a consult cable and software on the way as we speak to check it out.

The 02 sensor is a brand newey. 3 wire type. Wiring for it was 2 white wires and a coloured wire. All the info around said that the two white wires were just the negatives and could be hooked up to either of the negative loom wires etc. So, fairly straight forward (will see once the consult is here LOL)

The AFM plug was removed from the loom when I got it. So I had to wire a plug into it. Have got wiring diagrams etc. On paper its right. Just dont think the AFM is up to scratch.. once again. consult will tell.

Il wait out till it arrives and check it out. As i wouldnt want to damage your AFM just for trying its sake.

Will let you know. Thanks for the offer.

Cheers

hmm sounds like the problem im having again

and by cutting out do you mean stuttering and struggling to go but soon as you put you foot down and get above the rev range it is fine

if so i had the same prob and its starting to come back

for me it was the o2 sensor got a new one and didn't have an issue for 8 months

Hey,

Mine is a little different. It bounces off of 2500-3000 like a ceiling. The ECU is in Safe mode. And the car runs no different with the AFM connected or unplugged.

Hint Hint lol.

Wont know if the O2 sensor is an issue as well until I fix the AFM issue. as the AFM is clearly not functioning.

Cheers