SAU Community

2010 F1 Season

Roy

As much as I want Alonso to win it, you haven't taken into account the fact that if it's Vettel leading Webber in the final race, and Alonso is in 3rd, that Vettel will surely move over for Webber (given that he cannot win the title even with a win with Alonso in P3), which will give Webber 10 points over Alonso, winning the WDC by 2.

The only way Alonso is winning the WDC is if he can split the RBR's, beat them both, or they make a mistake/DNF and finish down the order or out of the points completely.

Are you kidding? Vettel and Webber are mortal enemies and Redbull are backing Vettel all the way. Tin foil hatters could say that Webber was given "engine heat" messages in Brazil so that he couldn't push Vettel.

Alonso's form is such that, barring unreliability, he will probably be 3rd again in Abu Dhabi. But with Webber almost destined for 2nd, Alonso really only needs 4th. So Alonso can pretty much coast and save his engine once he has the position he needs. And as we have seen, the Ferrari high mileage engine has done Brazil without a problem, matching the Redbulls in pace.

Even if Vettel were magnanimous enough to want to hand Webber a victory, it would be very risky especially if Alonso was close, and we've already seen Ferrari get a slap on the wrist for team orders, another obvious breach of the rules could get Vettel and/or Webber disqualified. Now, given all those risks, if you were Vettel leading the race, would you really contemplate handing the win to Webber?

No, Alonso has done what he needed to do in Brazil. The onus is now on Webber to WIN and without Vettel crashing out and allowing Alonso to become 2nd. Whereas Alonso just needs to relax and can get as low as 4th if Webber is 2nd or lower. And let's put it this way, if Alonso can cause a crash of all 3 of them, as long as Hamilton doesn't win the race, Alonso will be WDC.

I'm not a particular fan of Webber, but I dislike Alonso more so I'm rooting for Webber. However, I'm afraid Webber tossed the championship away in Korea by scoring no points there. I think he will probably retire next year with all the team politics, so he'll have missed his chance to be a WDC.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must say, I think we all witnessed a very special moment from this season with the Incredible Hulk's pole... I would've bet my house on Rubens out qualifying the mini-kraut. But hey, strange things happen in this wonderful sport, and what a way to throw the championship contest in the air?? Koob, Rubens, all in the mix.. Btw I think Baron Von Doorcloser is finding his feet finally, anyone take notice of how quick he was in marginal conditions on the inters? Good to see him a few position ahead of Rosberg (for his sake, cause I'm a Nico fan too). In all fairness to Nicros, I think he got baulked, but its been a promising last few showings by MSC, lets hope he can bag some points..

I think Gonzo was lucky to get P5, but I get the feeling tonight's race is not going to be at all usual, BRING IT! Just hope the chin can get a solid podium if not a win..

Btw, my cousin's mate put $15 on a Williams pole, the cnut would be laughing right now....

I agree on the Button thing, he's looking more and more ordinary with every race, here was me thinking in the middle of the season he was right in the mix, I really can't believe how much, and how quickly, he has fallen away. He just doesn't seem at one with the car, and if I was him I'd be a little concerned. Not a good look for Jenson.

Button drops his chin the minute it doesn't go to plan, take a look at some of the Honda years for evidence, also he can't fight fire with fire so when it gets a little bit hard for him he struggles like the 2nd half of the brawn year showed.

Hamilton is better with formula 1 in its current guise the way the regulations effect the design of the cars and the tyre technology mask some of the issues with his over agressive driving style, his main problem however is that he thinks he is ayrton senna, when he isn't even the quickest driver in the current field and it really shows when he comes unstuck.

They couldn't get him to spell it out, but Vettel pretty much confirmed in the post-race press conference that if the RBR 1-2 scenario with Alonso 3rd develops, he will move over for Webber. Sure, Vettel and Webber are the strongest of rivals, but Vettel has said he's a team player and would prefer to see an RBR driver win it than a Fez driver.

P.s. did anyone see Webber straight after he got out of the car this morning? Vettel came over to say congrats and give Webber the handshake, and Webber basically got out of the car backwards to have his back to Vettel and leave him hanging for a couple of seconds.

Ice cold :blink:

Edited by Leif

damn it, this race kills me every year. 3am is just unreasonable

At least the car that deserved the title got exactly that. So well done RBR on building such a well thought out and innovative weekend warrior.

But it has to be said, the drivers have not used it to its potential so i wont be particularly sad to see either of them lose out in Abu dhabi. They've wasted so many easy chances to have this wrapped up races ago, that even as a univested spectator, im still pretty dissappointed.

Anyway, one race to go and two of the guys are running on some pretty second hand engines. Potential for some tears in two weeks

The overheating engine is the set up for team orders next week.

:D

Won't it be funny if a leading Vettel had "engine troubles" 50m from the finish line until just after Webber passes him... :P

I really can't see Vettel giving up a win to help Webber. But if he does, I wonder how many Vettel slaggers will change their tune about him...

Not to mention Webber himself...

Edited by acediac

They couldn't get him to spell it out, but Vettel pretty much confirmed in the post-race press conference that if the RBR 1-2 scenario with Alonso 3rd develops, he will move over for Webber. Sure, Vettel and Webber are the strongest of rivals, but Vettel has said he's a team player and would prefer to see an RBR driver win it than a Fez driver.

That's what I was referring to. In that situation, where Vettel won't win the title, and Webber can if his team mate gives him the win, I can't see Vettel staying in front. As much as the team backs him, if Alonso running in 3rd in the closing stages of the race, Vettel cannot win and would be robbing RBR of a second championship if he went on to win. I can't see it happening if the above scenario plays out.

Potential for some tears in two weeks

1 week :P

It annoys me how RBR would risk the driver's championship by letting vettel take valuable points off webber, although we all can see vettel is mostly quicker, the fact is, webber is in a better position, they are certainly leaving it to the last minute. Its times like these when Ferrari team orders are called for :P

Vettel will have his time in the sun, he needs to move over for mark this weekend :D

Shit, he'd blame the fact that he got jam and not honey on his morning toast if he could get away with it

The points may not indicate it, but hammo has really out-raced and especially out-qualified button this year. 2011 better be a serious step up for this guy

I will certainly change my tune on vettel if he moves over to let webs take a win and a WDC. that's a big call to make and if he's a big enough man to do that for the team then maybe I've got him all wrong. let's see what happens. hopefully he wont have to and webber will just win it on merit. he has won the odd GP you know...

If alonso wins, he can never take full credit after massa helped him.

very true. unless RBR make vettel do the same for webber, at least then they'll be even. those 7 points are proving crucial. right not webs would be just 1 point behind instead of 8. big difference.

I will certainly change my tune on vettel if he moves over to let webs take a win and a WDC. that's a big call to make and if he's a big enough man to do that for the team then maybe I've got him all wrong. let's see what happens. hopefully he wont have to and webber will just win it on merit. he has won the odd GP you know...

Couldn't agree more Big Marn.......