SAU Community

2010 F1 Season

Roy

and the other side of that coin for RBR is... if their engine hadn't let go on Vettel, the points situation would have been:

Vettel 231

Alonso 224

Webber 220

Hamilton 210

they may feel they owe him something for letting him down with that engine failure.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Webber has had 3 brain farts this year. Australia, Valencia and Korea. Korea is borderline understandable given the conditions... Think Alonso in a Mclaren in Japan, this year in a Ferrari at Spa... Hamo in the dry at Monza last year....but that is no excuse for him throwing it away. The flip side he has diven very well to win 4 races. He has put the thing on the front row something like 13 times this year....he has been on the podium 9 times...and only had two non points finishes....but you are only as good as your last race.

Vettel, over the year has shown he has not been as consitant. But they are veyr close, more then any other leading team. Vettel and Webber have the pace to 1-2 the remaining GPs. If Webber is P4 or something at Brazil then let Vettel go for it. If they lock out the front row and are racing in whatever order....they woudl be stupid to not give Mark a pit strategy to get him in front. I suspect that will what happen. But Vettel wont be slowed down. Webbas has to put the thing on the front row or ahead of Vettel...Vettel cant help Webber beat Alonso.

So, on another note. How important are the 7 points Alonso got in Germany now? I was surprised at the time that points werent taken for the weekend, both WDC and WCC. I didnt think it would matter over the course of the season as Ferrari seemed no.3 but they have rallied and now on equal footing with RBR.

So if we are going to do hypotehicals. if Vettel had not taken out Mark and in turn losing him 13 points in the sphincter of the universe, and Alonos was P2 in Germany whereby loosing 7 points....well.....its all for shit anyway....reality is Mark has some work to do and if he gets the job done it will be a well deserved WDC.

And something i posted elsewhere regarding Bergers remarks...To accuse any driver of intentionally putting their car sideways in the middle of a track in front of on coming cars at speed in wet conditions meaning they wont have slowed down combined with will have been slower then usual to pick them up due to spray etc.....is RETARDED!!!! Come on!!!

There is more to life then a car race and I am sure no driver wants a nosecone into the side of their head after a car launches over the top of their sidepod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zanardi lost his legs in an Idycar, a F3 driver was killed last year by a wayward tyre ditto Massa and the swaybar.... the young guy at Brands Hatch earlier this year....there is no way a person would knowingly write off his championship with injury, a lifetime of blended foods, straws and wheelchairs or death!!!! LOL you get the drift of what i am trying to say? :P

Edited by Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GJJIFpuTCA

I thought that maybe, in that split second, he was trying to keep the momentum up to help get his car facing the right way again, but with his suspension broken I guess he wouldn't be going far anyway even if he hadn't collided with Rosberg.

So, on another note. How important are the 7 points Alonso got in Germany now?

That crossed my mind too. I guess Ferrari have been doing this so long that there's good (self-serving) reason behind many of their 'strategies'...

nvm because Matt posted a video reply

does pose the question why his foot wasn't hard on the brake?

was he hoping to roll out of the way before the next cars arrived? Berger's theory seems a bit unlikely

I doubt any of you one eyed Webber fans would ever admit it, but he certainly doesn't try to stop the car or even roll it along the wall. He turns the wheel and steers it across the track to the other side...

You could say it all happened to quick and he didn't have time to re-act, but you'd be kidding yourself when we're talking about F1 drivers who have the sense to take their hands off the wheel when going head first into a wall at 200+km/h...

Add in the fact that his 2 main title hopes were following him on track, and it's not looking too good for Mark...

I doubt any of you one eyed Webber fans would ever admit it, but he certainly doesn't try to stop the car or even roll it along the wall. He turns the wheel and steers it across the track to the other side...

I dont mean to be a 'one eyed Webber fan' but if you look closely he actually takes his hands off the wheel and the impact with the wall with the front LHS turns the wheel, he then rolls across the track. So he didnt steer that way intentionally. Not sure why he didn't brake though, I agree he probably should have. But maybe he pulled his feet away at the time of impact as well and by the time he put them back he was already back across the track so had to ride it out? Not sure on what drivers do with their feet in crashes normally?

Look at the vid, he removed hands from the wheel so as not to hurt fingers/wrist etc on impact....a very common thing for drivers to do. Look at the front left suspension arm after impact, its snapped and the toe is completely different to the front right....with the impact twisting the wheels to the angle they were on. And if you are going to whack the nose on a wall, you tuck your feet in and away from the pedals. Otherwise you can injure your feet/ankles on the pedals, suspension arms can puncture the cockpit and injure legs.

So go ahead and call me one eyed, but if you dont see how the car speared back accross the circuit then I dont think you appreciate or understand the sport you are watching...most of the times in accidents like this its the friction of what tyres are left on the car scrub off speed on dry surfaces/tracks and the fact that corners are ripped off the cars arent rolling.

Joe Saward ....

The suggestion made by Gerhard Berger that Mark Webber was trying to take out one of his World Championship rivals as his crashed Red Bull bounced off the wall in the wet in Korea is, frankly, a ridiculous claim and does not warrant any serious reporting.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/...e-down-gerhard/

Edited by Roy

mmm, a veteran F1 driver or a journo... who would have more idea about what's going on inside a driver's head??? And Joe doesn't offer up any rationale as to why he feels Berger's comments are so ridiculous, just slags him off... Berger's rationale is at least plausible.

As I watched it, I've got to say I thought it was strange that he wasn't on the brakes after the impact with the wall. It was the second thing I said after it happened...

I think it was obvious he was going to slap into the wall sideways, and would have been from the driver's seat. No need to worry about getting his feet off the pedals. Is there any room to bring your legs back away from the pedals in an F1 car even if you wanted to???

If suspension arms pierce the cockpit, moving your feet a few inches ain't going to help you any. Low speed crashes like that with glancing blows along a wall are never going to wreak that sort of carnage anyway.

Marks's descriptions of the crash as "nothing too heavy" and "slow motion" don't make it sound like he was terribly perturbed about it at the time. His hands went straight back onto the wheel afterwards, holding it with full lock on... the wheel is obviously upside down, and drivers can see there front tyres - he knew where they were pointing, and where he was going to end up...

Most of the time in accidents like this, the driver stays on the brakes.

I don't get why people are even entertainng Berger's theory.

Stop trying to analyse every minute detail.

Plain and simple, Webber hit the wall, and had all 4 tyres still attached to the car, at a time when he is going for a WDC.

Someone please logically explain to me why he wouldn't try and keep driving or at least get it back to the pits to give himself a shot?

Berger is farken clown in this case who just hasn't had his name in the press for a week!

I don't get why people are even entertainng Berger's theory.

Stop trying to analyse every minute detail.

Plain and simple, Webber hit the wall, and had all 4 tyres still attached to the car, at a time when he is going for a WDC.

Someone please logically explain to me why he wouldn't try and keep driving or at least get it back to the pits to give himself a shot?

logically? when was the last time you saw a formula cars keep racing after slapping sideways into a wall from the other side of the track? he knew his day was over before the impact.

And logically, if he did want to keep racing it would be best to pull it up before you hit anything else and stay out of the way of the other cars. So his hands go straight back to the wheel and hold it on full lock to go back across the track. He made no effort to straighten the wheel to keep out of the way...

Its not the point though what happens usually or what happened last time an F1 car had a similar hit.

Fact is, he had all 4 wheels attached to the car, until the thing is dead and burried and not moving, why would you not try and get back into it?

We see drivers try and do a whole lap with a wheel missing and say, wow now that guy doesn't quit, what a champ, yet Webs gives the wall a love tap, and we expect him to give it up and move on to 2011?

I say good on the guy. Yes he farked it by putting himself in that position in the first place, but the fact that he tried to get back into it shows just what it means to him.

To suggest he took out another car on purpose hoping it was Homo or Alonso is ridiculous and nothing less. In a split second he's watching his season slip away and at the same time analysing who's around him to back the car onto the track in a position to take out other drivers which would give him a strategic advantage? Yeah.