SAU Community

Rear Mount / Mid Mount Turbo

jordan101

Off topic from the original post and actually talking about the technical side of people doing these setups properly, the problem i see is this:

Most of these setups you see are on drag cars or street cars that have no other option, with fairly large turbos being put in the rear somewhere due to space restrictions under the bonnet, engine bay temperatures or other reasons. Putting aside the cars that have no choice to do it, since that isn't the case here, we all know you can fit whatever turbo you want into a skyline engine bay. So to the cars that do it on purpose:

These big HP drag cars launch off the line properly, usually off a two step, antilag, etc. Therefore lag and response isn't really an issue since they build boost on the launch.

On a street setup car however, the exhaust gas pressure in the manifold (remember the manifold is now an extra one to two metres long before it reaches the exhaust housing) would be very low at low rpm as would the heat in the exhaust housing due to this extra length causing high heat dissapation.

Keeping exhaust gas pressure low at high rpm is usually a good thing when trying to push big HP so therefore the setup could benefit in that sense (hence why maybe certain drag cars use them in the states) however down low you want high exhaust gas pressure and heat to get the thing spooling and being responsive down low. Say driving at 40kmh at 2000rpm in third and planting it. It's going to take a longer time for the exhaust gas pressure to build up travelling the distance and as is the airflow in the intercooler piping to build up pressure.

So honestly i don't see how response could be kept with a setup like this for a street car no matter what you did. A properly done front mount intercooler would have long piping aswell, therefore other forms of intercooling would have to be looked into, water-air perhaps. Everything is negative about a setup like this on a street car. The thing is on big block turbo V8's all this really doesn't matter since the displacement alone is enough to spool even the biggest turbo's fairly early, on a small 2-2.6L engine it does matter.

Edited by PM-R33

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic from the original post and actually talking about the technical side of people doing these setups properly, the problem i see is this:

Most of these setups you see are on drag cars or street cars that have no other option, with fairly large turbos being put in the rear somewhere due to space restrictions under the bonnet, engine bay temperatures or other reasons. Putting aside the cars that have no choice to do it, since that isn't the case here, we all know you can fit whatever turbo you want into a skyline engine bay. So to the cars that do it on purpose:

These big HP drag cars launch off the line properly, usually off a two step, antilag, etc. Therefore lag and response isn't really an issue since they build boost on the launch.

On a street setup car however, the exhaust gas pressure in the manifold (remember the manifold is now an extra one to two metres long before it reaches the exhaust housing) would be very low at low rpm as would the heat in the exhaust housing due to this extra length causing high heat dissapation.

Keeping exhaust gas pressure low at high rpm is usually a good thing when trying to push big HP so therefore the setup could benefit in that sense (hence certain drag cars use them in the states) however down low you want high exhaust gas pressure and heat to get the thing spooling and being responsive down low.

Think of a slight exhaust leak in the manifold how it effects performance from a drop in pressure.

So honestly i don't see how response could be kept with a setup like this for a street car. A properly done front mount intercooler would have long piping aswell, therefore other forms of intercooling would have to be looked into, water-air perhaps. Everything is negative about it. The thing is on big block turbo V8's all this really doesn't matter since the displacement alone is enough to spool even the biggest turbo's fairly early, on a small 2-2.6L engine it does matter.

You dont have that problem with a 3L :) Hey phil in thinking we should put two 3037s in my boot and see how a 150 shot goes getting it spinning :) PS........Fuel up :D

There are a couple of twin turbo V8s running around town with the set ups under the car. But I have heard it is a cnut to work on and fabrication was a little tedious. Mr thread started please post up your current thoughts :D

Cheers

looks like a rear diff and a motor sitting on top of it to me Trent and by the look of the direction of the tyres it also looks like its the rear... not too sure on what car though.

nah its definitely a GM 10bolt live axle. Front engine car.

Another thing. Can you imagine how hard it would be to sell a skyline with this work done and the floor cut out? You would never get how much you paid for the car.

+ 1 There is no way in hell I would buy a skyline if the had been hit up with the grinder and there was a dirty little hi flow hiding under the seat. Seriously just buy the skyline and if you make it quick enough you will outrun them anyways :)

Disclaimer: Lukas does not condone any illegal activities nor does he participate in these activities personally. Comments above which may seem inappropriate should be viewed as humor.

gotta love school holiday threads :)

yep >.< FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

People get so cranky with them it makes me laugh. BUT I do get cranky myself but I know that was me back in the day being a dick who didnt know shit...........not saying I know any different now but yep :)

BUT I do get cranky myself but I know that was me back in the day being a dick who didnt know shit...........not saying I know any different now but yep :)

Must not have been too long ago, you only joined 2 years ago :)

All this just to have a turbo car on your P's (cause lets face it, that's what this is about).

It's still illegal.

Anf another point, do you intend on keeping the car at a standard height? when i got defected the cop got under the car to measure the height, bit hard to hide it when his head is under there.

I love it... man these threads get crazier and crazier!!! Is it school holidays?

Just move to Tassie... you can drive whatever you like on your P's.

I used to drive a 300hp R31 coupe on my P's.... That was 12 years ago tho. Ha ha ha.

I'm working in and around the US/Carib, there are plenty of underslung turbo cars getting around. I have even seen turbo disguised in a large muffler box under the back of a Q45.

If I was a sneaky 17yo. I'd probably start with getting a job.

Then get a tidy NA 32 with a rb25de. Leave it unopened, get stock gtr injectors and stock fuel rail/reg. Mount a precision turbo billet 5557 where the rear muffler normally sits, hide it in a large muffler case, run the intake into the boot, use the defunked hicas lines for the oil supply and return (with a small scavenger pump to return the oil), bolt a short- quiet muffler to the dump, run a thin water to air barrell intercooler with a stelthy black radiator up front, run un painted mild steel 2" pipe for a charge pipe up into the stock airbox, through it and inside the stock plastic intake tube to the throttle body.

Re-tune the ecu and have fun.

Oh and stick a turbo whistler on the exhaust tip... for the authentic turbo sound!

OR

Hide a 150hp shot of nitrous and two bottles!

Good luck.

Must not have been too long ago, you only joined 2 years ago :)

Yeh I didnt join sau as soon as I bought my car. I just browsed the forums and read things. Only really officialy joined when I wanted to PM another use to ask them a question. Plus I was too embarrassed to ever ask the really noob questions coz lets face it they just get flamed or told to use the search button. WHICH is became a master of. But yeh I admit I don't know everything :)

And yeh what nismoid said. Its illegal no matter what. Either way turbo hidden a little better or not you going to get in shit for it.

AND to what PMS33 said - they are DEFINATELY going to look to see if its turboed if your driving a skyline. Plus your driving a skyline so thats an instant billion dollar fine and they will paint your car yellow :)

I love it... man these threads get crazier and crazier!!! Is it school holidays?

Just move to Tassie... you can drive whatever you like on your P's.

I used to drive a 300hp R31 coupe on my P's.... That was 12 years ago tho. Ha ha ha.

I'm working in and around the US/Carib, there are plenty of underslung turbo cars getting around. I have even seen turbo disguised in a large muffler box under the back of a Q45.

If I was a sneaky 17yo. I'd probably start with getting a job.

Then get a tidy NA 32 with a rb25de. Leave it unopened, get stock gtr injectors and stock fuel rail/reg. Mount a precision turbo billet 5557 where the rear muffler normally sits, hide it in a large muffler case, run the intake into the boot, use the defunked hicas lines for the oil supply and return (with a small scavenger pump to return the oil), bolt a short- quiet muffler to the dump, run a thin water to air barrell intercooler with a stelthy black radiator up front, run un painted mild steel 2" pipe for a charge pipe up into the stock airbox, through it and inside the stock plastic intake tube to the throttle body.

Re-tune the ecu and have fun.

Oh and stick a turbo whistler on the exhaust tip... for the authentic turbo sound!

OR

Hide a 150hp shot of nitrous and two bottles!

Good luck.

Yes just f**king get the NOS and hide that instead. Hide some little bottles under the cushion of the passenger seat :) Or something like that. Honestly from what I have heard a NA car with a wet nitrous system can be pretty damn quick. Would be a lot easier to instal the wet nos than to do that turbo kit.

or be like me and so a DET conversion on an nx coupe. was on my Ps and did the wiggly pinky at a cop speeding pointlessly in a school zone. he did a u turn then overtook 2 cars on the wrong side of the road to pull me over, ofcoarse speeding and still in the school zone.

ive never heard that kind of huffing and puffing and gotten such a telling off... then when he was done he said so you wanna be a smart ass? wheres your engineers certificate for your Muffler huh? I said I dont need one..

See pic attached.

post-43588-1261455594_thumb.jpg

I could easily have made a car like that undetectably turbo, they would need to have a REAL good look, and still have the spare parts lying around to do so... GG i miss my NXR :)

If you must, turbo the skyline, then make all the piping run through a faux airbox and a well hidden and boxed in sidemount IC. and get someone to fab you a giant heatsheild for the turbo. all easily doable.