SAU Community

Next Project? E36 M3, E46 M3, R34 Gtr?

glaze

Hi Guys,

After looking at modifying my current R33 GTR, I have decided to keep her unmolested and purring like a Tiger for the next lucky owner. In the next 6-9 months, I am looking at purchasing either a E36 M3, E46 M3 or an R34 GTR. Obviously the M3s have to be a 6 speed manual.

I will be looking to modify these vechiles but nothing over the top.

Nice power while a street look to them.

Can some one give me some feedback in regards to the comparisons between these vechiles and I know modding a GTR isnt cheap, but what about an M3, sticking a S/C on it etc etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I will be test driving these cars in the next few weeks to get some driver feedback to begin my planning.

Thanks Again:)

Jamie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems you have a fascination with M3's. I say buy one and leave it reasonably stock. Supercharging it will require alot of other supporting mods which will send you broke.

I say if you want a fast car go buy one.... assuming the M3 is not fast enough for you in stock form....

Now with those suggestions mentioned above they are two different sort of cars. One is a luxo-barge the other is a sports car. Nothing wrong with luxo-barges, especially if they're daily drivers...

Although you could drive the R34GTR as a daily as long as you don't go over the top with mods...

My 2c...

Although you could drive the R34GTR as a daily as long as you don't go over the top with mods...

My 2c...

I concur. Just exhaust, PFC/tune, clutch and that's it. Lasy and safe 240rwkw, super fun still as its not crazy fast.

We are not @ 4c and counting.

M3's are great things, (just not any SMG variant), but pale in comparison to a 34 GTR for relatively cheap performance upgrades.

I'd go a 34, and focus on brakes and handling, with mild engine tuning.

Enjoy whatever you chose mate :D

It comes down to personal preference, do you personally prefer luxury performance cars or just all out performance car, in terms of power for money you wont beat the gtr but in the end it really comes down to which one you like better both cars are reliable and both are expensive cars to keep, for me I would pick the gtr anyday no luxury car could make me choose other than a nice r34 gtr but to me sounds like you like more the luxury performance cars

Well I have had imports for the past 10 years, so no Luxury cars for me, but I have had a hankering for one for the past few years, but still want performance. Hence the M3. I am pretty happy to keep them mildly stock and I agree, the GTR will see better results for the $$$ put in.

I suppose its a matter of myself driving both vechiles and seeing with the luxury is worth sacrifice in performance.

Has anyone had both E36 and E46 versions of the M3, to me they look pretty similar from an interior point but I think the E46 looks a lot nastier. Is the extra $20K for an E46 worth it or a nice clean E36 is better value??

Decisions Decisions!! :D

I dunno, the bolt on low boost supercharger kits for the E46 are high up there in the desirable and cool list. They are banshees to start with, throw the high pitch wine of the supercharger at at it and its a good way to get a punch 250rwkws. I know the E46 would be my clear pick...

I think if you've gotten used to modified GTR's and want something different, go the M3. I prefer the look of the e46's personally.

whatever you do, if you decide to get an M3 just don't get the SMG version they suck balls. :P

It is going to be my daily hence the reason to move to a more luxurious car!

I have a soft spot for the E36 but I know the E46 is a nicer car. The only thing is I could get into a nice 6sp E36 now or wait 6 months and jump into a nice E46, I am quite an impatient person so I want to make sure I dont jump into anything.

E46 with a S/C is what im thinking, together with some nice suspension and handling mods down the track, with a sweet set of D/Dish rims could be a very nice mid year present??:P

as you mentioned yourself the E36 is $20k less then a E46

so that means you could possibly spend more money modding a E36

but i guess its whichever you will be more comfortable living with, if its going to be a DD

whatever you do, if you decide to get an M3 just don't get the SMG version they suck balls. :D

True to that Matt. A friend of mine has a '03 M3. His SMG is not engaging properly in 4th gear. Apparently, it is something to do with the SMG hydraulics. The unit itself is gonna cost him about $2k + labour. :woot:

It is going to be my daily hence the reason to move to a more luxurious car!

I have a soft spot for the E36 but I know the E46 is a nicer car. The only thing is I could get into a nice 6sp E36 now or wait 6 months and jump into a nice E46, I am quite an impatient person so I want to make sure I dont jump into anything.

E46 with a S/C is what im thinking, together with some nice suspension and handling mods down the track, with a sweet set of D/Dish rims could be a very nice mid year present??:)

If you are choosing between the E36 and E46, i'd choose the latter. Simple reason is the fact that it is a newer car and if you want to use it as a daily, you would want something that won't break down on you.

If you want to super charge the car, factor in costs involve for a cooler, bigger brakes, change your diffs, bigger injectors..as i said before, be prepared to spend much more than modifying a Jap import..

IMO, i'll get an airbox, exhaust and a tune and it'll be smick :D

Hi Guys,

After looking at modifying my current R33 GTR, I have decided to keep her unmolested and purring like a Tiger for the next lucky owner. In the next 6-9 months, I am looking at purchasing either a E36 M3, E46 M3 or an R34 GTR. Obviously the M3s have to be a 6 speed manual.

If it is the E36 M3 and you want the 6 speed, then you will need to find a 1996 - 1999 Euro Model + that will come with a 3.2lt inline 6.

The E46 M3 and R34 GTR will have 6 speeds stock.

I will be looking to modify these vechiles but nothing over the top.

Nice power while a street look to them.

Power range?

Light mod?

Can some one give me some feedback in regards to the comparisons between these vechiles and I know modding a GTR isnt cheap, but what about an M3, sticking a S/C on it etc etc.

Can't say much about the cost of modding the M3's but I assume it is in the similar price range with the R34 GTR.

You'd want good quality parts / upgrades so prepare to send a bit, IMO.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I will be test driving these cars in the next few weeks to get some driver feedback to begin my planning.

I am yet to had a drive in a M3, I really do like the E36 and E46 M3's tho.

I remember the 1st time I saw the E36 M3 (1993) and thought how nice of a car it was and still till today, a nicely done up E36 M3 looks great but it is a rare sighting tho...

Half the time it is all riced up E36 318i's.

As for performance, the spec's are pretty much inline ball with the GTR.

But the E36 M3 will be the lightest of all then the R34 GTR then the E46 M3.

Boost controller / ECU tune, exhaust on the R34 GTR.

M3 you can do exhaust, air intake, ECU tune.

+ it depends on how much money you want to spend :woot:

As far as mods, the M3s I would just probably do an exhaust and ECU tune, then it would mainly be wheels and some good suspension components. Maybe a S/C after a while if I thoughts it was worth it.

The R34 GTR I would do Turbos, Power Fc and some small supporting mods and shoot for about 275AWKW as a daily driver. Again would do nice wheels and suspension mods.

There are some nice E36 M3s on the market now for mid $20Ks which is nice but as I already have a really nice R33 GTR, I could just keep that and start to work on that, but I think an R34 GTR or M3 would be a nice present to myself this year :P

Thanks again for all your feedback guys and hopefully someone here will have owned both R34 GTR and E36/46 M3.

As far as mods, the M3s I would just probably do an exhaust and ECU tune, then it would mainly be wheels and some good suspension components. Maybe a S/C after a while if I thoughts it was worth it.

The R34 GTR I would do Turbos, Power Fc and some small supporting mods and shoot for about 275AWKW as a daily driver. Again would do nice wheels and suspension mods.

There are some nice E36 M3s on the market now for mid $20Ks which is nice but as I already have a really nice R33 GTR, I could just keep that and start to work on that, but I think an R34 GTR or M3 would be a nice present to myself this year :P

Thanks again for all your feedback guys and hopefully someone here will have owned both R34 GTR and E36/46 M3.

I just finished modifying my R32 GTR a few months ago. Used it as a daily and then bought myself an E46 M3. Since then i realised I don't even feel like driving my R32 anymore so I have put the car into storage waiting for someone to buy it.

Mine is an SMG and I do not regret not getting a manual at all. The boys at BMW have advised that the SMG pump tend to go at about 100K. Look for one which has already had the pump changed and you should be fine. A good condition 6 speed E46 M3 is very hard to find.

Thanks Chan, I will get a 6sp as I love manual cars and the experience of driving.

What do you guys think of Evo 8/9 and Clubsport R8s or FPV GT-P?? Should I be putting these into the equation, I think the HSV and FPV maybe a little big, but thought the Evo might be a good option. Thoughts??

Cheers