SAU Community

Ford F6 Typhoon Vs R34 Gtt

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having a mate that's owned an XR6t, 2 x Typhoons and an FPV Pursuit I can honestly say the amount of diff/gearbox breakages has put me off them. The engine is bang on though with the BA/BF's great for mods. Just let down by the rest of the build.

Having a mate that's owned an XR6t, 2 x Typhoons and an FPV Pursuit I can honestly say the amount of diff/gearbox breakages has put me off them.

...sounds like he's a slow learner tho' :)

...sounds like he's a slow learner tho' :)

have you met a ford nut.........lately? (its a pun...get it?) not sayin they're slow learners - just that they tend to be a bit one-eyed.....probably not unlike us with nissans...but at least we have plenty of choice outside the skyline. :)

The funny thing about this thread is that the Ford should be the clear winner, ie. fast (and expensive) family sedan vs cheap sports coupe....but Ford's reputation and track record have let them down, which is why there's more to the story than just the specs of each car. No one wants a car that will break, no matter how good it looks on paper. The skyline has a fantastic record of being bullet-proof (can the falcon handle 2x the power it came out with?) which is why it still has a chance in this comparison. Plus it has the potential to be everything the ford should have been if you want to pour money into it.

...sounds like he's a slow learner tho' :P

The warranty support has been very good ie no cost to him, especially when they gave him full FPV warranty on a chipped and well modded Typhoon recently. That may have been an error but he’s called them on it twice so far, and all covered :P

Yes he’s a one-eyed ford monster :P

Having a mate that's owned an XR6t, 2 x Typhoons and an FPV Pursuit I can honestly say the amount of diff/gearbox breakages has put me off them. The engine is bang on though with the BA/BF's great for mods. Just let down by the rest of the build.

I thought the 6 speed manual that started in the BA MKII (i think or was it BF MKI?) was supposed to be very strong and reliable

...not sayin they're slow learners - just that they tend to be a bit one-eyed.... yes, well I used to be passionate about Alfa Romeos; but I learned after having 3X... 1979 Alfetta GTV (broken uni joints, snapped exhaust manifold, crank oil leaks), 1989 Alfa Romeo 164Q (cracked strut towers, electronics, cracked & rusting rear 1/4 panel) and 2002 Alfa Romeo Umbrella (formed holes after 4 hours of usage) - yes, learned my lesson :P

No one wants a car that will break, no matter how good it looks on paper. especially the blue oval badge. :P

Rotaries to me = look good, go hard, rev nicely, unreliable and expensive...

Nooooooooo - please, not in this thread - put that in the other thread...

(tries to get all the worms back in the can...) :P

I thought the 6 speed manual that started in the BA MKII (i think or was it BF MKI?) was supposed to be very strong and reliable

From all accounts on the xr6 forums they are. The 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto's will die when you up the power but the 6 speed auto is very good and generally fine until you are hitting high 300s at the rear wheels especially if you change the fluid, of course some will have breakages sooner with abuse or repeated hard drag launches but when you're chasing a low 11 or high 10 on a standard gearbox in a heavy car you have to be realistic about potential damage.

As for the previous post about costing - compare a new f6 to the cost of a new r34 gtr at the time they were available, because everyone seems to be favouring it over the GTT. That extra amount goes a long way.

Just on the subject of comparing prices of cars AS NEW...everybody seems to be forgetting the skyline is a 2 door..

2 door cars are always more expensive...look at the cv8 for eg, all it was ,was a 2 door SS but it was quite a bit more expensive, 2 door bmws...most are exactly the same as the 4 door but more expensive...Im sure if the F6 came out in 2 door it would be alot more expensive as well

Just wanted to point that out anyways...

Leaning towards the Skyline now...almost have lost consideration for the Falcon after going for a drive in a few...the 'drive' isn't there unlike the Skyline series.

Just on the subject of comparing prices of cars AS NEW...everybody seems to be forgetting the skyline is a 2 door..

2 door cars are always more expensive...look at the cv8 for eg, all it was ,was a 2 door SS but it was quite a bit more expensive, 2 door bmws...most are exactly the same as the 4 door but more expensive...Im sure if the F6 came out in 2 door it would be alot more expensive as well

Just wanted to point that out anyways...

from the info i have seen the skyline 2 doors were generally about the same price, or cheaper than their sedan counterparts (when comparing the same model such as gt-t sedan and coupe of the same year).

from the info i have seen the skyline 2 doors were generally about the same price, or cheaper than their sedan counterparts (when comparing the same model such as gt-t sedan and coupe of the same year).

Would make sense for sedan to be slightly more expensive as you get a bit more car for the money.

I do find it strange that many coupe bmw's ect command a fairly decent premium but i guess thats the 'sporty' car image