SAU Community

Standard Air Box Or After Market

Hey guys, i recently got pulled over and copped a defect for my pod filter, so obviously i got that changed instead of my cooler.

but when i go my car tuned, it had the pod filter. Will it affect the performance in any way ??im currently running 14psi and pushing 240kw atw's im also currently got a blitz turnflow cooler so everything fits snug, will that be any difference to a normal cooler have a pod filter or the standard. iv ask a few people and they've given me different answers. is it possible just enclose my pod filter? or does it have to be full standard to be legal??

any help??? cheers

Edited by dnggskyline

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) LMAO im from Vic, so it wouldnt affect performance whats so ever?? sweet but iv been told that if it is physically untouchable ( the pod filter) then its alright, or have i heard wrong? and is it also illegal to have a ARC air box with the cooler or is it alright?

and +1 on the infomercials LMAO

There is nothing restrictive about the standard air box. I run one at 350 rwkw and it's fine. Pods are a bit of a gimmick unless your running a T51 of something similar.

stock airbox is fine anyway

put it on - DEFECTBEGONE!

Standard airbox is shit and restrictive. Car makes 280rwkw with the custom air intake I got, but with the standard airbox in it's own only made 270rwkw. I'll have my extra 10kw thanks. I got an intake setup that would pass you an EPA or a defect just because it looks like I have an airbox :). If you wanna know it pm me

btw only talking about the standard r33 gtst airbox. Gtr ones are probably better hence you can make decent power with them withou being too restrictive.

Standard airbox is shit and restrictive. Car makes 280rwkw with the custom air intake I got, but with the standard airbox in it's own only made 270rwkw. I'll have my extra 10kw thanks. I got an intake setup that would pass you an EPA or a defect just because it looks like I have an airbox :) . If you wanna know it pm me

btw only talking about the standard r33 gtst airbox. Gtr ones are probably better hence you can make decent power with them withou being too restrictive.

What sort of filter were you running, the standard unit or a decent hi flow panel filter?

As someone said above, you need a decent sized turbo to suck more than the standard box can flow.

Standard airbox is shit and restrictive. Car makes 280rwkw with the custom air intake I got, but with the standard airbox in it's own only made 270rwkw. I'll have my extra 10kw thanks. I got an intake setup that would pass you an EPA or a defect just because it looks like I have an airbox :D. If you wanna know it pm me

Just because it looks like an airbox - does not mean it will pass.

It counts as an intake modification if you are no longer using a panel filter and you have a POD. Fact.

You cannot argue the facts of the law unfortunately - regardless of how smart you think you might be.

Just because you might have cut the a$$ out of your factory airbox doesn't mean a lot, if you get EPA'd and try that over with them on a full inspection i'd be surprised to see you get passed.

As for the 10kw - if you can tell the difference, you are a better man than i am. You'll never notice 10kw other racing paper (dyno sheets).

Anyway we were not talking 280rwkw.

We are talking 240rwkw.

I would guess differences would be near on insignifigant using a high quality (read: expensive) panel filter for the topic/discussion at hand.

It counts as an intake modification if you are no longer using a panel filter and you have a POD. Fact.

The thing is i am using a standard r33 airbox with a panel filter. Its whats underneath the filter is the key lol

Ye a big hole with a CAI air feed - almost hidden, been done before, just pray you get the EPA on a good day is all i gotta say as technically its two intake modifications as you have "modified the intake"

Yea correct. My goal was to not get busted in the first place to not have to go to an epa. But yea im aware that its still 2 intake mods but most cops wouldnt look twice.

Yes. I am using pipercross filter ...there are others. I am making 245kw atm - haven't seen my intake pipe sucking shut yet! I'll look at it again when I am getting above the 350kw the poster above is making with the stock airbox.

Yes. I am using pipercross filter ...there are others. I am making 245kw atm - haven't seen my intake pipe sucking shut yet! I'll look at it again when I am getting above the 350kw the poster above is making with the stock airbox.

I got a custom 3 inch stainless intake pipe going to my afm, dont think if you have a turbo with a big compressor housing the standard crappy pipe will do

ok ill think ill stick to a standard air box, but if i were to get a high quality panel filter will it improve the performance and be as good as the pod?

K&N is what i use tried and tested.

LINK

Yea correct. My goal was to not get busted in the first place to not have to go to an epa. But yea im aware that its still 2 intake mods but most cops wouldnt look twice.

You drive a bright orange car... Might as well have a sign saying "look at me" :D

Probably a silly question, but would using a standard airbox & panel filter with changed piping to the turbo be fine?

All I hear are guys being told that changes to the airbox or popping a pod on is not legal if a FMIC is installed.... but what about airbox to turbo piping that still uses the stock AFM?