SAU Community

Standard Air Box Or After Market

There is nothing restrictive about the standard air box. I run one at 350 rwkw and it's fine. Pods are a bit of a gimmick unless your running a T51 of something similar.

+1 i'm making 330rwkw with the standard airbox. Everytime i get pulled over the cop sees the stock airbox and just leaves me alone. God knows why you want police trouble just for a bit of induction noise :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only other thing is the the arc airbox not sure about the induction noise on them would imange would be evident since the lid of it is open. im also running stock airbox 270kw no probelm and I got a blitz panel filter and still get good induction noise on boost

dude - read the vic section - has all this info.

ARC box + pod, is still a POD. So no.

FMIC & stock airbox.

OR

POD & Stock cooler

Simple and clear choice. Whoever you 'heard' from, knows nothing about the laws.

arc airbox is legal mate

ive been pulled over many times with mine in and they have let it pass

arc airbox is legal mate

ive been pulled over many times with mine in and they have let it pass

No it's not.

Just because the officer in question does not correctly know the law - does not make it legal.

Anything other than the factory airbox/intake, counts as a intake modification.

It's pretty simple to see why - its not factory.

If you went to the EPA with a ARC Airbox and a FMIC - you would fail.

There are several R34 GTR's making 380rwkw without a problem. The R34 Airbox is slightly better as it's a revised version.

I'd say it might be possible - uncharted territory to the best of my knowledge.

Well planning a build in the next few months and want to keep everything looking as stock as possible. Might have a chat to ben and see what he thinks.

you can get the SRI cold box from justjap to hide the pods.

Hey guys, i recently got pulled over and copped a defect for my pod filter, so obviously i got that changed instead of my cooler.

but when i go my car tuned, it had the pod filter. Will it affect the performance in any way ??im currently running 14psi and pushing 240kw atw's im also currently got a blitz turnflow cooler so everything fits snug, will that be any difference to a normal cooler have a pod filter or the standard. iv ask a few people and they've given me different answers. is it possible just enclose my pod filter? or does it have to be full standard to be legal??

any help??? cheers

• 2 weeks later...

stock airbox FTW

using some no name panel filter in stock box and car made 240rwkw. for shits and giggles we pulled the stock box off and ran with no filter and we didnt get any increase apart from induction noise and same with a pod filter.

OP for the power you are running atm your stock box is more then fine. unless you want fully sick induction noise then go something else but as posted not legal

Hey guys just a quick question here. I too am thinking off putting my stock air box back on (r34 gtt) to avoid getting defected (stock look). Car has a z32 afm, so just wondering before I start pulling things off will the afm fit into the standard air box??

Also what kind off panel filter would you recommend? Car is putting out 260rwkw if that helps.

Hey guys just a quick question here. I too am thinking off putting my stock air box back on (r34 gtt) to avoid getting defected (stock look). Car has a z32 afm, so just wondering before I start pulling things off will the afm fit into the standard air box??

Also what kind off panel filter would you recommend? Car is putting out 260rwkw if that helps.

Yes it's the same. Got my z32 going into my standard airbox.

• 2 weeks later...
with the standard air box in does it make a difference if you run it with or without the factory snorkel as i have my cooler piping in the way :)

You'd want the snorkel to feed cold air to the air box.

That's what it is there for.

If the cooler piping is in the way, you could try and make up an aftermarket cold air intake.

Some on needs to start producing some re-production factory looking air boxes for lines... Maybe sneak in some more volume and a larger inlet.

Just a thought.

J.

PS Anyone from Quensland have the link to the rules and regs in reguards to modifications?

Yer well in Vic we cant have both the FMIC and a Pod so you have to choose either one and as a result of my FMIC piping being in the way I cant have the airbox back in although the snorkel is unable to fit so, which leaves you with no legal alternative if you have a non turn flow cooler already

@ MP_R33 I had the same problem with my 34, so I took my snorkel to a plastic welder and had a go at modding it (cost $60). It isn't the best job but hey at least it doesn't have hot air from the engine bay going directly into the airbox and still have that stock look. I will try and get some pics up.