SAU Community

L24e - Throttle Has No Effect

I thought I would start a new thread for this, even tho I mentioned it in the previous thread I started... also helps me get my post count up :D ...

On a more technical note, one of the cars, that is destined to become the primary hack, had a blown head gasket. I had one of my heads overhauled (not sure what model, kidney shaped combustion chamber, small valves, FI ports (E88 rings a bell)... I ported it a little and matched it myself for free... I stripped off all of the polution gear and water heating for the manifolds/TB that I could see...

I now have two problems, I can get the car to start, it has fuel and spark, but nothing I do to the throttle has any effect... I changed the AFM and TPS with no effect... the car was running until the head came off, and I am a bit lost for ideas...

it is also pissing water out of either the head/block joint or Inlet Manifold/Head joint (where I don't think there are any water galleries). I am thinking perhaps one of the manifold studs/bolts has penetrated the water gallery in the head. I don't want to pull that apart until after I get the car running so I can transport it...

Any ideas???

The car starts and idles very badly (no exhaust, just headers)... but opening the TB has no effect, opening the AFM has no effect... the car just continues to idel exactly the same... I am wondering if one of the sensors I have disconnected would send the ECU into limp mode or something...

Cheers,

Daewoo

The car starts and idles very badly (no exhaust, just headers)... but opening the TB has no effect, opening the AFM has no effect... the car just continues to idel exactly the same... I am wondering if one of the sensors I have disconnected would send the ECU into limp mode or something...

Just an uneducated guess here but there is a throttle valve switch that tells the ECU if the throttle is fully closed or open. Is that still connected?

JH

Just an uneducated guess here but there is a throttle valve switch that tells the ECU if the throttle is fully closed or open. Is that still connected?

JH

That sounds like a likely culprit... where is the sensor for that located on the TB?

Yep, that's what I was calling the throttle postion sensor... connected, and swapped it with one I know works without effect...

Cheers,

Darryl

This switch has to be aligned, ie

it's a two way switch,

position one, is no throttle

position two, full throttle (3/4/ I think it is)

there is no linier value with this TPS.

Nigel

This switch has to be aligned, ie

it's a two way switch,

position one, is no throttle

position two, full throttle (3/4/ I think it is)

there is no linier value with this TPS.

Nigel

I dare you guys not to laugh when you read what the problem ended up being... I dare you...

The cars are at a mates place, and he has a lot of trouble with wasps making their mud nests in every available hole... so he had jammed a black spray paint can lid into the pipe from the AFM to the TB... right in the middle where the pipe bent... to stop wasps nesting in the inlet manifold :rofl:

so the car now runs (very badly but runs)...

Next problem tho... this car was supposed to be fine other than a blown headgasket... so I have now changed the head gasket and oil and filter, and the oil is again just as white as before I started... head is torqued correctly, so I don't think it will be a gasket (didn't really check that the block was flat I guess)... anywhere else where wet stuff often mixes with black stuff to become white stuff???

Cheers,

Daewoo

I dare you guys not to laugh when you read what the problem ended up being... I dare you...

The cars are at a mates place, and he has a lot of trouble with wasps making their mud nests in every available hole... so he had jammed a black spray paint can lid into the pipe from the AFM to the TB... right in the middle where the pipe bent... to stop wasps nesting in the inlet manifold :)

so the car now runs (very badly but runs)...

Next problem tho... this car was supposed to be fine other than a blown headgasket... so I have now changed the head gasket and oil and filter, and the oil is again just as white as before I started... head is torqued correctly, so I don't think it will be a gasket (didn't really check that the block was flat I guess)... anywhere else where wet stuff often mixes with black stuff to become white stuff???

Cheers,

Daewoo

I've seen holes in the front timing cover once, it had corroded through, into the engine

Agreed. I redid my head twice before I realised the problem was a actually pin hole in the timing cover - not noticable until I held it up in the sun and saw the light, so to speak. From memory there is also a hidden welsh plug under the timing cover, so that may also have corroded.

Thanks for that info...

Yeah, you can drop the timing cover if you drop the sump, done it a few times on the 1600...

I'll check that out...

Cheers,

Darryl

I've had the hole in the back of the water pump twice now. Got it welded the first time and replaced it with one from an L20 the second time.

I've had the hole in the back of the water pump twice now. Got it welded the first time and replaced it with one from an L20 the second time.

This will be the first thing I check when I go to work on the car this weekend...

Cheers,

Daewoo