SAU Community

4wd Issue

fat-lad

hey people,

got another problem with this thing,

on wednesday the stag decided to lock itself in 4wd mode, its the worst thing to drive now, ive heard it happening with diffrent size wheels and so on, but we havnt changed a thing, its just happened,

were not driving it now untill hopefully one for you guys can find me a resolution,

just to let you know, the 4wd light stays on - on the dash, you can hear the attesa pump going mad and it surges big time under acceleration,

any ideas people,

do you know about the button on the dash? (left of steering wheel , looks like an I , well 4 wheels) that does exactly what you have described . it something goes wrong with the system it will just shut down and stay in 2wd

Try taking the battery terminal off and then replacing it - hopefully that will reset the attessa computer. If not pull the 4wd fuse in the fusebox next to the battery. If that doesn't fix it (or at least make it driveable) you will have to pull the front drive shaft (4 bolts).

the attessa computer is hard to get at - its behind the trim behind the lh rear seat in the cargo area.

Somewhere there are fault codes - it has a little light that blinks.

Finally I have a spare attessa computer and also the unit that sits on top of the diff. (Also have a spare synchro switch if it is the switch in the dash that is stuffed).

Good luck

Bob

the syncro swith doesnt work when the 4wd light is on, when you 1st start the car its good, the syncro swith works, but then the 4wd light comes on and you hear the attessa pump going mad and the syncro swith does nothing, but the 4wd light stays on,

The light on the dash, is it the synco light or the yellow "4WD" light? At a guess it's the 4WD light and it's telling you there is something wrong with the 4WD system. First do as kiwi said, disconnect the battery, it may reset the error. I'd also pull both terminals off and clean the battery terminals and connections, these systems can go crazy with voltage issues.

If it still plays up after this you may need to get to the attessa ecu and read the error codes. An error code will point you in the right direction for a solution. Have a search in the tut/diy section, I think there is a write up on how to read the codes and what they mean. If it's anything like getting the codes from the hicas system you can do it from the drivers seat, it's just a sequence like, key on off 5 times, press brake twice, etc.... Then a light flashes the code on the dash.

josh, its the 4WD light not the syncro light man,

it drives like ass when it does it too, and now its on all the time, so were not driving it till its fixed, but every time i have drove it it surges like crazy and doesnt want to stop, its like the 4wd just wants to keep moving, and its making all kinds of funny noises underneath too,

come on people

You could help by saying what you have done (if anything). Did you try to reset the computers by cutting the power? Have you considered renewing the fluid or at least bleeding the system? (Assuming you have at least checked the level) Do some research in Google - there is stuff like this:

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/gt-rattesainfrormation

bob, the only thing ive done mate was to cutting the power, i havnt had a chance to look at anything yet, been very busy at work and so on, but next ill check the attessa comp (doing that right now) to see what the codes are, then ill post up what i find,

the main point of this post was for you guys to give me some heads up for what to check,

Regrettably i have only seen one guy who seemed to know all about the Attessa and he was on the SDU site and seems to have disappeared. It would be great if someone had the time to do all the research, get the appropriate bits of the manual translated etc because as time goes by more and more of us (and Skyline owners) are going to have problems and to most of us its a dark mystery! (And I bet most Nissan dealers wouldn't have a clue either!)

mate, just counted the flashes on the attessa computer and i got a code 75, which is throttle position sensor, ive got a spare throttle body at work so im gonna go grab it, i rekon this would be why it idles really weird and its a cop to drive when the 4wd light is on, what do you guys rekon????

mate, just counted the flashes on the attessa computer and i got a code 75, which is throttle position sensor, ive got a spare throttle body at work so im gonna go grab it, i rekon this would be why it idles really weird and its a cop to drive when the 4wd light is on, what do you guys rekon????
Yep tps is wired to Attessa - good luck!

problem solved, changed the throttle body with one i had off the old engine, and done, idles awesome again and no 4wd issues,

thanks to all that have helped out, this is why i joined this club because of people like you guys!!

josh im very lucky the fact that i got a whole motor sitting at work on an engine stand lol,

but after taking it for a drive 2nite for an hour i must say that my tps has not been doing what i should for a while, as now it drives perfect and idles perfect,