SAU Community

Rb25det Overheating

dilfukin

As the title states, ive got an rb25det,running alloy radiator.

6 months ago i had heater hoses splitting,which ended up being caused by the overflow line being blocked,so it couldn't release the pressure,or coolant.

At that stage i got the radiator flushed and system flushed,and i changed the cap too just for good measure.

Now i have a slow leak from a bung at the bottom on the radiator which is on the to do list,so coolant levels slowly drop,but ive been checking it and topping up with water when ever needed.

So im probably not running enough coolant,but the water is still a green colour.

Now when ever im driving,i can hear the fan kicking in and out,which is normal,and the temp gauge is always sitting just below half,but when i pull up,i can sometimes hear the water bubbling,and feel it bubbling in the overflow.

Take tonight i went for a drive,guess it would be about 26deg out,35min to destination,stopped for 15min,then 40min home again,driving normal,with a squirt here and there,pooped the bonnet as soon as i got home,fan going,coolant/water in overflow pooping/bubbling away,not much,but could feel it on the side of overflow bottle. Yet temp gauge sitting as always just under half..

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks

the noise you are hearing may be normal. you will someimtes hear some bubbling, etc when you pull up (my mothers car does it, as does my car - which runs are 82 degees). if you are really worried about it, get yourself an aftermarket temp gauge that way you can see exactly what temp the engine is getting to.

It sounds like your Radiator Cap, try replacing that.

Most people think a Radiator cap dosen't do anything, it's actually holds your coolent in until a certain PSI then relases it slowley into your overflow tank.

If you are loosing alot of coolant into your overflow it could be that your cap is worn out and not holding it's pressure anymore.

Hope this helps,

Tom

im having the same problem.. well, kind of.lol,

i get outa the car and hear all this bubbling... and im thinking WTF is that. pop the hood and the resovoir tank was just boiling.

is that dangerous? because myne doesnt show up on my temp either. it stays normal.

so i waited til the next day, noticed that there was no coolant under the cap. but plenty in the resovior.

filled it up (3litres), was ok for that day but then it done it again!

went to mechanic who done a pressure test and all that.. no leaks or anything.

he looked at the recovery cap and said it looks a bit old so get a new one.

now im just waiting for the car to cool down so i can put the new cap on and see if it does it again. hmmmm....

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...