SAU Community

Rb20 Turbo Upgrade

Rhysee

Ive tryed searching but cant find clear information.

Im buying a bigger turbo for my rb20 and im thinking either HKS GTRS or 2530.

Are these turbos direct replacement,will the stock oil/water lines fit?intake pipe fit?dump?Etc.

So can i just buy the turbo itself or will i need to buy it in a kit with oil lines etc?

Cheers Rhys

Hey man just finished putting a new turbo on my 32.

I went for a 33 highflowed by hypergear straight swap they suppley you with a new oil line and you need to cut a bit off the heat sheild to make it fit. Also you need a 33 intake elbow for the top of the turbo.

Seems pretty good so far havent had it tuned yet so cant really give you any info there. Boost comes on about 4000 pulls hard at about 4500.

Pretty easy to install hope this helps a little.

Errm GT-RS man.. whole kit ur looking at like 4k.. lol heap of kesh but i guess its an awesome kit...

I'd be going with the 2530 a lot of people love these... small turbo good for like 230kw... and great response..!

trust me for an rb20 u want response...!

I'm gonna go for a 2530 myself but just gotta wait no kesh and I'm gonna love it in the GTS-4 :banana:

good luck with choosing if i had the money i might have considered the gt-rs

take care.

those two are direct replacement turbos bolt on to existing flanges and if you get the kit yep you get everything.

you can buy the turbo's by themselves but you are just gonna have to get lines made up separate..depends if you can get your hands on a kit or not at a good price

depends on supporting mods and power figures but a GTRS will prob be too big and laggy... i had a 2530 on with cams + supporting maxed it out 321hp (240 rwkw) all in and done by 3800rpm till redline ... went hard

those two are direct replacement turbos bolt on to existing flanges and if you get the kit yep you get everything.

you can buy the turbo's by themselves but you are just gonna have to get lines made up separate..depends if you can get your hands on a kit or not at a good price

depends on supporting mods and power figures but a GTRS will prob be too big and laggy... i had a 2530 on with cams + supporting maxed it out 321hp (240 rwkw) all in and done by 3800rpm till redline ... went hard

2530 droolll lol see responsive is what ur after you dont want it spooling at like 4500rpm by then (if ur in a drag) thell be long gone lol

Even with a 2530, i have been in several RB20s with 2530s now and sure they may be making boost a few hundred rom earlier but the engines dont really start to pull until 4,500rpm. Turbos like the 2530 do give you more meat between 3,500 and 4,500rpm but when you consider that a bigger turbo will boost harder as the engine comes onto cam at about 4,500rpm the actual difference isnt that great.

So a 2530 will give you about 220-230 and nice drivability but still far worse then std (but better then any 450hp hi-flow will ever hope to match) Then you can go something bigger like a 2835 of GT-RS which will boost a few hundred rpm later, closer to 4,300-4,500rpm as the engine comes on cam. But rather then nose diving over 6,500rpm because of the tiny hot side of the turbo you can actually get more meat into the 7,000rpm rev band.

Its been a while since i looked, but the lil 2530 sort of hits peak power at about 6,200rpm and dies off. A bigger turbo (in my case TD06 which isnt too different to a GT-RS) actually hits that sort of peak power at about 6,000rpm on its way to making over 230rwkws all the way between 6,000rpm and 8,000rpm, peaking as high as 260rwkws.) It will make for the far quicker car if you can keep the thing on the boil. But if you are driving between 3,000-5,500rpm then the bigger turbo will lose out

So really depends on what you want. If you want ultimate performance where its harder to go quick and you have to work harder then the GT-RS will make for the quicker car. But if you want lazier, easier power that feels quicker most of the time then the 2530 is a proven, good thing

Will line a friend up in his Tomei camed RB20 with 2530 and my std TD06 RB20 for a second gear 40km/h roll on. Will be interesting. I bet he gets the jump but will be itneresting to see if i catch him up????

roy is right, rb20's love to rev so get a turbo that works well when they rev!!!

2530 is great turbo but really lacks the top end punch people expect now days...

i've got a bolt on hypergear turbo sitting at home which im hoping will be all in by 4300 and punch power out all the way to 8000-8500rpm :(

Was gonna mention the TD06, but didn't wanna look one sided, but Roy has seen more combo's than I, and I agree, I just wouldn't bother with one for a daily if you are planning to enjoy the turbo on the street. If you are looking at track then go for it, a great option. But hey I'm biased.

What about a 2871 style turbo with a proper garrett (t3 flanged) housing and not the machined OP6 housing? would that work out?

Was gonna mention the TD06, but didn't wanna look one sided, but Roy has seen more combo's than I, and I agree, I just wouldn't bother with one for a daily if you are planning to enjoy the turbo on the street. If you are looking at track then go for it, a great option. But hey I'm biased.

What about a 2871 style turbo with a proper garrett (t3 flanged) housing and not the machined OP6 housing? would that work out?

Also wondering about this ive got a kkr430 at the moment and its junk. Its too big and dosn't make much boost until 4500rpm.

Any thoughts about how early in the rev range say either a 3071r or 2871r would come onto boost?

Also i have a hks cast manifold with hks gate and have heard that a 3071 is suited to this set up is this true?

I have hks2530 turbo.

Aim for a series 2 hks2530, they are direct bolt-on to standard r32 dump pipe (dont need a hks dump pipe) and are more responsive.

Easiest way to tell is that series 2 have 9 fins and split between wastegate

600x4482008092200010.jpg

Direct bolt-on to r32's. Doesnt hurt to have some new braided lines, but im pretty sure its fine on standard lines (do some research into this)

Will line a friend up in his Tomei camed RB20 with 2530 and my std TD06 RB20 for a second gear 40km/h roll on. Will be interesting. I bet he gets the jump but will be itneresting to see if i catch him up????

I got a std 2530 if that will make the comparison better :thumbsup: