SAU Community

My Welding Pics Thread

ISL33P

Yeah it used to be all pulsed. I am now mixing it up now. Along with some torch and gas chsnges.

It is mainly done for looks because it's what people like to see. It hasn't ever threatened the structural integrity of anything I have made. It still gives plenty of good penetration.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm now using a WP12 torch, with a genuine weldcraft lense kit and clear nozzle.

I ended up with a Flexi water-cooled torch too but it's not a comfortable to use for alloy stuff. Great for cage work though.

Ariel I have an interesting gas setup to which I'm trying.

Pure helium bottle and an argon bottle, a valve setup on both bottles and twin flow meters. The rest is obvious you can adjust your mixture as desired ;)

You'll have to drop past and have a crack at it. Seems to work well.

I have seen those setups, I just don't have the space in my place to fit much more. I tried the a new gas mixture on the weekend but ended up sending it back, my machine just didn't have the adjustability to cater for it, but dam it was cranking thru the 3mm at about only 60amps.

No no chromoly, just alloy. Helium can vary from approx 25% to 80%

Im not sure about ariel but I weld Ti and heaps of 4130 Molly.

I do titanium in an argon purged chamber which is a large sandblasting cabinet I've converted.

4130 I use argon as well.

I've only used up to a 30% helium but I've been told there is guys using 100% helium. Ariel an probably elaborate his the one who introduced me to it.

Man I would love to weld chromolly or titanium just to mix it up I do alot of stainless and alloy but never had the opputunity to do either Molly or TI more so curiosity on how the material reacts etc .is that why u do it in purged cabinet does it contaminate easily during welding?

:-) but there is still time

What gas suplier do u deal with Ariel ?

Have u heard of supergas?

My tool supplier just told me about thinking of changing companys

I use BOC gases. Use one of their standard argon/helium mixes.

Always room for more tools!!! I am thinking of getting a new welder...Does anyone want mine? It has led a very easy life, welding for may 1-2 hours per week for the last couple of years from when I bought it new.....remember, I only do this fab work on weekends and more than 80% of my time is in the preparation, welding is the fun part but it is all over too quickly. Comes with the exact setup to do everything you have seen in this thread, torch, regulator and water cooler all included. Machine retailed for $4500 alone, then add water cooler, water cooled torch, there is about $5500 worth of goodies, but I am chasing around the $3,000 mark. Note it is a 3 phase machine.

I'm just a welding noob but I thought GTAW is supposed to be 100% argon?

I'm looking at getting myself a TIG, so this is relevant to my interests... what gas mix do you guys use for ally, and can it be used successfully with stainless and mild steel as well?

No u don't use 100% argon for all gtaw

For ally u would want argon helium blend or argon

Stainles you can use these gasses for also

Mild steel you need another argon blend called stainsheild or argoshield

Which is argon helium and carbon dioxide I think from memory

Well I've welded MIG alright with pure argon. is TIG a lot more sensitive to the type of gas?

Looks like I'll either get two bottles, argon and argoshield, or just do monthly rentals or whatever BOC offers.

I've been looking at This TIG, from what I can find online it seems pretty good... anyone used one of these?

Yeah I am looking at something with frequency control!!

The percentage of helium is dependent on the bottle, I chose to a pemix. You can buy them premixed from 25% to 75%, roughly. Since I rarely do stainless or mild, premix is the best way for me. I have used them on both mild and stainless without a problem what so ever.

Edited by ISL33P

Well I've welded MIG alright with pure argon. is TIG a lot more sensitive to the type of gas?

Looks like I'll either get two bottles, argon and argoshield, or just do monthly rentals or whatever BOC offers.

I've been looking at This TIG, from what I can find online it seems pretty good... anyone used one of these?

That tig look ok but unsure on brand name for that price range u could go wit a uni mig 200 amp acdc unit there awsomE value for money plus they take a good flogging

And u can weld mild steel with pure argon but I think from memory it will spatter more and give poorer penetration ...

The argoshield blend is a helium argon co2 blend witch shields mild steel during mig and tig

Yeah I am looking at something with frequency control!!

The percentage of helium is dependent on the bottle, I chose to a pemix. You can buy them premixed from 25% to 75%, roughly. Since I rarely do stainless or mild, premix is the best way for me. I have used them on both mild and stainless without a problem what so ever.

What sort of unit are u looking at Ariel?

Argon helium blends are sweet for stainless and stainless mild steel blends but as explained above not great for just mild

I'm looking for an inverter machine. Lincoln, Kemppi or CIG or of i find an old Miller Syncrowave 300, I will stick with a 3 phase machine, those things are the bomb!!!!!!

Edited by ISL33P

I forgot to mention, that the machine I am selling is a Licoln Precision Tig 225....good for 230amps with argon, but almost 300amps with a helium mix :thumbsup:

Honestly mate I personally do not like the kempi machines we have a couple at work and they always have problems the gas feed constantly plays up and the button Shocks u I personally just don't like what u het for the price u pay but never had a drama with lincoln units also maybe look into fronius inverters there not bad either I'f u have money To spend Mate

I think lincoln might be the way. Fronius is out of my budget and so is kemppi, but I have never heard anything bad about kemppi but the last thing is need is problems with a welder, I have in the past and it just causes massive work backlogs.....which means more pressure to get things done faster for customers.

Edited by ISL33P

That tig look ok but unsure on brand name for that price range u could go wit a uni mig 200 amp acdc unit there awsomE value for money plus they take a good flogging

And u can weld mild steel with pure argon but I think from memory it will spatter more and give poorer penetration ...

The argoshield blend is a helium argon co2 blend witch shields mild steel during mig and tig

Thanks man thats just the info I was after... Would definitely prefer a unimig over a random brand one. Somehow missed the unimig 200 in my searching... wacko.gif

Now to find a place to get it cheap in Perth... :D