SAU Community

5 Dead To-day's Accident

GTR-N1

Yep, exactly. It's unfortunate but personal experience really seems to be all that will stop an immature mind from taking unnecessary risks. It's always a case of "that happened to that person, but it won't happen to me." I know personally for me it changed when I saw friends roll their cars off mountains, straight into tree's, etc. I had some close calls, but seeing those things really sobered me up.

If only there was a safe way to do this to people, to simulate the experience itself. It's very much a close to home thing, cause we hear about death all the time...overseas...in any distant context, but then probability comes knocking on your door and it's just surreal. That ride in the back of the ambulance makes you feel very stupid for thinking it can't/won't happen to you. I've heard suggestion of taking offending drivers to the scenes of accident trauma but the logistics of it don't really work and traumatising might do more harm than good.

For all those that say advanced driver training is required - I agree - however the reason for the training is to get you out of sticky situations, if you are obeying the law in the first place - It does not give an excuse to drive any car to its limits on a public road and save you.

This is true but advanced/defensive driver courses can also teach the driver (and many place emphasis on) the limitations of the vehicle in a safe place. It's obviously better to learn the point at which you lose traction on a skidpan than in the street. It may not remove the attitude or the hoon behaviour from the driver but atleast the driver will have seen / been familiar with the limitations of that particular vehicle.

only problem is that After doing an advanced drives course or drift lessons etc heaps of people think they are king dick and the next DK so they go out n kill themselves or someone else. It's good how driver dynamics tell that to everyone before they start and show the part of a crashed ferarri as an example

Yer that's why I put the part in about it instilling overconfidence in the driver :)

Agree with Nick and I know exactly what you're saying; older cars demand more respect from the driver (similar to my "car too powerful to drive fast" theory) because of their short limitations. Same situation with a VL Commodore my brother owned...thing felt like it would fall apart if you drove it in anything but a straight line at the speed limit. And it took ages to stop with the brakes. The whole "modern car is a safe car" thing that manufacturers aim for...to me translates to "modern car is an overconfident driver". There's another issue that goes with this, i.e. that of driving a capable car and then getting into a less capable car and pushing the latter to the same limits as the former...happens all the time. ABS brakes are in my opinion the worst invention...too many people on the road depend on it because there's rarely consequence from braking too hard or late. If cars play a part I don't think it's high performance cars, it's modern cars.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of old cars and them falling appart....

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3453142/funny_drift_ever/

Chek that out :

went past the scene last night... to see where the incident was... sorry to say but the only thing that could have caused that was an absolute tool of a driver not giving a crap about any1 else in the car... virtually impossible to loose it there if driving straight... he must have been fooling around and touched the gravel on the side which caused slip... only explanation i think.. well just have to wait until the girl speaks i guesS?

Thanks mate, how old are you?

I've been on the road for over 20 years and had personal experiences in something like this.

Don't call out "this is the silliest post in a while" without finding out the reasons behind it, there are better ways a mod can act.

My age has nothing to do with your comments, that is irrelevant.

Fact of the matter is, as i said, any idiot in any car - can turn it into a death sentence.

It doesn't matter if its a 1987 R31, or a 2006 XR6. Both cars can get t0 140km/h, if anything the older car is more dangerous without airbags, stability control and so on.

It soley comes down the whoever is behind the wheel. So "banning" Holdens & Fords is not the answer - Fact.

...the sooner the cops wake up to the fact that it's the mentality of drivers that cause the accidents and dangerous situations instead of the cars they drive, the easier it will be to police it.

What would you suggest to the Police to change the mentality of these drivers?

I remembered a nice blue R34 GTR cut in half by the owner's son who killed not only himself but his friends in a very similar fashion.

I also remembered my late brother stacking my car without permission. It would have killed him and his mate if it wasn't for the roll cage I had in that car.

See any similarities? They were all P platers driving cars beyond their experiences.

heard next year the age has gone up to 17 for L's. would that still be only 2yrs till they get their P's ? if so dont see how that would change anything.

should keep it at 16 for L's. and postpone the P age limit to say 19-20. thats 3-4yrs of Learning behind the wheel.

but just making them start later at 17 and get their P's by 19 its still only 2yrs or practice. wont change a thing, sure they might mature a bit, but practice is everything, god forbid but they might even have a minor accident while on their L's, that might be a Reality check on what might happen if they are speeding and going stupid.

now accidents are inevitable, if its going to happen it will. now im not saying accidents are a good thing, so dont even think about blasting me, just a very good reality check if one was to happen to a learner driver

reading the article in the age, it seems as the driver was at a party. some gatecrashers arrived, he jumped in his car along with the others. the gatecrashers attempted to remove him from the car but didn't, he sped off and the gatecrashers jumped in a car to pursue him. that was according to his GF that was at the party. i am going to wait until more evidence to jump to conclusions that the driver was just attempting to go as fast as possible.

checked the site again, the driver might have been drinking as well.

^increasing the driving age is stupid, how do you expect people to go into the workforce and become independent? and don't give me that public transport bs, a lot of the time it isn't good enough. current ages are fine were they are. just need drinking driving to be an impound offense.

Edited by Peter89

Don't have a problem with your idea Terry. But these things cost money, and no government is going to spend money on these things. All they are interested in is raising money from fining people for minor indiscretions.

Yes, well back on my Prevention Barrow...

If I wanted to obtain an upgraded licence to enable myself to drive a high power/wt car & at the same time do a deal with the insurance co. to get a lower premium, I'd have to ask myself if I'd be prepared to

a) pay for the advanced driver courses out of my own pocket - wouldn't expect anyone else to pay it either,

b) pay for my hours on a skid pan during a drought

c) pay for the fuel & maintenance of the car to do the hours for night driving and...

d) pay for the Psych Testing report that goes to the RTA (which says that I have no questionable psychopathology)

To drive a R33 GTS-T on red Ps, sure I would. I'd even work overtime to raise the moolah.

I actually believe that I as a 60 yr old should pay the state gov't to test me every 5 years - right now - this minute!

I haven't been tested since 1966 for crying-out-loud!

If I'm a commercial pilot, I need to be tested every year by a senior check captain.

Compulsory licence re-testing every 3 years, for ALL drivers young and old. That's what I'm talking about Terry! Shit will never get passed though, not while a majority of voters know they wouldn't pass a driving test. They'd fail on mirror checks alone. Everyone drives with this mentality they are the only car on the road, or if they can't see it it's not there. Ignorance of the keep left unless overtaking rule is evidence of this. I actually thumbs up drivers when they move over to the left lane upon my approach...that's how rare it is.

Compulsory licence re-testing every 3 years, for ALL drivers young and old. That's what I'm talking about Terry! Shit will never get passed though, not while a majority of voters know they wouldn't pass a driving test. They'd fail on mirror checks alone. Everyone drives with this mentality they are the only car on the road, or if they can't see it it's not there. Ignorance of the keep left unless overtaking rule is evidence of this. I actually thumbs up drivers when they move over to the left lane upon my approach...that's how rare it is.

you're darn tootin'

plenty of 60 yr olds actually

i) don't use turn indicators very well

ii) are remiss in doing head-checks

iii) use a bump-to-park method

iv) hog lane 2

v) don't understand the roundabout rules

vi) brake too late because RTA eye tests are inadequate

but then plenty of young'uns

i) can be impatient

ii) think it's ok to drink'ndrive

iii) think it's ok to mull-up'ndrive

iv) think it's ok to snort'ndrive

v) think it's ok to sms'ndrive

vi) speed without the experience/read the road ahead/drive according to the conditions

reading the article in the age, it seems as the driver was at a party. some gatecrashers arrived, he jumped in his car along with the others. the gatecrashers attempted to remove him from the car but didn't, he sped off and the gatecrashers jumped in a car to pursue him. that was according to his GF that was at the party. i am going to wait until more evidence to jump to conclusions that the driver was just attempting to go as fast as possible.

I havent heard about that, would change things alot if the car was heading down to the police station - find those gatecrashers

Yes, well back on my Prevention Barrow...

If I wanted to obtain an upgraded licence to enable myself to drive a high power/wt car & at the same time do a deal with the insurance co. to get a lower premium, I'd have to ask myself if I'd be prepared to

a) pay for the advanced driver courses out of my own pocket - wouldn't expect anyone else to pay it either,

b) pay for my hours on a skid pan during a drought

c) pay for the fuel & maintenance of the car to do the hours for night driving and...

d) pay for the Psych Testing report that goes to the RTA (which says that I have no questionable psychopathology)

To drive a R33 GTS-T on red Ps, sure I would. I'd even work overtime to raise the moolah.

Dont say i agree with the psych test, Id be barred for life with my "beautiful mind" lolz. Never had a speeding ticket or reckless/hoon driving and I tick all the red boxes

Big fan of plenty of night driving and driving in the rain as it is the most dangerous thing you can do

Dont say i agree with the psych test, Id be barred for life with my "beautiful mind" lolz. Never had a speeding ticket or reckless/hoon driving and I tick all the red boxes

Big fan of plenty of night driving and driving in the rain as it is the most dangerous thing you can do

The Psych Test was just an option to fast-track the P driver's approach to drive a high power/wt car Johnny. Same as starting off with the air force...hehe

http://www.theage.com.au/national/how-five...00117-med8.html

STEVEN Johnstone's Saturday night started to go horribly wrong when gatecrashers arrived at a party he was attending.

By 2am, he lay dead by the side of the road at Mill Park along with four others. Police and his friends and family are still trying to make sense of what happened in between.

''He was everything,'' said Johnstone's girlfriend of two years, Natalie Bryant, who was with him at the party. After the gatecrashers arrived, she said, he had decided to move his high-powered 2007 Ford XR6, his pride and joy. He climbed in with his younger half-brother, Will Te-Whare, 15, and four other mates, but was quickly surrounded by five or six men who tried to get him out.

According to his girlfriend, Johnstone sped off in anger. Some gatecrashers ran after him while others piled into another car and drove off in pursuit, she said.

The apprentice roof tiler was in the car with Will - who friends say wanted to be a rapper and loved the late US artist Tupac - and mates Mathew Lister, 17, Ben Hall, 19, and Anthony Iannetta, 18, and his sister, Elissa, 15, the only survivor.

One day when Government is not all about money, but safety, Cars will be produced to go 115 max, and after that fuel cut kicks in. Similar to Jap fuel cut at 180. 115 is plenty because u never need to go over 115, so why not limit cars to 115KM/H?

^increasing the driving age is stupid, how do you expect people to go into the workforce and become independent? and don't give me that public transport bs, a lot of the time it isn't good enough. current ages are fine were they are. just need drinking driving to be an impound offense.

I read an updated article this morning which confirmed the party and gate crashers and so on. It also was said that before the crash a male passenger was seen hanging out the window acting like a moron. I'm pretty convinced that they were just being stupid n now have payed the ultimate price. Wouldn't suprise Me if drugs and or alcohol was involved as well.

The media don't know what they're on about. What's the definition of "high powered" anyway.... Ford XR6 isn't high powered.

Ash is right... it's the attitude/mentality/bravado/stupidity/lapse of proper judgment/ignorance of the law that is the root cause of high speed accidents. End of Story. A car is nothing without the driver, it's the driver who puts his/her foot down.

One day when Government is not all about money, but safety, Cars will be produced to go 115 max, and after that fuel cut kicks in. Similar to Jap fuel cut at 180. 115 is plenty because u never need to go over 115, so why not limit cars to 115KM/H?
Except when you want to take your car out on the track.

It's annoying enough to hit the 180k/h limiter half way down the front straight of Phillip Island. Imagine hitting the 115 limit as you enter the top of the main straight of PI.

It's annoying enough to hit the 180k/h limiter half way down the front straight of Phillip Island.

you mean the 180k/h limiter you remove by snipping a wire?

if you put in a limiter, people will remove it, even the most ingenius of CAN-Bus ECU's these days can be overridden. It'd just be a waste of lobbying, development, implementation and regulation money.

Something like the Jap spec R35.

If all new model cars came with an up datable GPS system. Im sure it would be possible to speed limit all cars to 115 on all freeways, maybe 80 for areas classed as suburban. Then have particular areas. I.e Racetracks at an open speed limit. Which these areas if updated would be fixable in the "latest version".

Yes. I know methods will be produced to "crack" the software. If 99% of cars retain the limit and only 1% get it unlocked. There will still be far less speed availability on offer when it isn't needed.

Once again though. This would take money to develop which would also mean we all get pinned for more money.

At the end of the day :ph34r: to all the people caught doing the wrong thing. All these cases seem to be repeat offenders. They get caught doing the wrong thing, get away with a slap on the wrist then realise the punishment isn't that serious. Sadly when your gambling you need to be prepared to lose.