SAU Community

5 Dead To-day's Accident

GTR-N1

I just don't believe it :D

On the news, it's just been reported that a mate of one of the deceased was caught doing 160 in a 70 zone. :ermm:

When is it going to penetrate the cerebral protective bone? :rant:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually believe that I as a 60 yr old should pay the state gov't to test me every 5 years - right now - this minute!

Unless you know you skills are deteriorating I don't know if this would really benefit the general public. Its true that psychological state changes over time, some people may not be as sharp as they were used to due to stress, eyesight etc. It could be the reason why 40-60 year olds make up the second largest casualties in national road toll, but then they could also make up most of the Australia population.

why not limit cars to 115KM/H?

Great idea if there is some kind of limiter for normal streets if a GPS system comes in to play as someone said.

Is there a way to turn off people's mobile phones as well while driving? This is also driving me nuts.

On the news, it's just been reported that a mate of one of the deceased was caught doing 160 in a 70 zone. :ermm:

On the radio this afternoon I heard they were doing 165km/h.

Yes there's ways to jam a GSM signal frequency, but there's issues with that for example emergency situations. A lot of cars now come with bluetooth hands free functionality built in, so disrupting GSM signals would defeat the purpose of this - it wont happen.

Errr I think the ideas some of you are coming up with are just stupid - it's not the car, it's the driver. The changes some of you guys are talking about are unrealistic and simply not going to happen. The regulators would have to physically modify every car on the road to make it reasonable and fair to all.

Well, the car was unregistered (according to ACA)

S. Johnstone had been drinking alcohol before driving off (according to ACA)

He'd been pinged for speeding a couple of months before this incident (again according to ACA) - on red Ps

One day when Government is not all about money, but safety, Cars will be produced to go 115 max, and after that fuel cut kicks in. Similar to Jap fuel cut at 180. 115 is plenty because u never need to go over 115, so why not limit cars to 115KM/H?

cuz it's a waste of money. a vast majority of speeding is less then 100kph and for the people that want to go over, they will just get the limiter removed.

how many people with jap imports still have the stock limiter? quiet a few but an ECU upgrade/reflash is a basic upgrade.

i was at my girlfriends house which if you look at the image in the hearld sun backs onto plenty rd 2 door down from where they hit . i woke up just after the smash and could hear the cops working on geting the young girl out of the car which was so @#^$ed there were parts everywhere and 5 bodies under a tarp . i hear that they were being chassed by a car of tools who were trying to bash the driver from some party they came from !

shit thing to have happen .

now the police are going to be everywhere in mill park . i like cruising around but never that fast . it stuffs it for the rest of us who just like cruising for the love of cars, who are going to get busted now just for going to meets.

oh well .

Sheeesh another thread on this but nothing else on tonight so will type a reply....

Firstly, condolences to the familes of those involved, this is very tragic and not a knock at the door I would like.

This has been covered after every multiple fatality, particularly where young lives are lost.

Advanced driver training, isn't the answer and as someone else has said, it makes people think they are "it" on the road (males at least).

Some easier solutions but not still not easy by any accounts:

1. Teach the learner driver to drive (not a parent clocking 120 hours with their kid). As some longer serving members on here will know, I was taught in the UK where a 40% first time pass rate is the max. I didn't pass first time and am not ashamed. Driver instructors need to be trained to a high standard who subsequently pass that on to their students. All up I had 35 hours but they were 35 better than a lot of tutors I see on the road via parents.

2. Make insurance mandatory (like in the UK), this gives a real value to cars, mobility, life and the PRIVELIGE of driving. For me to drive a car that was a mere 1.6i, it cost me more to insure than buy the car. Hence fast cars with young drivers are low and limited to soccer players.

3. No one seems to understand, a 3.6 car is a big engine for a first car! I had a 1 litre, 4 speed car that was essentially nothing more than a lawn mower! To hit 110 kph in that took an eternity.

Anyway, rant over and hopefully some day someone with the power to make a decision will act on at least one of the points above. I understand jobs being protected/industry protection but you can't have your cake and eat it. :D

RIP to the 5 who lost their lives

we could be here all day pointing the finger but in the end people are gonna do what they want

we can only educate and teach new drivers about correct driving techniques and what happens when things get out of control

hopefully people will get the point eventually...without anyone loosing their lives

RIP to the 5 who lost their lives

we could be here all day pointing the finger but in the end people are gonna do what they want

we can only educate and teach new drivers about correct driving techniques and what happens when things get out of control

hopefully people will get the point eventually...without anyone loosing their lives

+1 but self-control in terms of speed is even more important than how to correct, there's not much chance of correction if your going so fast on a public road.

RIP

okay bare with me here cos it might sound strange but........

I think modern cars have too much grip and handle too well... when they do finally let go its at a much higher speed... also they tend to be much heavier than older cars so when they start sliding its much harder to reign them in

that coupled with the fact that we refuse to teach P platers how to control an out of control car or even emergency brake

Young people should learn to drive on cars without the electronic aids, cars that have a smaller grip threshold and are generally more difficult to drive... young guys just like to take it to the edge, doesn't matter where that edge is... if its an older car that edge will be at half the speed of a modern XR6

my mates first car, a '78 datto would top out at 140km/h (and take half an hour to get there)... at that speed it felt like the world was ending, like the car would come apart...

BEST POST....

Sad truth is doesnt matter what you do cause sometimes people just dont care about themselves, the law or the people around them

Psych tests.......dont these people get ostrasized enough as it is...

Drug tests.........these people obviously arent to worried about the law already

Speed limiters...Can and will be overridden

I take back my point about personal experience. Obviously doesn't work for some people...

Great idea if there is some kind of limiter for normal streets if a GPS system comes in to play as someone said.

Is there a way to turn off people's mobile phones as well while driving? This is also driving me nuts.

Maybe speed signs that transmit a signal to the vehicles passing through, telling the speed governor the maximum speed the vehicle can travel at? The technology is there and quite simple. Implementation not so, but all great things take time.

Yes there's ways to jam a GSM signal frequency, but there's issues with that for example emergency situations. A lot of cars now come with bluetooth hands free functionality built in, so disrupting GSM signals would defeat the purpose of this - it wont happen.

Errr I think the ideas some of you are coming up with are just stupid - it's not the car, it's the driver. The changes some of you guys are talking about are unrealistic and simply not going to happen. The regulators would have to physically modify every car on the road to make it reasonable and fair to all.

No need to knock these car-related ideas man, I think the actual unrealistic expectation is that something can be done to change the driver attitude. What people have listed in this thread isn't too far from the reality of the future and many concepts that have already been tested around the world and taken into consideration for future road planning. Putting speed governors in new cars would eventually phase out the ability to speed in a vehicle after a decade or two. Sports / road and track cars can have GPS governors like the R35 that remove limits on a race track. It wouldn't impact the new car market too much in terms of sales - people can still accelerate just as fast to the speed limit in a Ferrari. This is the assumption that is made anyway when such a vehicle is purchased...that the driver is going to abide by the law. And what's with the "fair to all" thing? Like it's unfair that the other people in older cars have the ability to speed and lose their licence / kill themselves? I doubt governors would do anything to promote speeding in older cars that don't have them...we wouldn't see anymore than what is happening now. And if you're worried about that, perhaps double the penalties for speeding.

Speed limiters being overridden - why assume that everyone in the speed limited future will be doing this? But anyway, for the few people who do decide to do it, have the car that's had its limiter tampered/removed taken off the owner, re-limited and sold at auction with money going towards the limiter scheme or a charity. Sounds unfair? Simple...don't do it. It's not something you can slip up on, like speeding just because you let your foot ride the accelerator a little more. You've made something of a conscious decision to remove the limiter off the car...you lose it. Like littering in Singapore...look how clean the place is.

Like littering in Singapore...look how clean the place is.

Its only clean because the cleaners work overtime... I can be in the city at 4am after a movie and i see cleaners around clearing the trash..

People do litter, ciggie butts and stuff can get you a fine, minimum $200, but its hardly enforced nowadays. And the corrective work order penalty that seemed to be so effective a decade or so ago, has pretty much been scrapped. I dont know the details, but nobody sees it happening anymore.

But i'm all for limiting the cars speed to 115km/h, thats a pretty good idea, but of course its not going to sit to well with the general public. People generally dont like to have any amount of limitations put on them. And unless the whole limiter thing is going to be sponsored, nobody will voluntarily go for it.

Once again, making it compulsory for cars to be limited otherwise face a huge fine or something would be cool. Taking cars away is too drastic i reckon, thats akin to a minimum 10 grand fine, kinda harsh don't you think?

Yer I confess to not having been to Singapore for a long long time. A decade or two ago it was very very clean but the rules were well enforced back then.

Perhaps discounted or government subsidised insurance premiums for those cars with speed limiters? Cheaper registration (remove some TAC levy)? Insurance companies could work it into risk assessment...less chance of the car being involved in a high speed crash if it can't do over 115km/h.

Well taking away the cars is harsh...true...but then who in their right mind would attempt it with such a penalty? So many of these people care more about their cars than their own lives...present them with the danger of getting killed and they'll ignore it...threaten to take away their pride and joy...find me someone who'll break that law! And like I said it's not an easy slip up...it's a very deliberate breaking of the law to tamper with the electronics of it. I'm against stupid stuff like crushing hoon cars because it's a waste of a good thing and it's akin to stomping on a kids sand castle because you don't like what he/she did. I'm all for taking them off the people though and selling them to someone more responsible...that way nothing goes to waste.

Birds - You make alot of assumptions. I still say the idea of speed limiting cars is silly, it wont help. I will knock the idea if I disagree with it. If you don't like my opinion then it doesn't bother me at all. I didn't say that it's possible to change every driver's attitude... I said the reason things like this accident happen is due to the driver's actions, not the car. No matter how hard you educate people, no matter how many controls you put in place, there is always going to be people who choose to ignore the rules.. it's called choice, and it's something every person has.

Hey I'm on your side as far as the driver's attitude being responsible goes, but atleast the people coming up with car related ideas are coming up with possible solutions rather than the apathy of just saying it's the guy behind the wheel. We know it's the guy behind the wheel, that's why he's not alive anymore :)

driver training making young blokes overconfident!? young blokes are overconfident anyway! I used to drive like a maniac with his hair on fire, I did my own car control lessons without the benefit of an instructor and in places I shouldn't have... I would have been much better off learning in a controlled environment, with some lessons on attitude to go along with it

I was very lucky I never had an accident but lets face it, young people are going to crash into stuff from time to time... its about harm minimization

I still can't believe how many people drink and drive, too many selfish and stupid people out there

i do think that an XR6 is too powerful for a p plater.... its not the CAUSE of the accident, but it sure doesn't help...

my first car was a jd camira, and even that thing got me in a few sticky situations... if i had my current road car on my p's i doubt i'd be here today.

at 18 you are still a child, and as such will do childish things.

banning commodore's et all from p platers would not only have them in slower cars, but would also help keep them out of "commodore culture" and i do beleive that causes a LOT of accidents :banana:

and on the littering thing... fuck singapore.... have a look at munich... there is no litter, and pretty much NO BINS.... the people just actually give a shit and take thier rubbish home!

Though I drive sensibly nowadays, the dumbest shit I have ever done while driving would have to be when I was on my red p's driving my 1986 1.6L corolla hatchback, it would either be

a) high speed offroading at my mates farm on the race track we made, including jumps at about 90kmph (yes I did get a bit airborne)

b) seeing 200kmph on the speedo with a bit of a tail wind

I think that most young drivers will inevitably do something reckless in their car no matter what they drive, yet we are taught nothing about what to do in emergency situations nor anything about a cars handling characteristics. Its pretty much assumed by the idealistic system currently in place that: no normal person would ever even think to speed; if you do not speed you will never be in an emergency situation. ever; if you happen to speed even 5kms over the limit your car suddenly becomes a lethal killing machine and it is a miracle if you do not kill yourself and everyone around you.