SAU Community

Plumb Back Bov

Where is the best most efficient place to plumb back your bov.

into the front of the turbo or into the exhaust manifold before the turbo?

i cant find many people that have plumbed it back into the exhaust manifold, is there a reason for this?

Where is the best most efficient place to plumb back your bov.

into the front of the turbo or into the exhaust manifold before the turbo?

i cant find many people that have plumbed it back into the exhaust manifold, is there a reason for this?

Before the turbo, but after the Air Flow Meter (AFM) or what ever meters the air on the intake side

(in my case, its the map sensor in my Megasquirt, connected to the intake manifold)

Nigel

post-13098-1263973458_thumb.jpg

what looks like when it is plumbed into the manifold is the external wastegate. very similar in design and operation

the outlet of the BOV needs to vent to an un-pressureised section of the piping, if it is venting to a boosted pipe, it aint gonna do too much at all....

How noddle has his is ideal.

Radiator hose is good for connecting to the outlet of the bov too...

BTW noddle, those hose clamps look tough as... where did you source them from? and what DIA pipe are you useing?

i just orded a stack of 2.5 inch, hope its not TOO big

Edited by MAG86

external wastegate is plumbed in after the turbo into the exhuasts dump pipe.

what im suggesting is that the vented air from the bov is pushed into the ex manifold so the turbo gets a thrust of air to keep the turbo spooling between changes.

maybe im looking too much into it..

what happens if you plumb it back before the afm?

my afm is in my cooler piping after the cooler and before the tb?

i was gonna plumb the bov from between the tb and the afm and throw the air into the front of the turbo.

i think that if an extra puff of air went past the AFM off throttle it would lean out to buggery.

i think do it AFTER the afm... and yes close to the turbine to help keep it spinning

BUT if its a big 'dose' of air it may go back through the afm anyway.... good point you have there...

Plumbing the BOV into the exhaust manifold IN theory could result in a minor antilag effect, but could(and probably would) cause backfiring due to unburnt gasses receiving a shot of oxygen. the shockwaves inside the manifold would likely sheer the exhaust wheel after a while.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but it could be something to have a play with on a throw away engine...dont use your pride and joy.

cheers

Jason

what happens if you plumb it back before the afm?

my afm is in my cooler piping after the cooler and before the tb?

i was gonna plumb the bov from between the tb and the afm and throw the air into the front of the turbo.

if I read this right, air filter to intake pipe to turbo to cooler (inter-cooler I assume) to afm to pipe to throttle body

If you put the BOV before the afm and vent it to atmosphere it wouldn't upset anything

"i was gonna plumb the bov from between the tb and the afm and throw the air into the front of the turbo."

if you put it after the afm back to the intake of the turbo or vent it, you WILL have issues with metered air (rich)

my suggestion, move the afm before the turbo, have the bov in front of the throttle, back to turbo intake after the afm (between afm and turbo)

draw a picture of it, you will see what I'm saying

Nigel

Edited by noddle

i dont fully understand the afm bit, if it gets more air wont it just read it as more air?

its just air.

the more air the afm see, the more fuel it will injected into the engine, ( it only see the air going through it, it has no idea that you have plumbed it into anywhere)

here's a picture, the one with the cross will work, but it will run rich when the BOV opens

Nigel

post-13098-1264055272_thumb.jpg

the first diagram is what my mate had with his RB30et we built a few years back. moving the afm to AFTER the cooler was the best thing we did...

and nigel... hose clamp details mate! (your bits are getting packaged over the weekend)

Nubco nubco.com.au

looks like they are only a Tassie Firm, how about that, most of the time it a mainland firm that doesn't have a outlet in Tassie..

but I have seen these types off clamps on the net though

the pipe size is,

Pod to inlet to turbo is 3 inch, turbo to intercooler to throttle body is 2.5 inch, turbo exhaust is 3 inch, no cat, muffler at the end just before it comes out the back

Nigel

post-13098-1264071369_thumb.jpg

post-13098-1264071386_thumb.jpg

post-13098-1264071400_thumb.jpg

post-13098-1264071416_thumb.jpg

post-13098-1264071433_thumb.jpg

Edited by noddle