SAU Community

The Dreaded Factory Wing Mirror Rust

kidafa

Don't have $200? I've seen many stag owners have this kind of coin to throw around. All Type Crash told me today they can easily cut up and reweld a plate in place of any rust infection around the stagea mirrors. Or get another door from JIS for $200-$250.

Just picked up my Stagea from ATC today and no more cancer of the passenger door. Repairs to my sideswipe damage looks top notch too. :thumbsup:

Timing is great Ruby, my rust is just starting to show on the passenger side :( You still have a black stag, yes? I wonder if ATC can repair pear white... I shall call them Monday. Got to get on top of this surface rust before I have big problems, like the old bluebird...

Don't have $200? I've seen many stag owners have this kind of coin to throw around. All Type Crash told me today they can easily cut up and reweld a plate in place of any rust infection around the stagea mirrors. Or get another door from JIS for $200-$250

I dont see how a crash shop will do rust removal with welding in new plates and re painting to sides for $200. If so id like to see the quality of the work. 1/3 of the side will need to be resprayed to blend it properly.

And no I dont have $200 to throw around..... Instead I purchased ganador mirrors for $400 and got them painted for $100 and then I get the enjoyment and satisfaction of removing the rust myself :-)

Ah I was wondering what lurked beneath the wing mirrors & how to get there. Mine needs sorting out, I've halted what I can see with fish oil to buy some time but suspect the oil hasn't reached in far enough. No end to time spent in the shed on this baby.

• 4 months later...

+1 for everything kidafa has said.

While changing my mirrors today I thought I'd got off lightly. I started with the passenger side and apart for some light rust that I hit with converter I was happy, then i did the drivers side and found quite a bit more, far deeper and wide spread. None of this was visible with the mirrors fitted and the only upside is that I hadn't waited till was visible or it would be much harder to fix.

CHECK YOUR MIRRORS FOR RUST PEOPLE!!

Once I removed all the loose stuff, got some foam sticks, (paint brush handles with a block of foam rubber on the end instead of the usual bristles ~ Bunnings El cheapo) & treated the inside with the same chemical steps as the outside. The foam pads can be formed to fit the inside contours of the door with your finger, messy on fingers but effective on inner unreachable door skin.

I like that idea was wondering how I was gonna get in there

Last thing I did was get into the bottom of the doors & brush out/vacuum all the loose crap out that had shed from the mirror area over time & with my activities. There was quite a bit to suck out. Rust flakes, lots.

Is this necessary? Will all the flaky bits that have fallen in the door start more rust?

Looks like it'd be a PITA to get a vac in there!

Is this necessary? Will all the flaky bits that have fallen in the door start more rust?

Looks like it'd be a PITA to get a vac in there!

Yes - the crap can block the drain holes causing the bottom of the door to rust. Check the accessories that came with your vacuum cleaner - there is often some kind of wand for hard to reach places.

• Like 1