SAU Community

Gtr Intercooler Differences

Missile

Recently purchased a GTR cooler for a project car. I was initially purchasing it for test fitting, however after a little research, and then actually seeing the condition of the cooler, I have decided that I may actually use it.

What I want to know is how can I tell what model GTR it came from? The owner honestly had no idea what model it was from - and I wasn't complaining with the price it was purchased for.

I am assuming that the R34GTR cooler will be 'better' than the R32.

Cheers,

Tim

R32, R33 and R34 GTR intercoolers are very similar, if not the same.

R32 and R33 GTR intercoolers are the same.

R34 has a temp sensor on it, but size wise I think is the same.

GTR FMIC's are all good for 300+ kW's.

The intercooler core should be 60mm's thick, if so then it's from a R32 or R33, (R34?) GTR

R32 and R33 GTR intercoolers are painted black and the R34 GTR intercoolers are non painted.

Cheers,

No sign of a bung or similar for a temp sensor, and it is painted black (looks factory) so it will be R32/R33. Picture of the cooler below.

6823680272_medium.jpg

It has a "Calsonic Racing" sticker (part number) near the top right hand corner - no idea if this is coincidental/suppose to be there?

Cheers,

No sign of a bung or similar for a temp sensor, and it is painted black (looks factory) so it will be R32/R33. Picture of the cooler below.

6823680272_medium.jpg

It has a "Calsonic Racing" sticker (part number) near the top right hand corner - no idea if this is coincidental/suppose to be there?

Yeah that looks the same like my intercooler.

I recognise the mounting positions, cuz I took my front bar off to paint strip my FMIC back to bear metal.

"Calsonic Racing" make parts for GTR's, my radiator has a "Calsonic Racing" sticker on it as well and a number.

Nissan might have got "Calsonic Racing" to make the intercooler, but I did not notice any sticker on mine, but it does not really matter.

Yeah, looks factory from the paint and either way it is a GTR intercooler and does a top job.

What project car you building?

What project car you building?

Actually converting a 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer coupe to awd. Then using the engine/running gear etc. from an Evo 3.

Limited space behind a front bumper and the curved end tanks lead me to the GTR cooler. I originally got my hands on a JustJap (or JJ styled) 100mm thick core I/C, but there was no way that it was going to fit behind there!

Actually converting a 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer coupe to awd. Then using the engine/running gear etc. from an Evo 3.

Limited space behind a front bumper and the curved end tanks lead me to the GTR cooler. I originally got my hands on a JustJap (or JJ styled) 100mm thick core I/C, but there was no way that it was going to fit behind there!

Damn!

A turbo Lancer GLi Coupe!

The car is so light (I have a Lancer coup too, 2001 model) + the performance and AWD, that would be so fun.

100mm is very thick, that's the size of a TRUST Drag intercooler.

Could you have used an EVO FMIC?

But yes I can see the GTR FMIC curves and would probably fit nicely behind the front bar...

How do you convert a FWD to AWD?

Modify the FWD system with a Drivesharft to the rear diff?

In a nutshell, remove the entire rear floor pan and replace with the awd one (the standard lancer boot floor isnt raised to accommodate the rear diff.

Other than that the only 'structural' items are:

- welding in the rear diff support hanger bracket (runs in-between the chassis rails and is what the rear diff hanger bolts up to).

- welding some captive nuts in to the chassis rail for the rear crossmember (the standard lancer has blanks where these are to be welded in)

Everything from there on in is 100% bolt up! Then finally get the tail shaft shortened by 51mm and off you drive with some turbo awd goodness :(

GTR coolers will do 350rwkw.

I would be surprised if your little 4G will reach the limits of a GTR core :)

We'll see how far we can take the little 4g! After speaking with a couple of GTR lads locally; one whom is putting down just under and the other just over 600hp at the treads, I was more than happy to give one a try. These days people are all too eager to "upgrade" some of their OEM parts with china-spec of unproved parts - even when these factory parts are more than capable :(

In a nutshell, remove the entire rear floor pan and replace with the awd one (the standard lancer boot floor isnt raised to accommodate the rear diff.

Other than that the only 'structural' items are:

- welding in the rear diff support hanger bracket (runs in-between the chassis rails and is what the rear diff hanger bolts up to).

- welding some captive nuts in to the chassis rail for the rear crossmember (the standard lancer has blanks where these are to be welded in)

Everything from there on in is 100% bolt up! Then finally get the tail shaft shortened by 51mm and off you drive with some turbo awd goodness :(

I see,

Post pics when done!

Hehe!

R34 GTR coolers have, will do, 380rwkw easily enough. So a good upgrade for a GTS-T, no doubt.

However - the issue stands as this. For upto 300rwkw, your typical Just Jap and similar cores are a wiser choice for the following...

They come in kit form, with all the piping and so on. Im pretty sure there is a non-reo cutting return-flow style one (someone will know the maker)

By the time you pay for the GTR core, then custom piping, it's getting rather expensive for 280-300rwkw when there is a off-shelf product for half the price.

If you have a standard motor, 260-280rwkw - cost vs the gains i reckon the JJR (and similar) replacement/return flow stuff is really good value these days.

Anything more than 300rwkw then yes, i would say go down that route with a R34 core.