SAU Community

Background Info

I have been researching this topic for a while, and in ALL the other threads I have read, people keep saying "JUST BUY A N/A SR20 ITS HAYPS EASIER YEA"

This is not the answer I am looking for.

Situatiion

I have an SR20DET out of an S15, I want convert it to SR20DE.

What I need to know

What is involved in this process exactly and what do I need.

I know I will need:

- Extractors Or standard N/A Exhaust manifold

- Standard intake piping

- N/A Injectors

- N/A ECU

- High Compression Pistons

Is that all I need to change?

Will the N/A ECU (Out of S14) plug straight in?

Can I put a set of pistons from SR20DE (Probably S13 SR20DE) in?

Or do I have to get an SR22DE High compression kit from Tomei and get it all rebored and that?

Again please, like I said, Do not tell me its easier to put an SR20DE engine in, or buy an Autech S15 or something, thats not what I'm looking for. I am very curious to know what is necessary to do the conversion.

It may seem stupid to some, but P plate laws are a bitch.

Cheers

i don't know how thick all the p platers are these days.. but even if you did the conversion.. it would run like shit but the biggest point

the car still isnt p plater friendly.. it started off turbo and is there for void..

Edited by .:: GimpS-R34 ::.

i don't know how thick all the p platers are these days.. but even if you did the conversion.. it would run like shit but the biggest point

the car still isnt p plater friendly.. it started off turbo and is there for void..

mate, i called Queensland transport, I called them today, and they said it is legal, as long as the turbo is removed.

And if I did do the SR22 work, it would run well, and there is no way to tell that it is 2.2L

So unless you know anything about what else is required to convert to non turbo, you can keep your 2cents.

not only will you need the pistons, but you will want to get the cams as well as they are different/better on the NA. if you have a 3" exhaust system, you will also want to go back to a smaller size for 2 reasons. 1: 3" is way to big for a NA 2.0L and you may lose power. 2: 3" on a NA 2.0L will be loud as hell. i have a SSS pulsar with a 2" system and with only 1 muffler it was as loud as hell. with 2 mufflers it's not too bad. but a 3" system even with 2 mufflers would be asking to be bent over as the cops will hear you coming from a mile away.

also, your car will still be registered as a turbo if it was turbo from factory, so there is a good chance you will still get bent over and fisted by the long arm of the law (reguardless of what the dept of transport tell you as half of them don't know what the hell they are on about).

also price wise, getting a complete engine is going to be much cheaper and much easier, and more than likely perform better. you would be better off selling the engine you have and buying a complete engine, reguardless of what your reasons are for wanting to convert the s15 engine. it isn't what you wanted to hear, but each time i go and check my lotto tickets they don't tell me what i want to hear either. sometimes you just gotta accept the facts.

not only will you need the pistons, but you will want to get the cams as well as they are different/better on the NA. if you have a 3" exhaust system, you will also want to go back to a smaller size for 2 reasons. 1: 3" is way to big for a NA 2.0L and you may lose power. 2: 3" on a NA 2.0L will be loud as hell. i have a SSS pulsar with a 2" system and with only 1 muffler it was as loud as hell. with 2 mufflers it's not too bad. but a 3" system even with 2 mufflers would be asking to be bent over as the cops will hear you coming from a mile away.

also, your car will still be registered as a turbo if it was turbo from factory, so there is a good chance you will still get bent over and fisted by the long arm of the law (reguardless of what the dept of transport tell you as half of them don't know what the hell they are on about).

also price wise, getting a complete engine is going to be much cheaper and much easier, and more than likely perform better. you would be better off selling the engine you have and buying a complete engine, reguardless of what your reasons are for wanting to convert the s15 engine. it isn't what you wanted to hear, but each time i go and check my lotto tickets they don't tell me what i want to hear either. sometimes you just gotta accept the facts.

Thank you for your input, it actually has logic behind it.

Exhaust and all is stock, so that should be fine.

I just think that an S15 SR20 will be more reliable that an older SR20.

Money wise isn't such a big problem, I am willing to fork out 3-4grand.

Mate it aint gonna matter how new your engine is your gonna be hard pressed to blow up an NA SR. I have done it once and I really had to be a cnut with it. (We were converting SR for a RB)

Get yourself an N14 SR. Save your coin for when you can drive a turbo. In other words, do it once, do it right!!!

Mate it aint gonna matter how new your engine is your gonna be hard pressed to blow up an NA SR. I have done it once and I really had to be a cnut with it. (We were converting SR for a RB)

Get yourself an N14 SR. Save your coin for when you can drive a turbo. In other words, do it once, do it right!!!

Ye sounds like a good idea. You have successfully convinced me out of doing the conversion.

I can get good coin for my engine as is, but should I sell the entire setup?

IE.

- Engine

- Gearbox

- Wiring Loom

- Tailshaft

Or should I keep everything and just drop an S14 SR20DE in there? Will the loom fit? The gearbox will bolt straight on im pretty sure.

Thank you for your input, it actually has logic behind it.

Exhaust and all is stock, so that should be fine.

I just think that an S15 SR20 will be more reliable that an older SR20.

Money wise isn't such a big problem, I am willing to fork out 3-4grand.

if you are going to spend that amount of money, get an older NA sr20 and do it up. that way you will have a good engine and be putting out more power than a basic s15 NA. the s15 NA's only put out about 3kw more than an s14 and 11kw more than an s13.

get a s14 NA and get a set of tomei poncams (or get the stock cams ground to autech specs), and a nistune, and if you really feel like it you could shave the head on it. but just with the cams and the nistune you should be seeing up around 110kw at the wheels, maybe a touch more, and have something that is very drivable and reliable. that should set you back roughly 2.5k including buying the engine.

if you are only going to keep it while you are on your p's then reliability isn't going to be that much of an issue, as any issue you have is more than likely going to be from abusive driving and could happen to the s15 motor or the older one. how much of the history of the s15 do you know? just because it is a newer motor doesn't mean that it might not have had the crap flogged out of it.

another thing to try would be to try and find a NA sr20VE from a pulsar bluebird or whatever they came out of. sure they are a fwd motor but shouldn't take much to put into a rwd car (pretty sure the bellhousing is the same) and then you will really make some power. not hard to get 150kw out of those bad boys.

if you are going to spend that amount of money, get an older NA sr20 and do it up. that way you will have a good engine and be putting out more power than a basic s15 NA. the s15 NA's only put out about 3kw more than an s14 and 11kw more than an s13.

get a s14 NA and get a set of tomei poncams (or get the stock cams ground to autech specs), and a nistune, and if you really feel like it you could shave the head on it. but just with the cams and the nistune you should be seeing up around 110kw at the wheels, maybe a touch more, and have something that is very drivable and reliable. that should set you back roughly 2.5k including buying the engine.

if you are only going to keep it while you are on your p's then reliability isn't going to be that much of an issue, as any issue you have is more than likely going to be from abusive driving and could happen to the s15 motor or the older one. how much of the history of the s15 do you know? just because it is a newer motor doesn't mean that it might not have had the crap flogged out of it.

another thing to try would be to try and find a NA sr20VE from a pulsar bluebird or whatever they came out of. sure they are a fwd motor but shouldn't take much to put into a rwd car (pretty sure the bellhousing is the same) and then you will really make some power. not hard to get 150kw out of those bad boys.

Thanks alot for the reply.

The S15 has 65000kms on it, drives well, everything is stock, has a front mount but thats it.

I think an S14 SR20DE is probably going to be my decision. What is nistune? I have never heard of it sorry, what does it do? and how much is it?

I can get an S14 SR20DE Engine for $1000.

Also is it better to get the VCT model or Non VCT? I hear you can take the VCT out anyway?

I have been researching this topic for a while, and in ALL the other threads I have read, people keep saying "JUST BUY A N/A SR20 ITS HAYPS EASIER YEA"

This is not the answer I am looking for.

The right answer won't necessarily be the one you're looking for, but unfortunately its still the right answer.

Are you related to this guy by any chance? I seems the pair of you have the same mentality, with him just being a bit further along.

If you're willing to drop $3-4K onto your conversion I don't understand why you're so opposed to selling your motor and dropping an Autech motor in. It's age will be about the same as your S15 engine, and unless you find one that's been babied from a previous owner chances are your FI engine will have had a much harder life than a NA one.

If you're cracking the motor to do internals, unless you're putting in very special hardware (over and above the ones in the Autech S15, let alone OEM S14 bits) or doing the work yourself, it's going to cost you a fortune to get sweet FA power out of it.

And if you're so concerned about complying with P plate laws, why wouldn't you just buy a NA car in the first place? I say just leave it turbo.

Also, as for asking the Dept of Transport, I know this issue is a different state but bureacracies are the same everywhere. Clueless.

The right answer won't necessarily be the one you're looking for, but unfortunately its still the right answer.

Are you related to this guy by any chance? I seems the pair of you have the same mentality, with him just being a bit further along.

If you're willing to drop $3-4K onto your conversion I don't understand why you're so opposed to selling your motor and dropping an Autech motor in. It's age will be about the same as your S15 engine, and unless you find one that's been babied from a previous owner chances are your FI engine will have had a much harder life than a NA one.

If you're cracking the motor to do internals, unless you're putting in very special hardware (over and above the ones in the Autech S15, let alone OEM S14 bits) or doing the work yourself, it's going to cost you a fortune to get sweet FA power out of it.

And if you're so concerned about complying with P plate laws, why wouldn't you just buy a NA car in the first place? I say just leave it turbo.

Also, as for asking the Dept of Transport, I know this issue is a different state but bureacracies are the same everywhere. Clueless.

Car was a gift, I absolutely love the S15, and that be the reason i want to keep it. If you read my otherposts, you will see that I have decided not to do a non turbo conversion, instead purchase an S14SR20DE do some mild engine work and chuck it in.

I can buy a N/A S13 easy, but the S15 is my dream car, and I finally have it now. Not going to let go of it.

And no I am not related to that guy, he just unbolted the turbo and drove it like that, which was absolutely stupid. I was planning to completely rebuild the engine with SR22 Kit from tomei, that has high compression pistons and will have more grunt.

Anyone with half a brain knows that pulling a turbo off a motor that was BUILT for a turbo, then trying to drive it, is not going to go well.

Thanks alot for the reply.

The S15 has 65000kms on it, drives well, everything is stock, has a front mount but thats it.

I think an S14 SR20DE is probably going to be my decision. What is nistune? I have never heard of it sorry, what does it do? and how much is it?

I can get an S14 SR20DE Engine for $1000.

Also is it better to get the VCT model or Non VCT? I hear you can take the VCT out anyway?

nistune is an ecu system that uses the stock ecu with the addition of a different board. this is pretty much the cheapest option as far as full replacement ecu's go and in my opinion for mild setups is the best option as it gives the drivability of a stock ecu but has been tuned to give you maximum performance, and if the police ever decide to look at the ecu to make sure it hasn't been changed, they won't be able to tell the difference.

as for cams, wait until you get the engine before you start sussing out what ones you need.

nistune is an ecu system that uses the stock ecu with the addition of a different board. this is pretty much the cheapest option as far as full replacement ecu's go and in my opinion for mild setups is the best option as it gives the drivability of a stock ecu but has been tuned to give you maximum performance, and if the police ever decide to look at the ecu to make sure it hasn't been changed, they won't be able to tell the difference.

as for cams, wait until you get the engine before you start sussing out what ones you need.

Alright, sounds like a good idea. Thanks again for the info man, really helped, and it makes sense :P

Will be in touch with you when I get my new engine.

Car was a gift, I absolutely love the S15, and that be the reason i want to keep it. If you read my otherposts, you will see that I have decided not to do a non turbo conversion, instead purchase an S14SR20DE do some mild engine work and chuck it in.

Dumhedz used to have an S13 that was powered by an S14 SR20DE. With all the bolt-ons and a set of cams, he was making around 120rwkW (which is stock S15 DET power). That wouldn't be too shabby. Mind you, the car was loud as f**k so you'd still get reamed as a P plater if the car was tuned that way.

You could probably pop a stock-looking heat shield onto a set of extractors and connect it into the OEM cat and exhaust. Good extractors make the biggest difference to performance on a NA car.

Apparently the Autech S15 runs the same ratios as the turbo gearboxes, so if you replace the final drive with something a bit shorter you might find it quick enough.

Personally if I were in your position and had the cash, I'd keep the DET and leave it in storage. Once I got off my P's, I'd stick the stock motor back in. NA is nice and all, but turbo Silvias are still cooler.

Dumhedz used to have an S13 that was powered by an S14 SR20DE. With all the bolt-ons and a set of cams, he was making around 120rwkW (which is stock S15 DET power). That wouldn't be too shabby. Mind you, the car was loud as f**k so you'd still get reamed as a P plater if the car was tuned that way.

You could probably pop a stock-looking heat shield onto a set of extractors and connect it into the OEM cat and exhaust. Good extractors make the biggest difference to performance on a NA car.

Apparently the Autech S15 runs the same ratios as the turbo gearboxes, so if you replace the final drive with something a bit shorter you might find it quick enough.

Personally if I were in your position and had the cash, I'd keep the DET and leave it in storage. Once I got off my P's, I'd stick the stock motor back in. NA is nice and all, but turbo Silvias are still cooler.

ye that is true, S15 SR20DET Stock make 147kw, which would be great for me really. But yea what "bolt ons" did he do? I don't mind spending on easy stuff.

Mad089 said I should get a nistune chip, which I am going to do first + set of cams, and get it all tuned, will make some good power :P