SAU Community

R32: Changing Gearbox Oil

Genesis®

Catkicker. There is a textbook amount. On the ugly poo gtr/gtr33/gtst33 the amount is about 3.8L. But you can never get it all out.

I normally get in 3.5-3.6L. That's why you just fill it till it comes out when the car's level. If you tried to put in 3.8L, it would all just pour out the side filler hole.

On the r ugly poo gtst, i believe the amount is about 2ish litres. Just fill it till it comes out then bung it.

Yeah, 3.8L will be heaps for the r32. You should have a fair bit left over for top ups/doing a mini change later or something.

For the r33s, 3.8 is touch and go. I have used almost 4 L once, but that was a dry fill (box dissasembled).

PS: have you looked at the redline website - shockproof is not recommended for boxes with synchros. Just thought i'd tip ya on that

Edited by MANWHORE

Yeah I have heard that but a lot of people use it and rave about it. However then there are 2 sides to every story and others have used it and blown gearboxes.

From what I have read, it is excellent if your box is getting tired (ha ha) but I am not sure if there is something more suitable. I am starting to get occasional crunching in 1st and 2nd so figure there is no harm in trying it... Can anyone reccomend anything better?

You are spot on about two sides of the story.

Yes, it does give superb feel. Automatic transmission fluid also gives great feel too, but isn't good for your box either.

I personally haven't used shockproof in my car. One of my friends is using it, and it made a huge difference in feel (then again, even putting cooking oil would have because the oil had probably never been changed since factory. It was almost like mud).

I personally use and stand by motul gear 300. It's fully synthetic and it's about the same price as shockproof. About $30 a litre.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just one thing i feel like adding to this, is if youre like me, and have had to work on an R32 that is (illegally) low, so low you cant even get your arm under it.... then there is another way to get the oil in, other than the filler bung.

We ended up jacking one side of the car up a little, so you could JUST get your fingers on the filler bung (to put it back in), and since the box had just been out, the shifter wasnt installed. We then proceeded to fill the box, using a funnel made of an old 2.25 sprite bottle, through the shifter hole, untill it started to dribble out of the filler hole. When that happened, we all poo'd our pants and my mate jammed his arm up under the car to put the bung back in place.

Of course, car was too low to tighten it up like that, so we had to jack the whole car up enough to get under and tighten bung back up. Put shifter back on, and tell kid to come pick his stupid car up and get it out of our sights.

That, is my life story.

• 2 years later...

Did mine today. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. From my experience here are a few tips

If you are having issues with getting the drain plug undone, leverage is key.

If you have access to a hoist, run some flush through the box then drain that as it gets rid of excess oil to allow for your new clean oil

I used a pressure spray bottle 2L and it pretty much did all the pumping work itself, I took the one I brought from SCA back as it broke within 30seconds...

Also, if you for some reason cannot get your fill plug out, it may be easier to fill it through the reversing switch. I wouldn't recommend it but is a last resort kind of thing.

Now to go make a CAI and light up skyline sign :)