SAU Community

Converting R32 Gtr Diff To Fit In Gts-t

bobba

Hey guys,

After a bit of advice... I want to put an R32 GTR diff into my GTS-t. I looked at changing the whole cradle but don't want to do all that, and have the wheels poking out the guards!

I've heard the front yoke can be interchanged with the GTS-t diff, but what about the side stubs?

I *think* there are a different number of splines between the two.

I know the connection to the half shafts is different.

I have a whole GTR rear cradle to play with.

My questions are:

Can custom ones be made?

Can I cut and weld them to make what I want?

The half shafts from the GTR are longer - can they be shortened and put in?

Is there an easier way to do this? Any other advice?

I have no faith in the GTS-t diff, I've been through two and from what I've heard the viscous LSD's are shit.

Thanks in advance for any replies. You guys are worth your weight in gold.

Bobby.

You should be able to use your GTSt cradle and bolt in the GTR half shafts and the GTR Hubs - The extra length of the half shaft apparently isn't an issue.

Nathan from "O2 Autosports" has done this very thing to his GTSt Drift car, so if you need more specific answers, give him a call (02 4423 0977). I'm sure he'll be keen to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the advice - I gave Nathan a call, he was a top bloke, gave me lots of advice. I'm going to give it a go this Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks very much for the advice - I gave Nathan a call, he was a top bloke, gave me lots of advice. I'm going to give it a go this Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes!

i had this done just last week all up was bout 6 hours labour diff out,diff in, there is a few threads of memory that tell you what needs to be done, depending on whether you have coilover suspension or not you may need to take the suspension mounts of the gts-t cradle and use them on the gtr

All done! Was a bit more work than we realised but it sorted itself out in the end.

A few things we noticed:

The GTR hubs have the handbrake crap on them, while the GTS-t ones didn't. So we had to use the GTR surround thingys (the things that the hubs bolt into)... meaning we had to use GTR struts (different bottom end) and lower control arms (bigger ball joint mount thingys)

We also had to change the back cover of the diff from the GTS-t one, because they have four holes that are closer together than the GTR's two.

I still have no definitive answer as to whether changing the diff yokes means bearing preload etc, but when we did the GTS-t yoke up onto the GTR diff it got tight. So we just didn't do it up as much and all seems fine.

The GTR diff is a bloody marvel. I'll never bother with the useless viscous LSD's, there is just no comparison!

We changed the cradle bushes at the same time, and getting the old ones out was the biggest prick of a job ever. We ended up using an oxy torch to light them on fire. It WAS worth it in the end - the rear end feels 100 times better. I just need to do the control arm ones now, to get rid of the stupid axle tramp going round left corners!

Thanks again for everyone's help and input, and hopefully others can benefit from the outcome!

Bobby.

• 14 years later...

would i be able to swap r34 GTR hubs onto my GT needing it for the difference in spline count as gt is 29spline and i need 32spline