SAU Community

New To Motorsport

Right I am in my last year of school and next year I plan to start a track car. My friend is into track days and he is constantly telling me to buy a track car. I don't want to do this for many reasons. One of which is that I believe that you cant have the attachment to the car if you buy it and you dont know what you are doing.

So what are some tips on what cars to get. What is better, a car with an engine and gearbox or just a shell. My budget is what i make during the year which will not be much but i plan to make this an ongoing build. I would manly do track days then try to get into the Targa Tasmania.

Another point is how much mechanical sense is needed before doing a build. I know engines a bit, but i can learn very quickly when working with them.

you are best of buying a cheap track car to begin with and fixing it up...have a look at some of the race car build threads and you will get an understanding of how much effort not to mention money goes in to the real good ones...mine is as budget as they come and and the dollars spend is well into 5 figures and its not even close to being finished let alone competetive.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 10 cents worth you are best off buying a simple, finished track car & learning how to drive it.

There is alot to learn. I mean alot.

Whilst it may seem to be fun to build something you need to keep in mind you are going to be pushing it hard & therefore it is not something you necessarilly want to learn about spannering on.

Anyway finished/running cars are very good value compared with most things you can build yourself.

you're best off using whatever car you already have when starting out. no sense buying a track car before you've even started. run in what you have, and spend your money on doing as many different types of events as you can, as often as you can. You'll learn heaps. you don't have to spend much on mods or have a track car to do track days.

• 1 month later...

or you could check out trackattack.com.au/excel if you live in qld. just happened to find out about this today and we're going to get into it as well because it would have to be the cheapest form of motorsport i've seen, and i know its only an excel but i think it'd still be fun. cheap thrills lol. the regulations seem slightly strict but its basically just a good way to start out in time attack/circuit racing.

I did my first track day in my normal, road rego daily driver that was fairly standard!

just get out there and give it a go and get a feel what events you want to do

its an expensive hobby....

• 1 year later...

I have to agree with evil my first track day i did with a Mitsubishi mirage with some run of the mill 15" aftermarket rims and some street tires i drove to the track removed EVERYTHING that was not bolted down including most of the stereo passenger seat and rear seat stuck some numbers on the doors and had a blast i then worried about a track car and am now looking at another one i can tell you now unless you strive to be a backyard mechanic or have some good friends that are mechanics it gets very expensive very fast but can be worth the time, bloodshed (from skinned knuckles) and money. IF you enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

So if one has a car that's suitable for having some fun around a race track, then what does one need to do? Do I need a CAMS licence? and who do I see/talk to first about having a go?

My main concern is that my car (260RS Stagea) has a 8point roll cage that's not engineered. Can I run with this installed or will I have to remove it?

Thanks in advance guys!!

So if one has a car that's suitable for having some fun around a race track, then what does one need to do? Do I need a CAMS licence? and who do I see/talk to first about having a go?

My main concern is that my car (260RS Stagea) has a 8point roll cage that's not engineered. Can I run with this installed or will I have to remove it?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Get an L2S (Level 2 Speed) licence from CAMS. This will allow you to enter club track days.

Each track day has a document called the supplementary regulations. Read these to make sure your car complies. Pretty sure your 8-point cage will be fine, you just need a fire extinguisher that meets the regulations for size, type and the way it is fixed to the car, a compliant helmet, and clothing as per the regs.

EDIT: You also need an additional fastening system for your bonnet. If you don't want to cut your bonnet for bonnet pins, you get get a tie down strap.

Heres an example of the supp regs for the upcoming PIARC weekend:

http://www.piarc.com.au/files/PIARC_SUPERSPRINT_Supp_Regs_oct_2011.pdf

Now choose a track you want to try out. From my limited experience, for Victorians I think the PIARC Phillip Island weekends are the best. The Saturday is devoted to driver training and familiarisation. You will get a first timers briefing to take you over the day, what the flags mean etc. Ask questions if anything is not clear like where do I go when you call my group? They tend to skip over this important detail!

They always have a good number of instructors there for the first timers that will take groups of you around slowly in their cars first before the day gets underway. Then you can get them to drive and instruct you in your car for your sessions. PI is also a very smooth and clean track with lots of space. Find an equivalent day at a good track in your state if not in Vic.

Also make sure your car is up to the task as much as you can. If it pops oil all over the track it won't only ruin your day but everyone else's as they clean up the track.

keep in mind - depending on the event - the head scrutineer may still fail your cage if its a jap bolt in style.

I have heard of it happening but not much.

for an SAU day you'd be fine but if it were for a CAMS event - they are a lot more strict etc

either way - good work on looking to some motorsport!

Get an L2S (Level 2 Speed) licence from CAMS. This will allow you to enter club track days.

Each track day has a document called the supplementary regulations. Read these to make sure your car complies. Pretty sure your 8-point cage will be fine, you just need a fire extinguisher that meets the regulations for size, type and the way it is fixed to the car, a compliant helmet, and clothing as per the regs.

EDIT: You also need an additional fastening system for your bonnet. If you don't want to cut your bonnet for bonnet pins, you get get a tie down strap.

Heres an example of the supp regs for the upcoming PIARC weekend:

http://www.piarc.com.au/files/PIARC_SUPERSPRINT_Supp_Regs_oct_2011.pdf

Now choose a track you want to try out. From my limited experience, for Victorians I think the PIARC Phillip Island weekends are the best. The Saturday is devoted to driver training and familiarisation. You will get a first timers briefing to take you over the day, what the flags mean etc. Ask questions if anything is not clear like where do I go when you call my group? They tend to skip over this important detail!

They always have a good number of instructors there for the first timers that will take groups of you around slowly in their cars first before the day gets underway. Then you can get them to drive and instruct you in your car for your sessions. PI is also a very smooth and clean track with lots of space. Find an equivalent day at a good track in your state if not in Vic.

Also make sure your car is up to the task as much as you can. If it pops oil all over the track it won't only ruin your day but everyone else's as they clean up the track.

keep in mind - depending on the event - the head scrutineer may still fail your cage if its a jap bolt in style.

I have heard of it happening but not much.

for an SAU day you'd be fine but if it were for a CAMS event - they are a lot more strict etc

either way - good work on looking to some motorsport!

Where does this stuff come from? I have never seen a car knocked back with a standard bonnet catch system - they are two stage anyway. Secondly sprint events do not require roll cages and again, I have never seen a non cams compliant cage knocked back. If you dont need one it doesnt matter that it doesnt comply.

Go to the CAMS website for affiliated clubs & events.

Edited by djr81

Where does this stuff come from? I have never seen a car knocked back with a standard bonnet catch system - they are two stage anyway.

Yeah dunno. Just going off what I have seen at the limited number of events I have been to so far. Everyone seems to have an additional tie strap for their bonnets unless they have pins.

I guess most people interpret "two separate fastening systems" as they need to add something.

Yeah dunno. Just going off what I have seen at the limited number of events I have been to so far. Everyone seems to have an additional tie strap for their bonnets unless they have pins.

I guess most people interpret "two separate fastening systems" as they need to add something.

I gather you are talking about this? I looked but cant find a reference anywhere else. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.

G e n e r a l Re q u i r e m e n t s o f A u t o m o b i l e s – S c h e d u l e B

Schedule B

EACH AUTOMOBILE (EXCEPT A SUPERKART) SHALL, OF NECESSITY, IN ANY SPEED EVENT OR RACE BE:

fitted with two separate fasteners on any front-opening panel;

Bonnets have bolts at the back & a catch at the front = two (threee actually) separate fasteners.

I have been running for years with a stock bonnet. No pins, no problems. Same as any number of other people. For what it is worth the only bonnets I have ever seen fly up were secured by pins - that people forgot to put in.

I have been running for years with a stock bonnet. No pins, no problems. Same as any number of other people. For what it is worth the only bonnets I have ever seen fly up were secured by pins - that people forgot to put in.

Agreed. What you are saying makes perfect sense.

So there you go guys - one less thing to worry about.

dhr81 what you are saying is right, but now people interpret that as 2 seperate 'latching' mechanisms not fastenings. as in 2 points of attachment at the front only. technically since all modern cars have a 2 stage bonnet catch they should comply anyway, but people have knocked them back. especially in VIC and NSW. so buying a $20 pre made piece of steel cable with snap end on one end and a shackle on the other and secure the bonnet to the radiator support with it is a good idea. it will save you any possible grief.

as far as the cage goes you'll be fine. as long as the event doesn't require a cage (basically only door to door stuff requires a cage). i've never seen anyone with a jap cage knocked back at an event that does not mandate cages. that includes my own cars, i've had 3 different jap cages in 2 difference GTRs for the last 9 years and never been turned away.