SAU Community

Blown Turbo

bd_89

Hey Guys,

So i was out visiting a friend this w/e and (from what ive read) blew my turbo. I was in 2nd gear at about 4000rpm when there was a pop then a raspy spool and smoke blowing everywhere when i backed off. The car makes no boost and feels like a slug.

I just wanted to get your opinions on if it is a blown turbo or not.

Also the car is at my friends house about 60k's away from where i live and i will be interstate for the next 2 weeks and dont really want to leave parked on the side of the street for that long. I know its a stupid idea and can cause damage but dont really have much choice, would it be ok to drive home shifting gears before the turbo would usually start spooling. How much damage would it be causing?

Thanks

firstly, check if it is infact the turbo thats blown.

the first thing ull need to do is look for anything obvious, like blown off cooler pipes which sound more like ur problem. if you cant find anything like that wrong with it, take the intake pipe off the turbo and see if you can spin it freely, if you can and it feels fine, then try start the motor and see if the turbo spins up, if it does take off the cooler pipe from the turbo and see if its blowing alot of air out when u rev it etc.

have u got a boost gauge? it will help if you do? yet list your other mods, i really think uv popped a cooler pipe off.

FMIC (one of the cooling pro ones that use the factory piping), 3" catback, manual boost controller on 10pounds. Its pouring out blueish smoke from the exhaust when i rev to about 2500rpm and back off and theres a raspy kinda noise from the turbo.

yeah, iv taken note of those items.

it does sound like the turbo might be rooted, but im being optimistic in the hope that you are mistaking fuel for oil with the smoke. i still recommend you try the above before taking the turbo off.

driving it home like that will block your cat etc. your better off putting a pod on the end of your cooler and driving it home with the turbo disconnected all together.. try put the AFM between the cooler pipes while ur at it.. then u can baby it home

personally.... and on the "smarter" side of the planet i would not run the car any longer... if u have a blown turbo have fun rebuilding dont drive it any more ull risk doing more damage... i recently pulled out an engine that had a blown turbo... 1 out of 6 pistons damaged and bores were ok.... u dont want all 6 bores gashed to the shit from shrapnel and chunks missing off ur pistons... get the car to a workshop and tell them to sus it all out for u.. unless u can do the work urself.

simple man... blow it fragments of metal from the wheel etc are sucked into the intake and through the inlet valves into the bore.... compression = air + fuel mixture not air + fuel + metal shards.... metal shards + compression = ur pistions f*ked bored scratched and alot of shrapnel out of ur exhaust lol :)

I think he means: the exhaust turbine is enclosed in cast iron. If the exhaust turbine wheel exploded, it would be thrown out the back of the car, and nothing would get into the engine. (for example)

sounds identical to the horrible noises mine made on sunday, pulled my turbo off tonight found a sheared shaft in the front housing and the wheel in 100 pieces, then found some shards in the inlet pipe so its made its way through my intercooler and into the engine ran out off time to pull the head apart but isnt looking good, hope you have better luck than me, keep us posted