SAU Community

Confirming The 'truth' Of Charges

Any ideas from any members here as to how I can be assured of the fact that vehicles which I import are actually sent from the wharf to a steam cleaning facility and then on to my destination?

* given that it is $120 for freight to steam clean + $140 for steam clean and $140 for freight to compliance - that's $400 to move a car literally 11 klms across town and (supposedly) do an AQIS steam clean.

Any idea on how I can be sure that this has been done? (for those who don't know what I mean by steamcleaning....no, it's not like a suit, where you get it back nice and clean and fresh. car usually turns up no different, but you get a big bill).

Anyone here also with any thoughts on why cars landing in Brisbane rarely seem to need steamcleaning, whereas cars landing in Melbourne do? My first instinct is to suspect that perhaps the owners of the steamcleaning facility have a lurk going with customs brokers or (dare I say it) AQIS personnel...and I say this only because it never seems to happen in Qld.

Thoughts, comments - even to the negative - are welcome!

THOUGHT AND OPINION - NOT BASED ON FACT

the truth with this sort of thing in MY EYES is

a group of people get together

and say

"this is what the rules will be"

but then that group's mate pipes up and says

"awwwww but i wanna be in that as well"

so the group of people get back together with their new buddy and say "ok from now on this is what the rule is gonna be"

and that person get let in on the process for financial gain... under the form of a "contract" that that particualr private enterprise owner muscles in on the government. this doesn't necessarilly apply solely to steam cleaners of imports, it also applies to aircon re-gassers, tyre replacers, glass mirror makers - the whole sha-bang. basically people attain these "contracts" which removes the consumers ability to "shop around" or save money - because they have the "contract" they can charge whatever they want and perform which ever service they "dont" want - because they have that contract which can't be shaken

a good example is the amount of "complied" car without side intrusion bars - only weld spots to make it look like the work's been carried on

if it makes you feel any better - this goes right throughout any government agency where they governing bodies are pushed around by greedy private enterprise, ie...

road maintenance subcontracts which haemmorige taxpayer dollars because they set the rules so that they only work for doubletime

construction companies who violate building laws and regulations set by planning departments but pay off the guy at the top so that it's too late to undo what's been done by the time it's flagged as a problem that there's a block of flats being built in a quaint suburban streets which is subcontracted /again/ to state housing to be utilised as methlabs

etc etc list goes on

the only truth is - it's something u have to do - and there's not much u can do about it unless u bypass it by complying the car in another city then getting it privately transported. which costs even more...

That's a fair sting for towing mate - my main towie here in Melb charges us $99 to pick up from port and then $88 for other runs that are just Metro. And he's not some rough as guts guy who has nfi about what he's towing either.

I can't agree more with you on the steam cleaning process - I've honestly seen some immaculate cars marked as needing to be cleaned and then had cars with grass jammed up in the wheel wells get waived through. I have no problem with needing it done if the car is a quarantine hazard, but the people doing the checking have nil consistency!

I had 5 cars in a row go through last month without needing cleaning. Because one of them had been damp inside in Japan, in the heat on the docks here the mildew was literally 3" high on the seats - apparently this is not an issue for AQIS. Yet a spotless Stagea got pulled in for steam cleaning this week - go figure.

Anyway, with the steam cleaning, the process is this.

Car arrives to Port, once customs have done their thing and released it, your broker or shipping agent books AQIS to inspect. You get charged by Aqis for this inspection.

Aqis go to port and inspect the car - if they deem it is ok, we get the all clear and the car gets picked up and then taken to compliance.

If they decide the car needs to be cleaned, then it must go to a QAP (Quarantine approved premises) and be washed. Quarantine then come out again (you're charged again for this inspection and any subsequent reinspections) to inspect and give it the ok.

You can do your research, speak to various QAP's and see what they charge. You can also go and visit them and see if you like the way they do business. I've heard and seen some appalling things over the years through a few different QAP's and finding the right QAP to use for your car is as important as the right compliance shop. Remember the QAP is merely an approved business for cleaning cars to AQIS standards. It is not a Govt department - they want your business and should provide a service commensurate with their charges.

Hope this helps :/

One other point to mention for cars coming into Brisbane

Kiwi Car Carriers (aka Hoegh Autoliners, represented in Australia by Seaway agencies) sole port of discharge in Oz is Brisbane. Kiwi now have an arrangement with AQIS to clean cars to Australian standards at port in Japan, prior to being loaded on the vessel. Cars coming on Kiwi vessels now have no need to be presented to AQIS for inspection. This may account for why you've not had many/any cars needing steam cleaning coming into Bris.

:/

muchas gracias for that highly informative feedback - very appreciative of the time and effort in that response. i did not know that quarantine facilities (steamcleaners) were something you could 'select'.

All good mate. Since switching, I've not had any car so much as scratched and also interesting to note that I've not had anything stolen off the cars either. Maybe it's a coincidence...