SAU Community

Help! Cefiro A31 Heavy Exhaust Fumes Smell In Car!

RedCef

Hi!

I hope I can some quick help in here!

I have an 1994 Cafiro A31 with an RB20DET swap, except for Exhaust and Air Filter standart. I have, especially now where it is cold, very strong exhaust and fuel smell in the car. My wife is pregnant now and that worries me a lot!

The smell is strongest whe I start the car, gets a little bit less when I drive a while. The smell is there wether the heater is turned on or off, means either Air is venting or not venting, smell stays the same!

Anybody any ideas? Need to get it fixed as soon as possible!! Sorry for the bad english

Thanks!

I will check the seals, but I thought this problem occurs mostly in station wagons??

It`s defenetly not the fuel pump, everything is dry around there and also no smell..... I will check the seals and the exhaust and come back to you guys if the problem still persists..... Of course also if I solved it!

So far thanks for the input!

Does it sound like youve got an exhaust leak? i.e. open the bonnet and listen.

I get this too, just got my car isnt propperly tuned yet and its running a bit rich...

My money's on exhaust leak.

So, I brought the car to a shop, and indeed, the gasket of the exhaust manifold was worn down and cracked. They fixed it. Also they closed a few holes in the trunk.

But I still got a bad, heavy exhaust smell when the engine is cold. It disappears after a few minutes though. My question now would be. Does the new gasket need time to expand to completely seal the manifold?? The guy from the shop couldn`t understand what I was talking about....

Thanks!

But if it would be the O ring of the fuel pump wouldn`t it be fuel smell?? It`s defenetaly exhaust smell.......

I will bring the car one more time to the shop on wednesday, I will let you know if he`ll find out what it is.

Thanks for all the input!

taly