SAU Community

Garrett Or Not To Garrett

Mobies

for you, im thinking hypergear.. you seem rather cost focused, bang for buck. Hypergear sells a good product and gets the results to match.

Have a look at his list, I think he can set you up something 250kw capable for about 1400 or so and bolts back onto your stock position etc.

yeah i just had a look! looks goood ATR45 ill give it a try i think 1400 is is my price rang ..cheers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost more than one motor to cheap (brand name, chineese JJR KKR etc) turbo letting go.... bearings failed and ended up getting pumped through the motor.

Have a look at precision turbo's in the US. Good product, lots of development, ball or plain bearing, billet comp wheels... and around the same price as a KKR.

only 1 person in this thread who said don't get a cheap turbo has used one. everyone else is trying to feel better about spending more than they had to or is passing on heresay.

I'm running a chinese one on an rb30 (only months so far, not years). I had it balanced when I got it, balance was not great as delivered.

And I can replace it 3 times before I get close to the price of a mexican garrett.

The only problem I had (and its a big one) is that the internal wastegate with mine is too small and unuseable...had to buy an external gate.

Hey man

I think you got to do some research wat power do you want etc then try and find some options, garret are very good but pricey. If I were building a high power engine yeah I would spend big $$$. Me on the other hand just wanted something that got me to the limits of the inject and AFM otherwise its big $$$$ to upgrade those with clutch etc. So anyway I bought some from antimatter on this forum think about $800 each garret wheels and generic housing. they make great power and responce is far better then the std ones. So I am very happy with my choice and would do the same in a second and wouldnt hesitate to use him. With about 1.3 bar I reach very close to the limit of my AFM and inj car made 254awkw. enough for me but could always do with more but with more comes more $$$$. Ok rambled on enough

Good luck

Hey man

I think you got to do some research wat power do you want etc then try and find some options, garret are very good but pricey. If I were building a high power engine yeah I would spend big $$$. Me on the other hand just wanted something that got me to the limits of the inject and AFM otherwise its big $$$$ to upgrade those with clutch etc. So anyway I bought some from antimatter on this forum think about $800 each garret wheels and generic housing. they make great power and responce is far better then the std ones. So I am very happy with my choice and would do the same in a second and wouldnt hesitate to use him. With about 1.3 bar I reach very close to the limit of my AFM and inj car made 254awkw. enough for me but could always do with more but with more comes more $$$$. Ok rambled on enough

Good luck

That's it for last 2 months i'v been researching everything for example around the 260kw mark there's heads gaskets needed and etc at the moment I'm searching for what it can handle before I pull it apart! It's for drift purposes only I'm sure 260s enough! I'll have a look antimatter to cheers

A guy I know had one of those horror stories.

He bought an ebay turbo, spent a fair lump of coin getting the retarded odd ball thing fitted.

It had a weird rear housing bolt pattern, odd oil feed lines, and generally nothing fitted.

It was all custom made to make it all work.

He stuck the car on the dyno and right near the 7000rpm mark... KA-BOOOM!

The turbine wheel had exploded and torn the housing apart and sent bits of molten metal all over the engine bay.

The shrapnel from the grenade tore open the oil feed line and 'WOOF' Big oil FIRE!

The $600 odd dollar turbo cost him more than the turbo was worth to get fitted, it cost dyno time, it cost him the junker turbo and an exstinguisher and the kicker.. a new head and a big bunch of new hoses!

Now ask yourself, does that sound like it was a bargin??

Holset, Garrett, HKS, IHI, Apexi.. any of the real brands do their homework and put the runs on the board so bad crap like this doesn't happen to you..

you have been warned.

short of the car burning to the ground while your in it thats pretty much the worst case senario there is hahaha sorry to hear about your mates luck... its true tho these ebay specials are not worth the scrap they are made out of....some ppl have sucess with them but i have had a few mates who have had them and die a short time after fitting.

If your looking at budget options, then id second everyone elses opinion on here and look at hypergear and KKR. They are good quality products. Although at the end of the day they are still not going to be quite as good as your big brand name turbos.

In terms of ebay turbos, there is a lot of heresay about them. Some people on here say they every single one is shit, but havent once used one. It is true that some are absolute rubbish, but some are quite good. Caveat Emptor!

If you wanted to find out more, id contact Sam at Dr. Drift here in Melbourne. He buys ebay turbos and tests them out. I know he had a highmount ebay turbo on top of an ebay manifold, and it made 300rwkws reliably on his rb25det drift car, so it got thrashed regularly. Im not sure whether he still has the car or what he has done with it nowadays though.

Be aware though that bottom line, especially with turbos is that you do get what you pay for in the majority of cases

• 2 months later...

We've had great success with a supplier of TD06L2-20G copies, after the R32 RB25DET 305 rwkw was retired from active duty early last year, the kit was then sold, and I believe is still performing admirably.

We have also seen some reliable results from other people using the OBX T67 on ebay.

A guy I know had one of those horror stories.

He bought an ebay turbo, spent a fair lump of coin getting the retarded odd ball thing fitted.

It had a weird rear housing bolt pattern, odd oil feed lines, and generally nothing fitted.

It was all custom made to make it all work.

He stuck the car on the dyno and right near the 7000rpm mark... KA-BOOOM!

The turbine wheel had exploded and torn the housing apart and sent bits of molten metal all over the engine bay.

The shrapnel from the grenade tore open the oil feed line and 'WOOF' Big oil FIRE!

The $600 odd dollar turbo cost him more than the turbo was worth to get fitted, it cost dyno time, it cost him the junker turbo and an exstinguisher and the kicker.. a new head and a big bunch of new hoses!

Now ask yourself, does that sound like it was a bargin??

Holset, Garrett, HKS, IHI, Apexi.. any of the real brands do their homework and put the runs on the board so bad crap like this doesn't happen to you..

you have been warned.

Big Oil fire you say, its very hard to light up oil.

Yes, even then, I have put out a house fire with just used engine oil..... See if you can set oil alight with a cutting oxy.

Most of your big truck fires are oil line related. They blow an oil line, it sprays onto the manifold and up she goes!!!!

And it ain't pretty watching a +$200K prime mover burning out on a highway with no firetruck for 100's of km [and no I don't drive trucks for a living].

I think what Duncan mentioned is pretty key - get them balanced locally by a professional if you are going to get one.

psi - did your mate do this?

I personally don't want one if they can't even balance them correctly from their factory - doesn't say much for the manufacturing processes and quality control in place.