SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

paulr33

I'd be glad to least try organising one... i am an enthusiast... If i could pull up smethin i willl let ya knw... i'd be glad to roll wid fellow skyline mates... :D

good man. doesnt have to be complicated. pick a place to meet, and a time. if you know a good place to then go hang/eat/whatever, then put that in. give people about a weeks notice and bingo. meet

question for ash. when are we picking the rest of the comittee? cos my offer to help out with events, slightly weak as it was, still stands

Running a volunteer club is challenging, I co-founded a 2nd generation of a new club in University only to watch the club fail the very next year due to lack of volunteers.

Volunteers are everything to a voluntary club, there's no one paid to organise all the events or anything, so feel free to volunteer :D

That said, I'm not available to help at the moment due to certain issues, however I'm also not complaining about the clubs lack of events either, although I would love to see more cruises / social meets :)

LMAO!

thanks for the info a few pages back peeps.

but i want something thats RWD and fun to slap around at a track day.

na r33's are slow. but can they get sideways?

^^ :D sounds like ebay.. A+++ highly recommended

If there was a weekly informal catchup in the inner suburbs i'd come along (i'm not talking about an official sau event, just regular meeting up and talking shit, playing pool, whatever)

Wow, can't believe I missed this one. Wouldn't be right to leave it alone without my tl;dr input would it?

OP, man, go to events section...click new thread...write some details down...turn up to it. It is seriously that easy. Why do you think people won't come to your event? If there's as many people as you lot say, who are in dire need of a casual meet - well if you build it, they will come! Even if you get one or two people along you will make friends with them and consequently more in the future.

This thread is such a massive contradiction. Seems to me the main argument of those complaining about a lack of events is "there are so many of us wanting to go to an event...but we can't organise it ourselves because people won't turn up". That's some pretty backwards logic right there.

I don't get this intimidation crap either. It's intimidating being the new guy...no one's denying that. But whether you organise the event or someone else organises it for you, you're still going to have to rock up to it at some point and meet strangers! The organisation of it doesn't change that. So what's the difference? Seems to me the level of effort involved on your behalf and that's about it?

Yes it's intimidating trying to meet new people...but guess what...so is going up to some chick and asking her out...that's life for you. If you can't find the testicular fortitude to organise a casual meet up with a couple of strangers who you share something in common with, then how are you going to go with finding a partner or participating in a career defining job interview? You people are old enough to drive, I say you are old enough to organise. People who frequent these forums and the members of SAU Vic are some of the friendliest people around...in fact the majority of car club types are friendly from my experience. The reason we're in a club in the first place is because we're friendly people who like mixing with others, hence the term club.

SAU Vic members complaining about a lack of activity in social events...put your hands up for detroit / SAU Vic. Committee is made up of volunteer members...there is no difference between us and you, except for the fact that when we don't like the way something is being done...we don't just complain about it...we try to change it ourselves. So what's your excuse for not volunteering? We all have fulltime jobs and busy social lives. Well done to Basti for volunteering his efforts...we need more like this and then we WILL have social events on a regular basis. The tool for change is in the mirror.

I'd be glad to least try organising one... i am an enthusiast... If i could pull up smethin i willl let ya knw... i'd be glad to roll wid fellow skyline mates... :D

Give it a shot mate. Trust me, it's not difficult at all. People will be up for it, and if they aren't, what have you lost in it? 30 seconds worth of thread posting time. Just do it!

anything can get sideways... i had the elgrand sidways last night going around a bend... not by choice, probably one of the scariest moments ive had in a vehicle and ive been off into a ditch at 70kmh.

would have been funny to see though... huge rwd van sideways wheels a spinning and tyres screeching trying to find grip.

is it possible to get a pager alarm controller copied? we dont have a spare and the one we got with the car f**ked up last night when i was at cricket finals... we got caught out in the down pour last night playing a game and by the time i got back to the club rooms the control was f**ked. Now it at least turns on but theres nothing on the screen and i couldnt move the van til like 6 hours later.

is it possible to get a pager alarm controller copied? we dont have a spare and the one we got with the car f**ked up last night when i was at cricket finals... we got caught out in the down pour last night playing a game and by the time i got back to the club rooms the control was f**ked. Now it at least turns on but theres nothing on the screen and i couldnt move the van til like 6 hours later.

talk to danny, he can duplicate the code on a fresh alarm... well technically its more like making your alarm learn a new key's code.

I cannot see how the frustration is at all valid. We have what, 6 or 7 people on Committee (excluding motorsport) for a club of 300 people. To even expect that level of activity IMO is wrong.

You know first hand exactly how busy it can be with everything, how people get caught up with other priorities and never do the job they said they would on Committee.

That leaves me with my hands ultimately tied behind my back. "X" person says they will help, then "X" person does very little... The club is what looses out at the end of that arrangement.

If those people with frustrations, were on committee and helping to organise events, then where wouldn't be any would there?

these were frustrations we had with the club like 6 years ago, so we did something proactive n organised our own little meetups at Rock Kung and the 24hr Burwood Kmart for Nandos or Pizza. Or we went to the NS meets, before it went to shit. I'm not saying its the committee's responsibility to provide weekly social events to attend. I'm trying to say that the older members need to take that initiative.

When I lived in Bundoora, we had La Trobe Uni meets (and wiper wars in the carparks) and we did Sunday morning coffee/breakfasts of champions at Lakes Blvd in South Morang every month. Had about 10 people turn up regularly:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/No...ly-t110601.html

Wouldn't be hard to just continue those meets or use the spots and maps or routes as starting points.

also my grammar and spelling is fucking amazing for 6 in the morning after a night on the town.

You're the one missing the point. Why does SAU-Vic need to organise meets EVERY week when there are plenty of other car clubs that already do this?

How many other clubs host DECA days? Organize GOR trips? Run frequent track days? Some do, yes, but most don't. SAU-Vic clearly has a different objective and goals to your typical "cruise club", and if you don't like that then either put your hand up to help or look else where for those events.

You're wrong Kez. I've been on the committee in the past as an event organiser and what you're saying is way off. SAU Vic is it's own club and shouldn't (and isn't) relying on other car clubs to take care of the social aspect of being into cars.

In this case, Alex is right. There is a lack of social meet up days. Of all of the friends I've made in my time here, the majority would be from smaller social style meets where you stand around in a car park in the freezing cold talking shit with people you just met.

I agree that 'HOON' came on sounding like a flog with his first posts, but it was obvious he wasn't coming on here asking where he could find some street drifting. He wanted one of the same social meets that used to be the root of this club, and I know for a fact that Ash wants those as much as the next person as that is specifically what I and a few others were on the committee to do at the time.

you guys can all suck a big fat dick with your "there's plenty events and if you cared you'd make one yourself" drivel. seriously, this broken record needs to be put to rest.

for starters, lots of people attend social meets that are organised by the lads in the SE burbs, but you guys are probably too new to remember that these social meets were started out of frustration with SAU-VIC's inability to provide regular small scale local social meets and cruises. SAU-VIC is great at organising motorsport events and epic cruises, but at a grassroots level, the only social interaction is on the forum. At its peak we had independent groups in the north and south east organising dinner meets/cruises... nowadays its just the SE guys who carry the tradition.

now, onto the topic of taking initiative, if a newbie or someone relatively unknown posts up a cruise or a meet, lets just assume they actually know how to organise a proper one, the thread usually gets you trolls in there bagging them out for being a hoon meet or "sif attend an amature meet". It takes a fair amount of experience to organise a meet (post thread, directions, updates etc, show up on time, make sure venue can cater for parking etc) and an even more amount of skill to organise a cruise. Hell I'd never go to a cruise a newbie posts up, but I would check out one a regular organises.

So with that said, you guys who are regulars need to harden the fuck up and take more initiative to help out newcomers. And maybe try, as hard as it may, to occasionally dismount your gilded fucking high horses to show a bit more empathy towards someone new to the community who may not know where to look, or who to talk to, or even how to spell.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've had way too much alcohol, so I'm gonna go sleep it off.

Fuck all y'all. Cept the newbies... cos we :thumbsup: newbies.

My nigga.

I also believe that the increased amount of defects/EPA's and the media sprooking it's 'hoon' propaganda has hurt the social scene a lot as well. A lot of people are almost scared to meet up in a car park, to stand around and talk, as there's a VERY real chance they'll be paying a high price for it.

And don't give me the shit about 'if you keep your car legal, you'll have nothing to worry about', because it's bullshit and you know it. If you don't, you're an idiot.

some dude hit the curb next to his lane, then steered the other way and crossed 3 lanes n almost ran head on into me last night on heatherton road at like 5am. that was fun.

heatherton road is awesome... i ran up someones arse the other day because i was checking my mirrors to change lanes and some spastic lady pulled out at that same moment and made everyone in front of me slam on their brakes... by the time i looked back i was about 10m from them and slammed on the anchors... too late... poor old VL didnt stand a chance with its shitty old brakes. oh well... lucky i dont give a shit about that car and have a spare front end from the last one i had.

talk to danny, he can duplicate the code on a fresh alarm... well technically its more like making your alarm learn a new key's code.

hmmmmmm.... can you send me his number? wheres danny live these days?

LMAO!

thanks for the info a few pages back peeps.

but i want something thats RWD and fun to slap around at a track day.

na r33's are slow. but can they get sideways?

go for a s13 if sideways is ur thing

I also believe that the increased amount of defects/EPA's and the media sprooking it's 'hoon' propaganda has hurt the social scene a lot as well. A lot of people are almost scared to meet up in a car park, to stand around and talk, as there's a VERY real chance they'll be paying a high price for it.

And don't give me the shit about 'if you keep your car legal, you'll have nothing to worry about', because it's bullshit and you know it. If you don't, you're an idiot.

Hmm, I can see why that would be a problem. To be honest I can imagine a cop seeing a bunch of Skylines together and thinking, "hmm, defect party!". Even if they look over everyone's cars and find nothing (which would surprise me), who wants to stand around while cops inspect their car? The trick would be to find somewhere that cops aren't likely to drive past, but that could look suspicious in itself. Hmm, 6 Skylines in an industrial estate? Wonder what they're up to? Not to mention the lack of food suppliers in such areas.

Just a question: what about smaller "chapters" within SAU-VIC? I'm a newbie with no understanding how the club works, but I'm wondering if we could have smaller committees (even 1-3 people) responsible for social events in a section of Melbourne, and others for their town in rural areas. Obviously this will only work if people are willing to take on the responsibility, but could it be done?

Wow, can't believe I missed this one. Wouldn't be right to leave it alone without my tl;dr input would it?

OP, man, go to events section...click new thread...write some details down...turn up to it. It is seriously that easy. Why do you think people won't come to your event? If there's as many people as you lot say, who are in dire need of a casual meet - well if you build it, they will come! Even if you get one or two people along you will make friends with them and consequently more in the future.

This thread is such a massive contradiction. Seems to me the main argument of those complaining about a lack of events is "there are so many of us wanting to go to an event...but we can't organise it ourselves because people won't turn up". That's some pretty backwards logic right there.

I don't get this intimidation crap either. It's intimidating being the new guy...no one's denying that. But whether you organise the event or someone else organises it for you, you're still going to have to rock up to it at some point and meet strangers! The organisation of it doesn't change that. So what's the difference? Seems to me the level of effort involved on your behalf and that's about it?

Yes it's intimidating trying to meet new people...but guess what...so is going up to some chick and asking her out...that's life for you. If you can't find the testicular fortitude to organise a casual meet up with a couple of strangers who you share something in common with, then how are you going to go with finding a partner or participating in a career defining job interview? You people are old enough to drive, I say you are old enough to organise. People who frequent these forums and the members of SAU Vic are some of the friendliest people around...in fact the majority of car club types are friendly from my experience. The reason we're in a club in the first place is because we're friendly people who like mixing with others, hence the term club.

SAU Vic members complaining about a lack of activity in social events...put your hands up for detroit / SAU Vic. Committee is made up of volunteer members...there is no difference between us and you, except for the fact that when we don't like the way something is being done...we don't just complain about it...we try to change it ourselves. So what's your excuse for not volunteering? We all have fulltime jobs and busy social lives. Well done to Basti for volunteering his efforts...we need more like this and then we WILL have social events on a regular basis. The tool for change is in the mirror.

Give it a shot mate. Trust me, it's not difficult at all. People will be up for it, and if they aren't, what have you lost in it? 30 seconds worth of thread posting time. Just do it!

just so we are clear.. i have not asked for more events and frankly couldnt care if there are none i was only speaking from someone like "hoons" perspective as a new member who wants to meet up and talk shit which is what the car scene is founded on and probaly even what got this club started in the first place, not motorsport days and epic cruises and some may like the think

scarface the police issue wont change wont matter where you go or what your doing, but your usually safer in packs for one but provided your not ripping a skid if your hanging out talking shit your usually ok.. if your in an industrial estate.. lol well run is the best advice i can offer